Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 222
      • Overall: 265

Looks like Dell’s tech support information got hacked.  Just got a call from “someone claiming to be from Dell, they had our computer service tag#, cell phone, home phone, name address and everything…  Called Dell and they said that they are working on “it”

Anyway, I picked up an air horn for just such occasions.  Step outside and wait until they are right in the middle of telling me why they need my billing info and let them have a huge blast right in the phone.  They very seldom call back.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Brilliant!

I hate scammers, especially because there are millions of gullible people out there who take them at face value and lose quite a bit as a result.

Good for you Glenn!!!

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

As a rule, tech support in the computer industry are so busy, they’d never make unsolicited out going calls.  All rules of civility and politeness are out the door when I get a unsolicited phone calls, especially at dinnertime.

I’m going to find that air horn I confiscated from my teenager.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Yeah, I even got another robo call from some number that wanted me to call to preclude foreclosure by the IRS. I don’t own a house to foreclose on.

I have been getting more obnoxious ransomware attacks that say that Foxfire required I enter my ID info and password. These attacks include blocking out the site I was “trying” to enjoy, and include rude beeping and such bullshit (their ain’t no other word for it) to prevent their shutting me down. My response? I hold down the power key and do a hard shutdown. Upon startup, things usually go OK. I have noticed that these attacks almost always come when I am trying to open a site on Yahoo. Anyone seeing any similar connection or pattern?

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Charlie,

Those attacks are common.  My wife gets them on a particular video site she attempts to enjoy. (British Drama & TV re-runs) .  The hard shut down stops them.  You might also try clearing your cache and history: hotd the ctrl+shift keys down and then press the delete key.

I hope this helps,

Uber7

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.