Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Yesterday I smoked a ham bone and some salmon. This morning I put a block of cream cheese and a piece of the smoked salmon into the food processor. Wow. Wonderful on a toasted bagel.

jwt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 18
      • Overall: 20

Wow. Sounds like a breakfast fit for a king.

Do you use the smoked ham bones for soup?

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

“Do you use the smoked ham bones for soup?”

Of course. I start with dried pinto beans. Plenty of diced onions. I like the sweet ones. And, diced potatoes. This is one of those dishes that gets better over night, kinda like good chili. At serving, I like some dried cayenne chiles that been soaking in vinegar for some time. It livens things up. Not just spice wise, but the vinegar adds something you must experience to understand. Myself, I like saltine crackers to suck up the juice. This is a low cost meal that I grew up on. Mom sure could squeeze a lot of flavor out of that bone. Sometimes, we could even find a scrap of actual ham in the soup! My current version contains a lot more ham. Wish Dad was around to enjoy some. The guys at work can slick up a crock pot of it in about 20 minutes.

BTW, notice that chili and chile are spelled differently. They are not interchangeable. I love to stir the pot.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.