This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Harter 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
     Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

We all read about some of this but here’s some in print .

PO Ackley .

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 219
    • Overall: 262

Thanks for posting.  What book is that from?

I’ve always read about the duplex and triplex loads, but never saw the data for them.

2 gn Unique, 25 gn 2400, 3 gn Bullseye for the 230gn @ 2000fps.

I can see starting off with a fast burning powder to act as a bigger primer, but I thought it would be followed by a larger charge of a slower than normal powder.  Then 3 gn of Bullseye on top of it all?  Is that to clean up any unburnt granules of powder?

I wonder how much difference you would get by just mixing all 3 of the powders together and dumping in the case?

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

PO Ackley’s Shooter and handloaders handbook .

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Was it important to keep the powders from migrating/mixing? Probably so, just as in using a small charge of smokeless with some black powder loads.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Looks like the predecessor to the .454 Casull.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I’m sure that it was full case slightly compressed .
    I don’t remember the copy date of the book but I was surprised buy how late the published date was and how old the powders were I’m thinking along the lines 78-82′

Several yr ago there was a guy on CB that did a duplex with something like 45-48 gr of 4895 and 15 gr of W857 in an 06′ family case to get the full/light compressed load for a 200 gr bullet . I don’t recall all the details now and it’s not something I’d jump on but interesting all the same .

It’s like the the idea of putting the flash tubes in small cases like 06′ to burn the powder from the bullet to the base as opposed to it’s original use in 40 mm AA and up into 3″-50 cartridges .

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Flash tubes in .30-06 is an interesting idea, but I think they would be very fragile. Not near as much room as in cannon rounds. Bet they would be expensive too.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I think it was Hatcher and Kieth but I can’t remember now ….FJA on the 03’s during WWII , anyway they did a lot of work with threaded tubes screwed into the flash holes . They picked up a little bit of speed and a little bit of consistency but 100 fps in GI rifle and cartridge didn’t make it worthwhile at the time .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.