Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
      JRR
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 84
      • Overall: 107

Let’s see some scout rifle (or similar) set ups. Light, compact, fast sighting and reasonable accurate out to 200 yards.

Here is mine. Serbian 24/47 intermediate action mauser. Custom front sight base with long eye relief scope. Williams front peep. New welded on bolt handle (low profile). Timney trigger. Bead blasted and cerorkoted finish. Barrel cut to 20″. Original front sight remounted on shortened barrel. 8mm mauser cartridge.

Cast bullets.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I like the way the Scout type rifles carry, but am not a fan of the scout scopes.
      I have a Marlin Guide rifle set up with a Leupold Scout scope, and I am probably going to change it to a standard mount scope.
      A 2.5X scope is not worth much to me for testing and working up handloads.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

The Carcano clips have to load from the top other wise it’s a single shot if you want optics. The 2-7 fine wire helps with Accurate shooting.

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 110
      • Overall: 114

WCM;n9435 wrote: I like the way the Scout type rifles carry, but am not a fan of the scout scopes.
      I have a Marlin Guide rifle set up with a Leupold Scout scope, and I am probably going to change it to a standard mount scope.
      A 2.5X scope is not worth much to me for testing and working up handloads.

I agree. I built a scout rifle on a Remington 7 in 7mm-08 about 30 years ago when they first became publicized. I was, to say the least, not happy with it. Now days my “scout” rifle is a Remington 700 .308 Win with 20″ barrel and a Leupold 2-7×33.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I might like the 2X7 scout scope.I am not sure they made it when I bought the 2.5X
      The 2.5 is fine in the woods, but I guess I am just use to looking through a regular scope.
      My favorite scope for the lever guns like the .45/70 is the Leupold VX-3 1.5X5
      I have used those scopes with great success since ’85
      I have never had one break under recoil and I had them on a 350 Rem Mag as well.

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 110
      • Overall: 114

Just to be clear, I was referring to a vx2 scope mounted in the normal way to the action itself. I doubt you would ever break one under normal use from any recoil you could stand

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

I like scout rifles and have several. I find most complaints center around improperly mounted scopes or the use of a scope not meeting the “Scout” crieria. Here is my M1 Carbine Scout.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

No idea where that Ruger photo came from and can’t delete it from my smart phone. Here’s my M94 Carbine Scout. Will post pics of my other Scouts in a few days: M91 Argie, FR8, Swede M38, AR and Spanish Destroyer.

Larry Gibson

Guess the pics will all have to wait a few days…….can’t figure out how to post the pics from this cell phone….:mad:

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

AR with Trijicon

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Mini-14 Scout w/ Burris 2×7

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

M-N M38 w/ 4x EER NcStar before bobbing and threading for Can

sundog
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 30

What I like best about scout scopes is target acquisition time – immediate. Both eyes open, looking at the target, bring the gun up, and the target immediately appears in the scope. Had one on an old 98 Mauser, and it was awesome.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Browning 1886 limited eddition 1 of 3000 in 45-70.
      Green mountain barrel X 16″ long
      Weaver 4x scope and vintage Redfield hidden screw rings and bases.
      Action job, trigger job (3lb), bedding, custom forearm tensioning three shot tube.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

An interesting stock Goodsteel. Almost looks a bit fishbelly. Might be an optical illusion due to the background.

Overall impression: Is it for sale?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The stock is highly figured Grade AAA Walnut.
      It’s not for sale as I got it from BjornB, and by virtue of that, it has great sentimental value. The barrel was 27″, but I cut it to 16 and mounted the scope in the interest of science, as Bjorn and I are exploring the 45-70 with modern loads in various barrel lengths and configurations. Kinda like Dr. Emit Brown.
      Marty: “Doc, are you telling me you built a time machine…….out of a DeLorean?”
      Doc: “The way I see it, if you’re going to build at time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?”

Har!!!

Life’s too short for ordinary rifles.

Robroy
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 8
      • Overall: 10

I am looking at building a scout rifle. My biggesr concern is the scope. Is there a difference between hand gun scopes and scout scopes? The eye relief on the hand gun scopes I’ve checked out seems a few inches longer than required for putting the objective lens over the front ring of a receiver. Maybe the eye relief is adjustable?

