Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I’m going to contact the local fire dept. and see if I can get some information. Any other suggestions?
      Im wanting to use this to hang my steel plates on, because honestly, the chains I’m using now are being plundered mercilessly. I hear fire hose is the cats meow for this, and I recon one old hose would take care of a bank of plates for years.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Who would be stupid enough to plunder a chain that holds a target of a MBT weapon?

I pity that fool.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well, to start with, my buddy JT came out with his AR-15s yesterday. He likes the modularity of those rifles, do he’s always switching the scopes around and getting back on target. The chains suffered.
      Then I was testing my new 45 caliber rifle bullet, and I found that after several hits, the shock was tearing the chains in two. (sigh)
      Then I worked them over with the 270 with 150 grain bullets. Treated the bolts holding the plates like so much silly putty. (Sheesh!)

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I can probably find some if you can’t get some. It’s been about 10 yr since I left the VFD and at that time there was ……I think kevlar being integrated into the hoses for cut and abrasion resistance since then there has been hot work gloves made from kevlar also.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

There’s a VFD right up the road from me Harter.

Ive helped out several of the local police officers over the years, and I had in mind to have a BBQ one Sunday for the fellas.
      Maybe the best thing is to plan a BBQ for the VFD too. If shooting occurs, it won’t take long for the problem to present itself.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

My miss-understanding. I read your post as if someone was stealing your chains. LOL!

Years ago, I was shooting at a range that suspended 100 yd cardboard targets by a long horizontal fencing wire. With a stray lead bullet, I knocked down everybody’s target. Very embarrassing. I’ve carried fencing pliers in my shooting box after that.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

If you want new fabric you can try these guys: http://www.heavydutyfabric.com

a Google search for “firehouse material” yielded a bunch of different places that had used hoses for sale. Don’t know how much you want to pay as the prices are all over the place.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Dude! I’m a cast bullet guy. Cheap is never cheap enough. LOL!
      Ill check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Used fire hose for sale online? Wonders never cease.

blackthorn
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 17
      • Overall: 17

You might have some luck at an industrial salvager since they wreck old plant buildings and the old fire hoses just go in a scrap bin.

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

I got some used water to sell you for that used fire hose 🙂 🙂

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

OK, but only if it’s real, genuine, certified, firemans water…….

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Also, you can use old conveyor belts and in cotton gin country they may be found
      Mike

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I was reading up on this earlier. One guy (THR. forum perhaps?) mentioned that tow straps work quite well too.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

When I was head Range Officer I talked some guys out of the their old conveyor belting – that’s some tough stuff – it will bounce 22 LR off of it at distance.

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

Tow straps can be bought pretty cheap from harbor freight

Bullseye67
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 16
      • Overall: 16

Good afternoon,
      I was/am having the same problem. I originally welded chains on to some mild, still hard but not AR500 hard, plates. About 10X14X1/2 inch rectangles. After a couple of sessions the chains were broken. It seemed most of the damage was from the shock of the hit, not the bullet strikes on the chain. I had used some large truck tire chain cross bars that were no longer usable for road duty. So fairly stout, but not logging chain stout. I seemed to have solved the problem with 3 inch load binding straps. The yellow ratchet kind used for securing loads on trailers. Around here they are along the side of the highway shoulders or a stop at any trucking lay-down yard will get you a pickup truck full. They can’t be used if they are frayed or sun faded and they also expire. So a resource in need of re-purposing…and FREE 🙂 I welded a hoop on the back, about 3/4 of the way to the top, on the back of the plate, so they would hang almost straight, a slight angle to direct the splash towards the ground. Then threaded the strap through, to make a loop, burned/melted 3X 1/4 inch holes and bolted the ends to the hangers. So far works like a charm. Next time I am at the farm I will take some pictures. The plates seem to dance and swing more. I shot one strap 6 times with 45 colt, 4 times with a 45/70 and several 100’s of 22 LR. Then the plate, 50 rounds at 100 yards, with 35 Whelen and it didn’t break. The straps seem to get lead splash stuck on them but doesn’t seem to make a difference. When shot the nylon webbing seals shut, kind of like, the self healing plastic/rubber targets. I hope this helps…..

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Helps a lot! Thanks!!
      Sounds like you put yours through the kind of abuse I’m going to be putting mine through. Yep. Just like that, 45-70 and all.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.