Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

Pan lubing and the mentioned dip lubing are both good systems, a bit slow but produce along with push through sizing a very balanced finished product but gas checks are required in many designs. What does one do with them ?

Normally I try to stay with plain based designs but do have a few gas check designs so gas checks must be applied. I try to do this before lubing and sizing.
      The system I have evolved is not without it’s problems but to date it is the best I have found. If anyone else has a different or better way I sure would like to see it. Even though my system does work I just know there is something better or at least a bit faster out there.
      I think my main complaint is the slowness involved, there are no complaints on the accuracy of the finished product.

The main frame of the concept is a old Lyman shot shell loading hand type press I picked up at a gun show for a couple of bux. It was missing all the dies but that was no problem. I had no intention of ever loading shot shells with it but saw potential as a small hand press. It even has a 7/8″x14 threaded hole in it that I have yet to use but there again, we are talking potential.
      I added a aluminum base to increase the sturdiness and prevent tipping in use. A steel extension was made and added to the bottom plate to bring the bullets up to a proper working height and the top part of the ram is made from hard nylon with a small locating hole for the cast bullet in the lower end. There will in time be several of these nose pieces made up to adapt to different nose designs.

The dies consist of the larger base die that fits all the locating dies. So far I have had to make up a special die for each caliber involved and in one case using Hornaday gas checks, because of the thickness of the copper material a special die had to be made up to accommodate this thicker material. I can see that in time one will collect a small assortment of these locators but thankfully they are incredible simple and can be whipped out in a matter of minutes.
      Basically they are simply straight through but the bottom is very slightly enlarged for the length of the height of the gas check.
      In use, set a gas check on the lower anvil or adapter, drop on the die or holder, drop in a cast bullet and lower the handle of the press. Lift off the die and remove the seated gas check / bullet.
      The gas check has always been tightly and flatly seated eliminating the cupping one sometimes sees on the seated gas check. The slightly larger diameter of the seated gas check over the normal bullet diameter is reduced at sizing of the finished bullet after lubing.

I made up several of the Free Chex gas check makers and they work well and make a nice looking finished gas check. I might be guessing here but a lot of the complaints in the past about cupping when seating gas checks might be solved by the proper selection of gas check material in thickness. Too thick and you sometimes get cupping either in seating the gas checks or sometimes even in the sizing process itself. Balancing the gas check material thickness might eliminate this problem.

Like I said, this is only one way to approach this problem, what is yours ?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.