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

Yes there can be a difference between a scout scope and a handgun scope. A scout scope will have an intermediate length eye relief allowing the ocular lens to be over the front receiver ring and not extending back over the action opening. Some handgun scopes have a shorter eye relief, some have a longer eye relief and a few have the correct eye relief as a scout scope. Best bet is to get a correct scout scope; a Leupold 2X, a Burris 2.5X or the Burris 2x7X scout. Burris did make a 1.5X scout scope some years back which I have on my M94 Carbine. I’ve also got a 3X Burris handgun scope which has the proper eye relief on a M91 Argie.

Back in posts 11, 12 and 14 you see pics.

Larry Gibson

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I called Weaver customer service and asked about the difference between a scout & pistol scope. He said the difference was eye relief and a pistol scope could could be used in a scout rifle mount. I have not personally tried this out as yet.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

Depends on the scope model and actual eye relief. The 2X scope on my M1 Carbine is a Burris pistol scope of current manufacture. I have other pistol scopes the eye relief puts them way too far in front of the receiver. You don’t want that.

Larry Gibson

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 37

My opinion… In a real world situation I think the scout rifle concept is very good. I think the scout scope is not.

In the real world using a scout rifle for scouting and/or patrol operations, why would I put a fragile scope on a rifle that I’m going to pack through the bush over hill and dale? The scope also adds bulk and weight. Being forward mounted shifts the CG of the rifle forward. A forward mounted scope isn’t faster at acquiring a target as a good ghost ring or peep sight, especially follow up shots. It’s not a sniper rifle (I know no one claims it is). Finally, I think the forward mounted scout scope looks ugly. I think it’s more fad because of Jeff Cooper.

Not trying to step on toes but I don’t see the point of taking a nice light rifle and burdening it with a scope that will probably get disposed of after the first real encounter with a belligerent… if you survive.

Light, fast, simple…. It always works.

Cheers.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

I don’t think anyone’s advocating putting a weak scope on a gun intended for self-defense. Nor does it have to be a heavy one. There are quality, tough, lightweight scopes out there to fit the bill. I believe the forward-mounted scope is meant to be a compromise between the situational awareness of iron sights and the accuracy of a scope. Really, the entire scout rifle concept is a compromise of what would be the best all-around rifle, not the best rifle.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

tbx-4;n13170 wrote: My opinion… In a real world situation I think the scout rifle concept is very good. I think the scout scope is not.

In the real world using a scout rifle for scouting and/or patrol operations, why would I put a fragile scope on a rifle that I’m going to pack through the bush over hill and dale? The scope also adds bulk and weight. Being forward mounted shifts the CG of the rifle forward. A forward mounted scope isn’t faster at acquiring a target as a good ghost ring or peep sight, especially follow up shots. It’s not a sniper rifle (I know no one claims it is). Finally, I think the forward mounted scout scope looks ugly. I think it’s more fad because of Jeff Cooper.

Not trying to step on toes but I don’t see the point of taking a nice light rifle and burdening it with a scope that will probably get disposed of after the first real encounter with a belligerent… if you survive.

Light, fast, simple…. It always works.

Cheers.

I agree the forward mounted scope doesn’t ‘look’ as good as a conventional scope setup. The whole ‘scout’ rifle thing doesn’t ‘look’ as good as a sporting mauser nor Win M70.
      The scout rifle concept is more about a rifle used as a ‘tool’ rather than classic lines of a pre-64 M70. I have a Browning A-bolt and it is a fine rifle, but, it is not a good ‘tool’ for deer hunting in my area. Im hunting in deep woods, in a tree stand, and a 35yard shot is typical. When I see a deer, I typically see it for maybe 3 steps and it is out of sight in the bushes.
      The scope allows me about 20 minutes more daylight in the dark dim light of dusk & dawn compared to naked eye.
      ANY sight works good in broad daylight, but a good scope yields a bit more sight picture in the dawn’s first light.
      By the time the sun is up in the morning, my hunt is already half hour past prime time,

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

One thing to remember is that part of Col Cooper’s scout rifle concept was to allow the use of stripper clips for reloading.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Leupold Scout scope eye relief: 9.3″ to approx 16″
      Leupold pistol scope eye relief: 9″ to approx 16″

Nobody actually checks this out, or lists specs on it, but every scope has a range of eye relief. As long as your eye lands somewhere in that range, you’re golden. On a typical rifle scope with 3″ of eye relief, the range at low power is approx 3″ give or take, and at high power, it’s approx 1/2″, meaning that getting your eye placement is much more difficult. On my Weaver T36, you have about a 1/4″ window, so that puppy had better be mounted in a comfortable place.
      In contrast, scout scopes and pistol scopes have eye relief that starts longer and goes further. Understand that the manufacturer only lists the MINIMUM eye relief that is available to you. They DO NOT tell you what the MAXIMUM range is, but it’s a simple optical fact that if you have long minimum eye relief, you also have an extraordinarily long maximum eye relief.

