Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

My son is looking to buy a new spotting scope and I was hoping to get some expert opinions.
      I know he wants to spend less than $1000 and get something you can see bullet holes clearly at 200 yds.
      He was looking at the Vortex Razor 16X48 with the 65mm objective.
      Does anyone have any experience with these scopes.
      I think the can be purchased for around $750 on Optics Planet.

Thanks for your help,
      WCM

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I know I’m in the minority on this but I bought a Tasco 16-40×60 I believe at 8-900 yds I had no difficulty reading a license plate at 500 it was possible to make out the month of expiration . It was plenty of scope for what I needed at that time . It was of course to heavy to pack . It was under $90 in 99′ .
      a friend of mine has had a Bushnell since the early 90s it is a nice piece as well about $200 then . These days it gets a little fuzzy around the edges above 45x .

Optics have come a long ways , the coating make a lot of difference in light gathering and image quality .
      At a $1000 he’s getting into the top end of field grade equipment and 60x plus I don’t have any suggestions aside from if it were me I’d hit the super toy stores and try a dozen out from a research list and look through a Leo right next to a Tasco next to Vortex at Scheels , Cabela’s and Sportsman’s Warehouse so I could look at multiple examples then go eat dinner look over my list and see if it was I had a consensus of little marks then go to the best deal store and hit them with a price match . You might find a “better for you” spotting scope for less money than you planned on spending .

I’m not saying a Bariska is going to somehow eclipse a Loupy , but if it comes down to seeing a .310x.325 at 500 vs 600 and knowing it’s out of round by .015 and the cost difference is $300 I’m going to take Ms to dinner and buy a new seating die that would make me wish I’d spent the other $300 on glass .

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I have not looked through a spotting scope that I could see groups at 300 yds ,so they must be beyond my price range like Night force.

I know nothing about Vortex except they have some smart a$$ people answering the phone.
      Sorry arrogance is one of my pet peeves.

JRR
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 84
      • Overall: 107

Check out the SWFA website. I think they list a Vortex 20-60 X 80 for about $500. Many other choices as well
      https://swfa.com/optics/browse/spotting-scopes.html?pg=4

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Big difference between the diamondback and the Razor HD. Still, the Razor 16-48X65 is on closeout sale there for low money ($799).
      I would caution restraint when it comes to power vs quality. There is a huge and noticeable difference between a high power junker and a low power with superb quality. I think I could clearly see 22 caliber bullet holes at 200 yards with a superb 15X scope, but I have looked through 60 power scopes (or so they claim) that wouldn’t let me see 45-70 holes out yonder.
      I went middle kind of low end with my scope and I use an Oculus 20-60X65 scope. It does perfectly fine for seeing 30 caliber bullet holes out to 400 yards without issue, but it gets a little dodgy out at 600+.
      You get what you pay for.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I believe there is a big difference in the ability to see .30 cal holes versus .22 cal.
      I think he chose the Vortex Razor HD 20X60 85mm

They are $1170 at Optics planet. for the old model.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Not impressed with the Vortex Razor scope ,so it goes back.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

WCM;n15797 wrote: Not impressed with the Vortex Razor scope ,so it goes back.

Could you please elaborate? I was thinking of buying the Vortex Razor one day. I’d like to know what was seen. Thanks!

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Goodsteel;n15798 wrote:

Could you please elaborate? I was thinking of buying the Vortex Razor one day. I’d like to know what was seen. Thanks!

I couldn’t get it to focus crystal clear. It was about 77F and some mirage, but nothing like it gets when it is 90F.
      I was looking at targets I had previously shot and put back up at 220 yds.
      I could barely see the holes .some were 25 cal and some were 30 cal.
      I could not distinguish a group.

I can see just about as well with my old Nikon 15X45.

This scope is not worth the money to me.
      You may have a different opinion, because
      It is nothing like the clarity I get when I look through my Leupold Mk4 8.5X25 scope.

Not for my money I won’t buy it.

I understand their gen 2’s are better, but for that kind of money I can buy a Leupold gold ring 20X40.and I know it will be clear.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Thank you for that report!

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I am following this thread with great interest as I have been mulling over which spotting scope to buy for several years now. I just can’t make up my mind. I am currently using a cheap astronomical telescope which produces surprisingly good results at the bench. I don’t worry too much about somebody breaking it, and someone always wants to borrow it because they didn’t bring anything that can see a hole past 25 yards.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I like the Leupold 20X40 X 60mm Golden ring.
      At least it is made here and not China.

We may give it a try as soon as I send the other scope back.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.