This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jniedbalski 15 hours, 9 minutes ago.

• Author
     Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 93
    • Overall: 105

Would soft lead shoot better loaded in 38 special  for wadcutter ammo . I have tried Lyman #2 ,wheel  weights ,wheel weights and soft lead. Right now the 158 Rn shoots better. I don’t have very much soft lead left so I keep it for my bp guns. I have tried wadcutter brass with wadcutters  but the 158 Rn or the swc hard cast shoot better. I shoot them out of a 4 in S&W Model 10 and 64. My load is bullseye 2.8 to 3.5 in the wadcutter ammo. The 158 Rn  or swc I use 3.5 of bullseye. Would soft lead help?

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Forgot to mention that the mold I have is a lee 148 wc . It dosent have the hollow base. It has the solid base with the button nose or raised nose.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 776
    • Overall: 845

I haven’t shot a lot of WC those that I have were very soft and low speed . I shot some WC of WW in 9mm and for grins in a 358 Win .
    38s like something like AC WW and 2.5-3.0 Red Dot for the 148s . Mine were 358432s . The Lee is a TL isn’t it ?

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 483
    • Overall: 532
    • Gold

Years ago (too many to count…..) when I was shooting police competition (PPC and TRC matches) the most accurate loads were factory Remington and Federal WCs.  I could never get my own cast (either the 358091 WCs or the 358477 SWCs) to shoot as accurately until I started using 1-40 (WCs) or 1-30 alloy (SWCs).

I used a .358 H&I die to size and lube (Javelina) which barely sized the bullets.  The nose punch was mated to the bullet nose using “Metal Set”.  The seating stem of the seating dies (had one for each bullet) were also mated to the nose of the bullets.  I also used match 38 SPL cases (Remingtons) that had thinner parallel case walls and had an expander made that expanded the sized case inner diameter at .357  to the base of the bullet.  A taper crimp was used with both bullets.

I used Bullseye powder at 2.7 gr under the WCs and 3.5 gr under the SWCs.

Only after doing the above did my own cast bullet WC/SWCs shoot as well as the Remington or Federal factory match WCs, especially at 50 yards.  In competition I used a 2″ M10 in the TRC “Detective” matches, either my 4″ or 5″ M15 in the “duty” matches and a Power custom PPC on a M15 S&W frame for the standard matches.

Larry Gibson

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

HArter it’s the regular bullet. I thaught about getting the wadcutter in tumble lube but a lot of people on the different forums didint like the tl design so I got the regular one. All my other lee tl bullets shoot fine so maybe I should of got it tumble lube grooves. Larry thanks for the reply I guess I need to get into my stash of soft lead and tin and make some up. The wadcutters I have made and shot are ok but I just want them to shoot as good as my 158 Rn.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 665
    • Overall: 805

Might want to focus on the SWC design. They seem to be more flexible/tolerant/forgiving/easy. Just my experience. Your results may vary.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

The swc shoot as good as the round nose. I got a box from a ex co worker that retired and no longer needs them. It was probably 400 to 450 in the box mixed Swc and Rn. The wadcutters shoot good but not as good as the hard cast factory bullets. I have the noe sizers now that fit in the lee case flaring tool. I got the bigest that thay make in .358 and the four smaller sizes. I can tell just by using this tool the varing case thickness of different brands when I don’t sort cases. Iam also getting better as a pistole shot so my ammo I decided to start reloading better ammo.  I first started out using almost pure lead at first but didint sort my cases. I wasent good enough shot at first to use good ammo. Now I think the better ammo will help. Ism at the point at 12 yards I can get a group that all touch one ragged hole with my better ammo . I have tried different powders but so far with red dot, bullseye, trail boss, Hs6 and unique all seem to group good at that distance. Now I want to get the wadcutters to shoot that good all the time. I will use the info I got here to try out in my next loads and start shooting 15 and 25 yards

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us