This topic contains 17 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Scharfschuetze 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
     Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 506
    • Overall: 558
    • Gold

I see Scharfschuetze has a new NOE 325-216-SP mould! I was pondering that he should cast some so I can test them against the 323471. I can test psi and measure the actual BC of both. The 323471 has one of the highest cast bull BC’s and is about the best long range bullet for milsurps. It’s long bearing surface to nose ratio also provides for excellent accuracy potential. The NOE bullet appears similar but with a more pointy nose which may give it the edge in LR performance if accuracy is equal.

What do you all think?

Larry Gibson

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

Well YEAH

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 190
    • Overall: 193

Larry, that’s as good a jog for action that I’ve seen lately! As discussed yesterday, I’ve got to smelt and alloy some lead to reduce antimony content in my old salvaged range lead from the indoor range. Once done, that mould will be one of the first in line for casting. Don’t know if I’ll get it all done by the time we shoot doves in Arizona, but if I do, I’ll bring a few Mausers with me.

Just finished up with our annual Youth Day shoot at Fort Lewis’ skeet and trap range. We had 120 some kids out for the shoot and BBQ. Most had never shot before and we saw some pretty big smiles.

Here’s that NOE 325-216-SP mould that Larry is referencing. I think that it should be the cat’s meow for Mausers.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

woohhooo
    love five cavities easy to feed a good shooting rifle with them once you settle on a design.
    Scharfschuetze I’m jealous in a good way.

Wish you and Larry a successful outing and testing ( even though a bad day at the range beats a good day at the office)

Hopefully I can drum up some support here.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

High BC plays a game of compromise with cast IMHO.
    At first glance, I’d guess this bullet to have too pointy a nose?
    The bearing surface is there, but it seems like a lot of lead hanging way out there.

That said, I’m no expert on bullet design. Just dipped my big toe a little.
    I’m very curious to see how this turns out. Do post results!!!!
    I have an 8×57 looking for a decent mold and if this shoots as good as it looks, I’d buy one myself.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

POSTING Results make ya feel like…………………

Life is short might as well have fun with it and smile occasionally.
    on the serious side I do look forward to the results as well

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

Goodsteel;n8829 wrote: I have an 8×57 looking for a decent mold and if this shoots as good as it looks, I’d buy one myself.

Amen to that!

The NOE 325-216-SP bullet should feed into the chamber better than that old Lee “8mmKarabiner” bullet!

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. I’ve been shooting in Nevada with a nephew and now I’m in Arizona. Larry and I are going to the range tomorrow to launch some lead and zero a match rifle. The wind has been strong today, so keep your fingers crossed that it is calm early tomorrow.

JPHolla 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 121

Goodsteel;n8829 wrote: High BC plays a game of compromise with cast IMHO.
    At first glance, I’d guess this bullet to have too pointy a nose?
    The bearing surface is there, but it seems like a lot of lead hanging way out there.

That said, I’m no expert on bullet design. Just dipped my big toe a little.
    I’m very curious to see how this turns out. Do post results!!!!
    I have an 8×57 looking for a decent mold and if this shoots as good as it looks, I’d buy one myself.

That’s kinda what I was thinking. Kinda like the Schmitzer vs. the Postell. While the Schmitzer looks more aerodynamic, the Postell actually wins out at range. But maybe it wouldn’t without the weight difference. It would definitely be interesting to see.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Scharfschuetze, Have you casted any up and how did the session go?
    I’m figuring your letting them stabilize before testing them.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I just had a good conversation with JRR a couple days ago, and he said that this bullet is one of the finest and most accurate that he has used in his 8mmMauser mill surp.

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Sgt. Mike;n9906 wrote: Scharfschuetze, Have you casted any up and how did the session go?
    I’m figuring your letting them stabilize before testing them.

Ha, ha! No, I’m knee deep into pheasant season here. I often guide for youth hunters as well as old army buddies so my dog and I won’t get any rest or time for a couple of months. Pheasants, quail, waterfowl and grouse. No rest for the weary!

I just had a good conversation with JRR a couple days ago, and he said that this bullet is one of the finest and most accurate that he has used in his 8mmMauser mill surp.

Glad to hear that.

My dog waiting for doves earlier this month.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Scharfschuetze,

You could be testing the 325-216-SP on pheasants, “killing two birds with one stone,” so to speak…….

Just a thought…..LOL

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

uber7mm;n9972 wrote: Scharfschuetze,

You could be testing the 325-216-SP on pheasants, “killing two birds with one stone,” so to speak…….

Just a thought…..LOL

Ha, ha! The game & fish might take exception to that.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

LMAO I’m sure they would take exception to that.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Scharfschuetze;n9973 wrote:

Ha, ha! The game & fish might take exception to that.

I don’t think the dead bird minds what gun you used…….

LOL

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

So, were there any findings or opinions formed regarding the NOE 325-216-SP?

Also, how was the pheasant prepared and how did it taste?

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Well, between shooting skeet two times a week this spring over at the air base and working on cast bullet 30/30 loads in two different bolt action 30/30s, I’ve totally failed in my goal with the new mould. I’ve got to rethink my priorities! 🙂

Also, how was the pheasant prepared and how did it taste?

We put up to 30 pheasants a year in the freezer, so I have developed some very good recipes for them. I often use waterless cookware and steam them in a liquor and then compliment the flavor of the liquor with fruit and nuts. Apple Schnapps gets slices of Granny Smith apples with walnuts and so on. I also sometimes will dice them up, bread them and then fry them in olive oil. Often I’ll put shaved coconut meat in the breading and then serve them with either a mango chutney sauce or an oriental sweet and sour sauce. Lots of way to fix them as the meat is very amenable to seasoning with mild herbs or as described above.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.