This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Goodsteel 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
     todd 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 38
    • Overall: 54

i finally got around to sighting in my 500L(tc encore, 23″ MGM barrel). i took quite a bit(file, both hand and grinder) of my front sight off. it took me a while to do it, but next all i have to do is take my skinner sight down and right and then i’ll have it.

i was using a 450gr wfn(460gr weighed) and 21.0gr of 2400 and 16.0gr of hs-6. they were both starting loads. 2400 made the bore dirty, it could have been lube or maybe the crimp wasn’t tight enuff. hs-6 was more or less clean. oh, i never even thought of size of the bore. knowing MGM, theres a good(better than good, great) chance that it will be .510″. so i did .512″ boolits.

i started off with the 2400 and about 4th or 5th shot i had to tighten my stock. it was 1 – 1 1/2 turns to tighten the allen head. not much but it does make your shots go place that they shouldn’t . i was only shooting 50 yards, but using a lite load of 2400 did not impress the gun. i’ve shot 3 or 4 groups that go 3 – 3 1/2″ at 50 yards(3 shots).

next i went to hs-6. the difference was outstanding. i shot 2 or 3 groups that would go 3/4 – 1 1/2″ at 50 yards(3 shots). that one i’ll have to test for. i did one group that was 3, 4 and 5 shots. the 3 shots goes approx under 3/4″. the 4th shot i must have pulled because it goes 2 1/2″. the 5th shot( i have to load some more up), not counting the 4th, goes approx 1″.

i don’t have pix, mostly because i was sighting the rifle. next time my handi-capable butt will have to take some pix.

now, the big question is how does it recoil?
    not much. it does recoil about as much as my ruger #1(8.5lbs) in 270 or a tc venture(7.5lbs) in 25-06. i may be explaining it wrong but here it goes, when shooting a 500L the recoil doesn’t go like a 44mag with full power loads, it goes like a 44 sp with skeeter’s load. the recoil is also long and drawn out, not short, violent and to the point. i could shoot the 500L all week and twice on sunday. now i haven’t tried full power loads like h110 or win296, i’ll never need them. but lite to medium loads, the 500L and i will take them!!!

PS
    i think that 2400 goes approx 1300fps+/- and hs-6 goes approx 1200fps+/-. i’m just guessing……..

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Interesting. I’m not familiar with the 500L cartridge. What is it?

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

More like shooting shotgun then? The recoil is there, but it is slower, less abrupt?

After I got used to it shooting 100 trap loads in an afternoon was nothing.

And it got me in shape for shooting 10-15 duck and goose loads out at the slough.

Which hit harder, but colder weather, more padding and the thrill of seeing ducks and geese fall pretty much eliminates the recoil from your memory.

At least until you wake up with a green bruise on your shoulder the next morning.

Still to get enough shooting to earn that bruise, priceless.

todd 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 38
    • Overall: 54

goodsteel,

the 500 linebaugh is a cartridge that john linebaugh created in ’86 or ’87. if you take a 50-70 rifle and blackpowder and you adapt it today ‘s revolver cartridges, you have a 500 linebaugh. it can be built in a ruger blackhawk. the 500L only uses 30,000 or 35,000psi. it goes, i think, from 400 – 530gr boolit that is .510 – .512″.  i use a tc encore with a rifle barrel because i am handi-capable(stroke  left me with the use of my right arm/leg). there are guys that do use h110/win296 to get the 500L to its full potential, but most of us use hs-6 or other medium weight powder(unique is a lite weight powder and 2400 is a medium powder).  you can look at a 500L thru john linebaugh’s site.   https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/500caliber

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.500_Linebaugh

ghosthawk,

yep you got it. it has less recoil than a 20ga and but more than a 410. but you got when you said “The recoil is there, but it is slower, less abrupt”. now i don’t now about revolvers, but take a rifle(7.5 – 8lbs) out and then you will say “what a baby i was!!!”. lol

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I am familiar with the 500 Linebaugh. I’ve just never seen it abbreviated like that.

Sounds like fun!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.