Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Does anyone check alignment of scope rings, and lap them if necessary?

On a bug I bought the Wheeler kit for such. Now, I’m wondering if necessary. I know, I didn’t do this in the proper and logical order. No one ever accused me of being logical.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

Rattlesnake Charlie;n13652 wrote: Does anyone check alignment of scope rings, and lap them if necessary?

On a bug I bought the Wheeler kit for such. Now, I’m wondering if necessary. I know, I didn’t do this in the proper and logical order. No one ever accused me of being logical.

Yes, I mount all my own scopes, and am very careful how they are set up.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

I’ve only ever used a wooden dowel with sandpaper. Normally just a few swipes will reveal that things are kosher and nothing needs to be done. Most parts are machined pretty true these days.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

I have the Wheeler kit too. I’m not really sure that its necessary, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I’ve only had one the needed serious attention . Lapping wasn’t going to fix it though , to be fair a twist lock screw stop type mount would have been a better solution for the out of square drill and tap than making the rings and mounts line up with the barrel .

I have a 12″ steel 1″ rod to check square and polish as needed and a 36″ piece to check barrel alignment . The bad one above with 3 sets of rings and 3 sets of 2 piece mounts turned in at least 18 combos showed up with the long bare 3/4″ off center from the mounts to the muzzle at 24″ .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I always align, and occasionally, I lap. Especially if the rifle is going to be used for anything more than casual shooting. The holding power and ability to stay put goes up exponentially as the fit of the parts gets better. Also, lapping the rings makes it easier on your scope.
      I don’t use the Wheeler system because I have my own, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use that system under any circumstances. Wheeler is good stuff.

Kevin S
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 58
      • Overall: 72

if a 1″ of tube is placed in the rings as the rings are being tightened to the base. Would that make front and rear rings more uniform?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Kevin S;n13783 wrote: if a 1″ of tube is placed in the rings as the rings are being tightened to the base. Would that make front and rear rings more uniform?

I use a 1″ piece of steel bar stock to set the rings in place. Once they are tied down, the tops are removed and the rings are lapped. Then the scope is installed. Doesn’t get better than that.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

I use the Wheeler kit. Some rings are worse than others. Leupolds have been very good, Rugers seem to be pretty bad in my experience.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I wind up shimming the rear base more times than not ,to get extra elevation adjustments.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.