Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 71
      • Overall: 76

When looking at most Lee molds if one holds the handles the actuating part of the sprue cutter points away from your handles (with the exception of the 6C units). I have several custom molds that can be mounted in the handles with the sprue cutter actuator (the part one whacks with the tapper) pointing away from the handles or towards the handles. To date, I cut the sprues by hand useing thumb pressure on the actuator and find it is more convenient to hang the mold so the cutter actuater faces the handles giving me better leverage.

Is there a reason other than useing a tapper and maybe whacking a thumb that orienting the cutter pointing towards the handles like most nut cracker molds is not advisable?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

It’s your preference. Personally, I see a mold set up like that, and it looks like somebody who put their shoes on the wrong feet. However, there are lots of casters who run a mold that way (I think Sgt.Mike does too) and there’s nothing wrong with it as long as you get bullets to drop clean and sharp.
      Different strokes for different folks (pun intended).

MTtimberline
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 37
      • Overall: 40

For me it’s always away from the handles. Tried it the other way, but it was like trying to write left handed so I know what Tim is saying.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 71
      • Overall: 76

Thanks gentlemen, I have my answer.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

You should still pour the hole next to the pivot screw as it’s sprue cools faster.

Brodie
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 4
      • Overall: 5

I find that orienting the sprue cutter away from the handles makes cutting the sprue easier for me because it gives me more leverage. I cut the sprue with my gloved hand. I find that this works better for me, cuts down on the clutter around my casting area, and is easier on the mould.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 20

I’ve tried it both ways and like the cutter towards the handles. It is closer to my gloved hand that way. It just seems faster that way. For years I did it the other way.

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

I use a tapper so cutter away from handles

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Away from the handles for me. The other direction, I can manage to whack myself with the mallet (I use cut off pieces of old shovel handles or hammer handles).

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

broken shovel handle .. mallet end wrapped in duct tape

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.