When it comes to a scout scope, you need about 11″ of eye relief for a properly mounted scout scope, and there are a plethora of handgun scopes that fit the bill, and a few that wont. I can’t see a difference. You have certain needs that must be met by a scout scope, and if they are met, and the scope is mounted correctly, I don’t think the nomenclature etched on the outside makes any difference.
      I think this boils down to style and grace of a system, which I agree should be in place. However, there are exceptions. Like the lever action I posted earlier. Not many would have use for a silver forward mounted scope on a rifle, but that one pulls it off like a champ. Also, if you’re on a budget, you use what you can afford to use, and if it works the right way then let the rough edge drag and have fun.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

And the eye relief seems to change some as you adjust power (provided you have adjustable scope)
      The higher the power, the more critical seems the eye relief seems to be.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

conversly, the lower the power the more forgiving the eye relief.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

kens;n13228 wrote: And the eye relief seems to change some as you adjust power (provided you have adjustable scope)
      The higher the power, the more critical seems the eye relief seems to be.

The range of eye relief changes, but the minimum eye relief remains constant. For instance, if a 3-9 scope is advertised as having 3″ of eye relief, that means that 3.5″ from the eye will feel very comfortable all through the power adjustment. However, if you mount the scope on low power as far forward as you can, you might have 5″ of eye relief and it looks fine, but turning the power up to 9 will leave you stretching forward trying to get into the scope without shadow.

This was exactly the case last year with a gentleman who came in with a 25-06 with a Leupold target scope on it. He told me to cut 2″ off the stock so he could get into the scope correctly. Turning the scope to it’s lowest setting allowed him to see through the scope without shadow.
      I could easily see that the stock was already too short for him (just a little) and I pointed out that if we move the scope back where it’s comfortable for him at its highest setting, it puts him in a place where his eye is comfortable throughout the range. He then explained that he didn’t like that because the scope might bite his eyebrow. I then explained that holding the rifle correctly, with the scope mounted properly to him will prevent this from ever happening.
      Once I got everything set correctly, he was happy as a clam.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The times I’ve seen someone bitten by their scope was usually when they were crawling up the stock in an attempt to get the best image for a perfect shot. Yes, it was often when they dialed up their scope to a higher power. And yes, it was always when shooting off a rest. Never once offhand.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Rattlesnake Charlie;n13244 wrote: The times I’ve seen someone bitten by their scope was usually when they were crawling up the stock in an attempt to get the best image for a perfect shot. Yes, it was often when they dialed up their scope to a higher power. And yes, it was always when shooting off a rest. Never once offhand.

And, it was something like a Winchester featherweight, in 300 win mag. The biggest magnum in the lightest rifle, it don’t make sense.!!!

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

Measured the eye relief on all my scouts including the AR with Eotech. All measured 10 – 10.5″.

Larry Gibson

Izzyjoe
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 12
      • Overall: 13

I was looking at getting a Ruger gunsite scout rifle, but the ones I looked at were heavy. I guess cause of the laminated stock. Larry were did you find that mount for the m94 Winchester?

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

Its a Burris. They quit making them. When I got mine they were selling the base, the rings and the 1.5X scout scope as a package. I should have got several……:rolleyes:

Larry Gibson

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

you said they quit making them………quit making the mount ,or, the scope??
      I have a Burris 1.75x scout scope, could it be the same scope?

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

My Burris is a 1.5X as per on the side of it. The base was discontinued some time back………:(

Burris currently only catalogues a 2.75X and the 2-7X scout scopes.

I have a 2-7 Burris scout scope on my FR8 scout rifle. It is an excellent scout scope btw.

Larry Gibson

Izzyjoe
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 12
      • Overall: 13

That’s a nice setup, do you have to d&t the barrel?

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

You’re supposed to have to just D&T the barrel band but I also D&T’d into the barrel……it’s very solid.

Larry Gibson

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.