Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Three44s
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 12
      • Overall: 13

I have a pre 64 Winchester model 70 standard long action with a custom sporter barrel.

I am looking for options to stock it. I am seeking a solution that does not cost a fortune.

Thanks in advance

Three 44s

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Boyd’s isn’t bad for cost and generally fit . If yours is the 3 screw it will most likely require some special fitting for that front screw .

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213
      Three44s
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks for the fast response ……… on a holiday no less !

Yes, mine is the two piece bottom and three screw.

I really like the Boyds stocks but that ebay item currently at 31.XX is pretty reasonable.

I am a farmer/rancher so a good plain stock without much drop at the heel and something I can work on myself to upgrade to suit me is just about as good as it gets. We will see what happens!

Thanks again

Three 44s

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Boydes is the easy solution.
      Or you could go with Richards microfit and some figure.
      Makes for an awesome winter project.

Three44s
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks Goodsteel!

I like those Richards stocks and I see Boyds do have dimensions for pre 64’s after all. Between the used stocks on ebay and these custom stocks, I have lots to chose from now ……… very good!

I was a little confused on an ebay listing ……. the seller of one of them refered to his stock as coming from a .264 Win and called it a magnum length and not standard ……… ?

Wouldn’t a .264 Win be a standard long action and not a magnum in a model 70 Win? Are not the magnums in a model 70 going to be 300 H&H and 375 H&H lengths?

The reason I ask is mine is a 7mm Rem mag as it came to me ……… though it is serialed to about 1947 …….. It is a 2 piece bottom and three screws.

Three 44s

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

The Pre-64 Model 70 rifles were all just one action length irregardless of the calibre. Winchester used extended bolt stops for the shorter rounds and milled out the rear of the action for the H&H length cartridges. The engineering was such that one doesn’t notice any issues between the various length cartridges. They cam in cartridge lengths from the 22 Hornet to the 375 H&H.

Three44s
      Participant
      • Bronze

Ah, I can go to bed now ………. LOL!

I learned something fruitful right there! Thank you much!

The image of the .22 hornet standing toe to toe with a .375 H&H is going to hang around for a while now ………

Best regards

Three 44s

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.