This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Rattlesnake Charlie 2 years, 12 months ago.

• Author
     Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

I have discovered that when I shoot Herter’s brand shells in my Boito double barrel shotgun that I can scarcely get the empty casings to extract. Not so with cheap Federal loads. Both are rated at 3 – 1 1/8 of #8. The Herter’s have a brass head while the Federal look like plated steel. Both attract a magnet. My Fox Sterlingworth doesn’t seem to care. I found this out when fooling around tossing clay birds. Glad it didn’t happen during a CAS match. The “as-left” dimensions of the Herter’s shell is 0.814″ diameter ahead of the rim. 0.806 for the Federal shell. Same gun, same barrel. FWIW, check everything before competition or an important trip afield.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I have noticed Federal 20 gauge hulls tend to stick quite often, especially in single shot break opens. See it a lot.
    Personally, it’s all WW AA for me. Not a single hitch. No problem from any shotgun No matter the vintage of the hulls.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

The new AA’s sometimes catch the wad when it is being inserted. Remington STS and Federal Gold Medal are tops. Suprisingly, the Rio’s aren’t bad, but do not take too many loadings before splitting.

mountain4don 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 39
    • Overall: 50

Rattlesnake Charlie;n11578 wrote: I have discovered that when I shoot Herter’s brand shells in my Boito double barrel shotgun that I can scarcely get the empty casings to extract. Not so with cheap Federal loads. Both are rated at 3 – 1 1/8 of #8. The Herter’s have a brass head while the Federal look like plated steel. Both attract a magnet. My Fox Sterlingworth doesn’t seem to care. I found this out when fooling around tossing clay birds. Glad it didn’t happen during a CAS match. The “as-left” dimensions of the Herter’s shell is 0.814″ diameter ahead of the rim. 0.806 for the Federal shell. Same gun, same barrel. FWIW, check everything before competition or an important trip afield.

I have noticed since a lot of the shell companies have switched to the steel and or brass washed steel cases that the apparent thickness of the steel heads have been reduced in thickness also. And apparently these thinner shell heads are being produced in all sorts of sizes that when fired in certain guns won’t even fit in the resizer dies of my reloading presses. My grandson picked up a truckload of these Herter’s and Fiocchi casings from the trap range where he worked last summer. And a lot of them looked like they were thin and came out of large chambered guns that the high school trap team used. And they were in the same range of your larger shells at 0.814″ to 0.816″. I had to bring out an old reloading press with a worn out sizing die that would even begin the process of sizing them down. Then I could put them in my regular press to finish the resizing and loading. I find much more consistancy in the dimensions of the American made higher end shells like Remington STS and Winchester HH with the real brass heads. Also, a lot of the cheaper steel head casings developed cracks around the rim after the first reloading. Who makes the Herter’s shells? Also, my Winchester Model 101 has really tight chambers and I often have trouble both getting shells into it, and out of it after they have been fired. So, you might checked the same make fired shells in both of these guns and compare the expanded sizes and I will bet the Boito has a really tight chamber.

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 190
    • Overall: 193

I’ve had a different experience with the Herter’s brand shells.

For casual shooting at the air base where I shoot skeet or trap every Thursday, many of us are now using the Herter’s brand shells due to their availability at discount prices and their apparent quality. Most of us can’t reload our own for what we are buying them for and they seem to break the clay pigeons as well as any other shell out there. I use them in a couple of different Browning O&U shotguns in both 20 and 12 gauge without issue. I probably shoot between 250 and 300 of ’em a month.

I’ve not tried to reload them, so I can’t comment on how well they do there, but I suspect they would only last a few loads. Still, having thrown away a couple thousand Herter’s hulls this year, I wonder…

For reloading, I use the Remington STS and Winchester Double A hulls.

Some of the guys with back issues use a stick with a magnet on the end to pick them up of off the ground due to their Ferris or magnetic head.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I’ll try to measure the chamber of my shotgun. Also, I think I’ll try some of my Remington STS for comparison. Won’t happen for a couple of weeks. Getting to head to KS in a couple of hour.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.