Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      uncle jimbo
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 21
      • Overall: 26

https://www.wired.com/2015/06/i-made-an-untraceable-ar-15-ghost-gun/

I read this and not sure how much of it to believe. I know ghost guns can be made,but author makes is sound easy for anyone to do and the cost is not a big expense. And you being the only gun smith I know, hoped you might comment on it.

uncle jimbo

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

That’s the only way to obtain an AR in Kalifornia these days…. lol

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

The other way I know of is to buy a mold and the pins and mix epoxy and pour yourself a ghost lower. Kits with enough epoxy for 1-3 guns are not that expensive.

As to the 80% lower thing, twice I have almost bought half a dozen. I figure you will ruin one, maybe two learning how to do it right. Developing the skills, acquiring the right tools.

But if you bought a dozen you should end up with 9-10 good useable guns that are untraceable, that no one knows you have.

But you would need lower parts kits and uppers to make complete guns. Does the government track people who buy X number of each?

Just that thought was enough to breath some caution into my decision.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Personally, I would advise just buying a complete lower and be done with it. They are getting cheaper by the day because so many were betting on Hillary and now there’s a glut of ARs the likes of which has never been seen. They are the new Mil-surp.
      That said, if you want to mill one yourself, for yourself, it’s totally legal. Of course, if you go making them and selling/ “giving” them to your buddies, you’re going to get a visit from the US government and they have very little sense of humor when it comes to such things. The truth is, they cannot track such basement projects, so they don’t even try.
      Now, if you want to do it, then go for it, but the tools required to make a reliable lower are so expensive that you would be money ahead buying two Palmetto State lowers and calling it a day. Personally, I’m set up better than most to do a project like this for myself with absolute perfection, but I have no desire to do so. It’s the equivalent of making myself a kitchen blender from scratch so I don’t have to buy a shiny new KitchenAid. I’ve got better things to do with my time, and I’d rather spend my time reloading or fitting a precision barrel.
      Can it be done? Sure.
      Is it easy? Yep. Once you’ve done a few of them. The first one is a turd.
      Does it work? Yes it does…..if you didn’t screw up.
      Does it offer one iota of protection, or privacy? Not in my opinion.

Of course, the other side to this coin is something that I really wish people would burn a brain cell thinking about. Many many people say they don’t want the government to know what they have. While I agree that a certain level of judicial prudence is wise, I also think that this is America and your voice is what drives the direction this country goes in. I WANT the government to know that I exist, and my firearms are a very big part of my way of life. I want them to know that there are MILLIONS like me, and we are the best part of the USA. IN a dictator run government, you hide like rats and keep secrets. In a country like this, you do like Charlton Heston and hold that firearm over your head and remind them the second amendment is still valid, because we still defend that right and exercise it daily. Someone who lives in secrecy is not free.
      That said, do as you think. It’s a fun project if you’re of a mind to do it.

uncle jimbo
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 21
      • Overall: 26

No desire to build one. Was just curious about the article and the practicality of such a project. With everything one reads today about firearms and trying to restrict them, just don’t know what to believe about some written things.
      Never had a thing for black plastic weapons. Rifle or handgun.
      Thanks for the response.

paul

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’ve had several rifles with home job 80% lowers come through the shop for repair/alteration or trouble shooting. Oddly enough, the issues have always stemmed from the cheap parts used to build the rifles, and the lowers actually work perfectly. I don’t understand that mentality of cheapness when you’re building something that will reflect your personality as a craftsman, but its not something I need to know.

I think if you were committed to building a QUALITY rifle and learned the skills needed to run your files correctly to make that happen, that it could indeed be a feasible option. But if it’s a contest to see how cheap you can slap something together, with the least skillful use of tools……meh, I’ll pass.
      PSA has complete lowers on sale for $130.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

The AR platform has been cloned so much and in such quantity that the low prices negate any benefit of doing it yourself.
      Now, if the 1911 platform would come down in prices similar, we would have something. the 1911 has certainly been cloned, but it still holds generally high prices. Why is that?

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

The shear number of machine operations to make 1.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

Just bought 2 complete lowers from Palmetto state for $139 each, shipping included. Collapsible stock, trigger, everything. Yeah it’s traceable and not really relevant as to the OP, but at that price I cannot see spending time on building my own….

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I’ve assembled 4 from stripped lowers with GI parts . The 1st took about an hour the last about 15 min of actual assembly work I fussed with polish and mating surfaces turns out I spent a lot of time doing stuff that would have done itself in a few hundred rounds . The upper is where a real difference can be made I think . There doesn’t seem to be much room in GI parts for slickem.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

uncle jimbo;n14169 wrote: https://www.wired.com/2015/06/i-made-an-untraceable-ar-15-ghost-gun/

I read this and not sure how much of it to believe. I know ghost guns can be made,but author makes is sound easy for anyone to do and the cost is not a big expense. And you being the only gun smith I know, hoped you might comment on it.

uncle jimbo

got some,
      but my internal are USGI except for the Barrel and bolt on one it’s a 6.5 Grendel from Alexander Arms, love the cartridge not the barrel blank that AA chose.
      was actually easy why did I do one? just to do it because I could.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

we watched a report on the news and now the wife wants to see if she can do one by herself.
      How much milling for the control group is needed? could it be done on a drill press with a 2 axis vise?
      I saw that Midway has a jig for drilling and milling in the correct places.

sundog
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 30

Brownells had Anderson stripped lowers on sale for $44.99 recently (maybe still). If you have any mechanical skills at all, it is my opinion that a stripped lower is better. The few assembly tools needed are inexpensive. Why? Pick the trigger of YOUR choice – this is VERY important. Get the stock and hand grip that YOU want. Do not settle for what they have too much of and trying to peddle inventory down. Wait for sales.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Solid advice.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

All the milling and drilling can be done with a router and a 3/8″ drill. I understand people wanting something that is not papered, but just remember that if you have ever purchased a firearm from a dealer, you are on the “list”. When a dealer gives up his FFL his log book and all his 4473’s have to be mailed to the ATF and all that info is put into a data base. They may not know what you have now but they know what you have bought. If it ever comes to the point where they are coming to pick up the guns they aren’t just going to want the black ones. They will want your Single Six and your Model 94 too. The $45 stripped lowers are the way to go unless you just want to make the lower yourself to see if you can.

Forgot to mention that if you purchase two or more handguns in a five day period the dealer is required to fill out a multiple handgun purchase form on you. It has to be faxed to ATF on the day of transfer and a copy goes to your local CLEO. I know for a fact that this info is entered into a data base. I have had them call me while they were typing it because they couldn’t read something or I had forgotten to write something down.

Phil
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 52
      • Overall: 54

I built one. I programmed my CNC mill to do the task. It came out better than my S&W M&P 15. However it did take a several hours to do the design in Mastercam and monkeying around with some tests and engraving. All that was a one time task. The overall rifle came out nice and is a very good shooter. I posted the tale in the homemade section of this forum back in April of last year. Here again is the link to the build tale:

http://www.calif-tech.com/pdude/Bucket_list/indexA.html

I did not do the build for economic or secrecy reasons. It was an fun task and furthered my learning of the Mastercam CNC design SW. However it was a very economical build resulting in a fine shooter and looker in my biased opinion.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.