This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Darren McCann 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
     Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 506
    • Overall: 558
    • Gold

Thought I’d start off 2018 right with a supply of good bullets.  So Saturday I slipped down to my casting area and went on a “cast-a-thon……

I mixed up some #2 alloy in the Lyman Mag 20 and began casting. Using NOEs 310-165-FN 30 XCB and a 314299 mould (both are 4 cavity) I managed to have a good casting session.  Ended up with 5-600 XCBs (in top bread pan) and 4-500 of the 314299s (in the bottom bread pan)……

The XCBs will mostly be used in DAWN, my 30×60 XCB, at 2900 fps.  My local range has a silhouette pig “dinger” at 300 yards.  Lots of fun to watch the AR zombie blaster jaws drop as I hit it dead center time after time.  Even the regular rifle shooters are amazed at the accuracy and especially the velocity a cast bullet can do.  Busting clays on the berm at 310 yards is a lot of fun also.

The 314299s will mostly be used in my Finn M39 which I mostly win the CBA military rifle matches over in Phoenix with.   It sure makes the boys with the M903s grind their teeth getting beat by a MN…..!  They’re good guys though and it’s a lot of fun shooting with them.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

Them’s some ‘purty Boolits – maybe we should find you another odd ball rifle that shoots cast real good to make the guys at Ben Avery all upset.  How about your 45-70 Trapdoor assault rifle.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

I do need to cast up some projectiles for the TDs……when on my walk abouts in the desert there are many “hostiles” to shoot……..rocks, sticks, dirt clods, etc…….

The new movie coming out, “Hostiles”, may get them fuzzed up…….

“Steady men, set your sights…..hostiles to the front………”

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

Well that “good amount” of 30 XCBs went fast…….have 100 loaded up for CBA matches and still have 50 loaded in the 30×60 XCB for testing at 600 yards.  The rest went shooting at 500 yards with the 10″ and 14″ twist .308Ws……was fun but now I have to cast some more……will it never end……..?

slim1836 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 62
    • Overall: 65

I been busy myself, got a Lyman 450 lately and been lubing for my .45, .308, and M/N. Now I’ve got tumble lubed bullets with Alox & 45/45/10, powder coated bullets, and now lube groove bullets.

Now for load development in each category. Decisions, decisions. In the meantime, I’ve gotta buy some more Carnauba Red.

Going to save money soon, I hope.

Slim

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

Yeah, I sure spend a lot to save some……one of these days I’ll try to figure out how much I’ve saved………

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

At a buck a round for factory ammo, your probably close to a million dollars!

Darren McCann 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 15
    • Overall: 19

Good evening,

I just had the conversation with a fellow that I have shot with at the indoor club. I shoot a falling block 32-40 indoors at 40 yards. The only loaded Ammo avaliable is $2.90 a round. Reloads with HS-6 and a cast PB boolit about 12 cents. I have almost washed out on the price of the rife in Ammo cost. Plus I feel way better squeezing the trigger at 12 cents….I shudder to think a casual plinking afternoon would burn up a couple of hundred bucks……and being able to always make more makes it easier to shoot more!!!

Wash, rinse and repeat as many times as needed………

Darren

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.