Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Robroy
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 8
      • Overall: 10

I always thought a fl sizing die needed to be just a bit smaller than the chamber of the gun from which a cartrige was fired. After reading the thread on die polishing I wonder if this is correct. What’s the deal? How much does the brass spring back after being run through the die? More questions likely to follow.
      ​

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

That is correct, but most FL sizing dies are WAY too small to facilitate function in any chamber. Honing them out allows the shooter to make them perfect. I don’t know how far the brass springs back (surely it’s .0005 or so) but I figure that honing the die till it sizes the brass .002 smaller than that which is twice fired in the chamber of the rifle pretty much makes it perfect. Basically, I want the brass to be the exact same fit as a piece that was fired once with a mid level load. Of course the neck section must be reduced enough to hold the bullet properly.

gwpercle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 38

Not all dies are the exact same dimensions and not all chambers are either. There are manufacturing tolerances that work against perfection.
      I have a 1903-A3 Springfield rifle and a set of Redding dies that by chance were perfect for each other. Brass was sized just enough to chamber and could be reloaded many times. That was just dumb luck.
      At one time, if you sent 3 fired cases from your rifle to CH4D , the owner , Dave Davison, would make you a resizing die just for your rifles chamber .
      Using these allows for many reloadings, the brass only gets worked in the neck.
      Gary

Robroy
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 8
      • Overall: 10

Can the same reamer be used to cut a die as cuts a chamber?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Robroy;n14096 wrote: Can the same reamer be used to cut a die as cuts a chamber?

You did what with that chicken?
      Ive made a SEATING die with the same reamer that cut the chamber. I’ve made ammunition gauges with the same reamer. But obviously, neither of those need to squeeze the brass smaller than the chamber or reestablish datum lines.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.