This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Doc Highwall 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
     Doc Highwall 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 123
    • Overall: 131

I just started shooting iron sights again after not shooting competitive matches since 2002. That is the last time I shot a match every week both 100 yard prone and 3 and 4 position. I had gotten hurt at work and I ended up with neck/shoulder/back surgeries so shooting kind of took a back seat. The last several years I have been shooting cast bullets mostly off the bench.

Last year I started to shoot prone again but only used a scope, and only shot about 5 matches as I went to Alaska for 10 weeks. This year I have already shot 8 prone matches using a scope and my average kind of sucks at 397.50 out of a possible 400. I decided I wanted to start shooting iron sights again and shot them for the first time two weeks ago before the regular match started. I did not do too bad, but I did not do great either. I made changes to the way the rear sight attaches to the receiver of my Anschutz and I also lowered the front sight to get to be as close to the same height as my scope.

A couple of days ago I posted some pictures of my rifle and a target that I had shot using the newer Federal 711B that does not shoot as well as the old ammo that has the dimple in the base of the case. Today I shot some of the Norma Match ammo that I have been using in the 100 yard prone matches and it shoots a lot better. The first target I shot 20 shots and ended up shooting a 199-14X out of a possible 200.

I then took a 30 minute break and proceeded to shoot the remaining 30 shots into the 2nd target, and I ended up shooting a 297-16X out of a possible 300. I felt good shooting as well as I did. I then started to record all the settings and when I went to zero the elevation and windage knobs, I found that the rear sight was loose on the base.

I know that I was trying to keep a constant cheek pressure on the stock and some of the shots went high or low due to me, but I did not call some of the high shots as high as they went. So I guess sometimes it might not be the loose nut behind the butt plate.

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 190
    • Overall: 193

Nice shooting Doc. Are you also using an aperture front sight? I’m still using a blade/post front sight out of habit, but aging eyes will probably force a change soon.

Doc Highwall 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Yes I am using a Anschutz DUO aperture front sight.
    Here is a close up picture of it.

If you go to this post and scroll down to #10 the fourth picture from the left shows it attached to the gun.

https://30eca00a039f-002391.vbulleti…is-first-match

Doc Highwall 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Well I worked on the sight base tonight, had to mill it down so the sight would sit like it is suppose to. I might have to mill a little off the side so the sight has equal amounts of wind-age travel on both sides of the rear sight. Tomorrow I hope to make it to the range and re-sight it in again. I really like shooting iron sights, makes me pay attention to all the little details more so then shooting a scope.

Doc Highwall 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Well the rear sight base worked good but the rear sight is still too far to the left for my liking and gave me an excuse to put it back on the rifle that I borrowed it from, and that rifle now has the rear sight centered better. So change “A” was Incorporated, I installed a Centra left hand rear sight and with a 8mm riser installed under it, I shot some great groups yesterday with the Centra sight using the Norma Match ammo. Today I shot the Norma TAC-22 ammo and ran out of elevation by about 1″, so after I got back from the range, I added another 8mm riser block under the rear sight and I will shoot it tomorrow before the match starts.

The goal is to be able to shoot from 50 feet to 100 yards with any of the match ammo.

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Glad your project is coming along. Shooting .22 LRs at a hundred yard is quite fun with the wind sensitive little 40 grain standard velocity ammo.

My 40X .22LR has a two step front sight base that allows you to set the front sight high for 50′ and and 25 yards and then a low step for 100 yards. It really reduces the number of elevation adjustments on the Redfield International rear sight. This also allows you to keep virtually the same cheek weld on the stock between short and long ranges as the rear sight stays at virtually the same eye level.

Link for a couple of two step sight bases: http://www.champchoice.com/store/main.aspx?p=categoryBody&c=OPSB

At one time, you could get these with various measurements between the high and low settings.

My Model 52 has a really neat flip up rear aperture sight that looks much like a Buffington Trapdoor sight and it has all kinds of elevation adjustment 50′ through 200 yards or more. It lies flat in order to use a Unertal scope and then flips up for use when the scope is removed.

Doc Highwall 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I have found that if you have something close to 1/4″ clicks the the difference between 50 yards and 100 yards is 26 clicks.

With most micrometer sights using a 40 thread pitch, 26 clicks is very close. If you divide 1 by 40 on a calculator you get .025″ travel per one complete revolution, now divide that by 12, the number of clicks per one revolution of your elevation or wind-age knob, and you get .002083333. Now multiply that times the 26 clicks and you get .0541666″.

The two step front bases have this .054″ built into them. Unfortunately I have only seen these made for a barrel that has been drilled and tapped, and never seen a two step base such as this made for a 11 mm dovetail like I have on my Anschutz.

Making a two step base that will clamp onto a 11 mm dovetail is on my to do list……… someday.

Doc Highwall 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Thursday I went shooting with Gary again to help him set up his new to him Anschutz 54, and while he was practicing I was able to get in some more prone practice using iron sights. It was a great day with very little wind so I was able to get a no wind zero and set the sight for elevation as well. The ammo that I wanted to zero the sights for is the Norma Match 1066 fps that shoots real well in my gun. After getting a good zero shooting prone I took a 1/2 hour break and helped Gary some more, then got ready and shot this 30 shot group, First thing I noticed with this ammo and my gun is, the first shot is in the group with no fliers. Her is a picture of the 30 shot target, yes there is 30 shots, just not quite 30 holes.

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Nice. That would be close to one ragged hole at 25 yards.

Are you shooting with an International jacket and equipment or US NRA jacket and equipment? I always just used my NRA Hi-Power leather jacket and equipment and it worked well enough.

I never shot the Norma ammo that you’re using, but I once had an army buddy who was assigned to a college ROTC unit. The ROTC issued Ely Ten-X ammo for use in the sub-cal units for the M16 rifle for indoor training. I received a brick or two of White Box army issue match ammo monthly and he swapped it with me box for box for the 10-X. My buddies on the military team that I was on at the time were quite jealous of me, but my scores were usually about what they shot with the White Box in the four position matches.

Doc Highwall 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Scharfschuetze, I am using a ISU jacket, just a little leather and stiff canvas. The jacket I am using now I just got a couple of months ago and I am still breaking it in. The jacket is a Kurt Thune Prone 600, here is where I bought it.

http://www.10pt9.com/Clothing/Standard-Size-Shooting-Jackets/Kurt-Thune-Prone-600-Canvas-Jacket-Special-Order-p140.html

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.