Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • โ˜…โ˜…
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Man, I mean if it ain’t one thing it’s another. Got two killer single actions and a dynamite old M&P Smith from the good old days. The all shoot great with Keith SWC’s, ancient Ideal 38Spl castings, but then along comes a new Rossi R92 with its 1:30 twist and I gotta switch gears. My long SWC stuff stinks in the Rossi but I got a Lee 125RF for it. Oh tack driver was the word for it. But me and aluminum moulds are NOT friendly. The mould fell apart. Big sigh, then I tried to use my old iron moulded SWC’s but they shoot poorly. Scattered and some keyhole impact as close as 50yds. All of my SWC’s are nothing but spectacular from my pistols.

Solution: Save up and buy a RCBS 140gr RNFP mould. That’s just like pressing “The Easy button ” on TV. More weight than the Lee 125RF and yet short bearing surface to work in the unusually slow twist of what otherwise is a magnificent rifle. Best of all, no recycled beer can material but I’ll be casting with real iron. Makes the old sarge smile. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Now I just gotta get the new mould and get busy.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • โ˜…โ˜…
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

I feel your pain. Got a killer deal on a Marlin 1894 (?), 44 mag with 1:38 twist. Poor accuracy with just about every common bullet out there. It’s now at Goodsteel’s shop awaiting a new 1:20 Shilen.

JRR
      Participant
      • Silver
      • โ˜…โ˜…
      • Comments: 84
      • Overall: 107

I’ve had good luck with the NOE 358-135GC in my Rossi 20″ .357 mag. A gas checked 9mm, taper crimped. Sized .358″.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • โ˜…โ˜…

Yeppers, I just gotta get a shorter bullet than what I have now. That Lee bullet was a beauty and shot fantastic. However, the mould, like every other Lee I’ve had fell apart, crapped out, and simply failed to produce. Got about 200 out of this one and then it went belly up! So no more. Getting iron. That, I can trust. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • โ˜…โ˜…โ˜…
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Wow, and I’m using 160 grn in 38 spl cases at 850 fps in mine and busting rocks at will ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • โ˜…โ˜…

What can I say? No two guns are alike huh? I loaded some 125RF that I had left from before the mould took a dump. Used the same powder charge and everything. This morning I shot the lighter bullet and ate out the X and 10 ring off the sandbags at 50yds.
      Same everything except an Ideal 357446 SWC and the pattern was scattered in an 8″ circle yesterday. Now I’m hard headed but it doesn’t take a bag of bricks to fall on my head to get my attention.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • โ˜…โ˜…

Got the RCBS 140gr RNFP mould a few days ago. Cast up about 60 or so. Let em “age” a bit and got busy. And my thinking on this mould being the “It” mould/bullet wasn’t off. Took about 3 different loading with various powder weights to hit the mark. The Rossi settled down like a tame Golden Labrador and started putting rounds in the same spot. Testing in my Richards conversion revolver with this bullet was good as well.

The RCBS 140gr is, of course, slightly longer than the Lee 125RF yet with heavier base, lube groove, and driving band. In short, a superior bullet from an obvious superior mould. Couldn’t be more pleased, and hey, it’s iron too! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • โ˜…โ˜…

Minor success with an early 1902 (3) designed Ideal RN. The old 358250 is a dual lube groove round nose that has been out of production for decades. But I have a mould for it and it’s great out of pistols. Tried it in the Rossi R92 and it wasn’t half bad. Around a 2″ group at 50yds and under 5″ at 100yds off a bench and no bags. Can’t complain I suppose.

The 1985 Rossi model 92 in .44Mag is another story. Although the Boser SWC design is pretty good in it at times, it leads up something awful and even from a clean bore its not consistent. Typical .44Mag levergun crap! It’s now going to be trade material as I refuse to own a gun that won’t shoot. And I’m too old and grumpy to waste my time trying to make it work either. There’s lots of good guns out there that do shoot well. The .357mag Rossi stays, .44Mag Rossi goes…..

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ยฉ 2017ย Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.