Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Last shot and fore end popped off with the screw and lug.Will soldering it back on work?

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

No, it would work for a little while, but it won’t last. You need to find a good welder, preferably someone who can tig weld.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

VANN is correct. That needs a TIG welder. I can take care of it for you if you cannot find anybody locally.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Knew y’all were going to tell me that…….I will ABSOLUTELY never buy another Handi now………I hope

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

Just from looking at the picture, it is hard to tell but that weld would not have taken any kind of a hard hit from the side. Be sure who ever welds it back on goes all the way around the lug, this will allow for a much stronger weld.

A weld doesn’t need a big ugly bead to be strong, but it does need to protected from side load impacts.

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

I would take goodsteel up on his offer

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Yeah…just from my small high school learning I could see that was a sorry excuse for a weld.

ken campbell iowa
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 15
      • Overall: 15

if you have a local ” tigger ” do it… i would locate the stud correctly by a couple drops of epoxy then quick put on the forearm and let the epoxy locate the stud … you have 10-20 minutes … let it cure than tell the welder not to move it .. use release agent except on glue spots ( j wax ) and check that you haven’t glued things together while the epoxy is still pliable … about 45 minutes after mixing … usually … keep checking your excess mix for pliability …

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Just in case you decide to have a gunsmith do it rather than a local tigger, here’s one I just did for a member:

Here’s what it looks like after a trip through the hot tanks: No way is that coming off.

Now, it’s really hard to take a picture down the bore, but hopefully you can see that there is no bubbling or warts on the inside of the barrel, meaning that I set the heat just right on the TIG welder so that I got good penetration, but not too much. Sorry about the picture. I tried.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks Tim.Just the kick in the seat of the pants I needed.Got a couple smithing projects been wanting done.Just a matter of deciding exactly what I want done and what the priorities are.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.