Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 157
      • Overall: 169

I’m gettin’ close to my first smelting. There’s close to 80# of pure lead stick-on wheel weights I’ve got separated out. I’m going to put them up in ingots separately. But I’ve a question: Do I try and dissolve the sticky adhesive on the back before putting them in the pot or just throw ’em in the pot and deal with the melted sticky stuff as it comes to the surface?

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Outside, stand up wind, and let it burn off and then skim the remainder.

Propane burner, propane tank halved, and big ladle
      10 Lyman ingot molds

My method, fill the pot to FULL with lead stuff, then turn on the gas and let all melt.
      Stir the mix, clear off any big stuff and obvious stuff.
      Flux the metal.
      Make ingots of the metal in the pot.
      Turn off the gas and let the pot harden, I leave 1 inch of lead in the bottom of the pot so
      as not to burn the bottom of the pot.
      Once semi-hard, add more lead stuff and do it all over again.
      Should get rid of any hidden water this way and be safer.

I normally get close to 80 ingots out of one burn

Mike

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

One of the greatest lead fluxes ever discovered is plain old saw dust. I do not use it in my casting pot, but it’s a God send in the smelting pot. When you cook down your lead, and all the sticky stuff comes to the surface, throw in a couple handfuls of sawdust and stir it vigorously. The sticky stuff will adhere to the sawdust, and the sawdust will flux your pot very nicely. I usually throw a chunk of beeswax in there too.
      Use a long handled steel spatula to scoop the crap off the surface, and you should be left with really clean lead.

That’s how you deal with sticky stuff in the pot.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks. Being a retired professional woodworker, I’ve plenty of sawdust……….and have been using it since I started casting. (yes, in my 20# pot!) If I ever run out, I certainly know how to make more! 😉 Glad to know the sticky stuff isn’t a problem. One fella over on “the other forum” suggested I soak the sticky backed stuff in solvent to get it off. Didn’t sound right to me. Can’t wait to get my pot so I can start smelting. Can’t afford a bunch of Lyman ingot casting forms (only have one) but I bought two really nice 12 cavity muffin pans today. Tried one out with my Lee pot to see if I’d have sticking problems like some have mentioned. The one I cast fell right out. I’ve got most of the tools for smelting, but need to make a big wooden spatula for stirring and pot scraping. Also need to go to Harbor Freight and get some metal stamps so I can mark the ingots I make.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

I’ve not tried this on a larger scale but soda cans with the tops cut off work for ingot molds.Cut them so they hold just enough to fill my old Lee 10 lb. cast iron pot and stack bricks around them to keep from tipping.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks for the tip…………I’ve heard of that before. I think that would be good for starting an empty pot, but I’d be afraid of trying to add a slug of lead like that to an already molten one.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.