Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 157
      • Overall: 169

I’ve got 400+ rounds of .38 Special +P that were reloaded for me 30 years ago. I want the brass and the lead. I don’t feel like pulling the lead, one at a time, with my kinetic puller. I’m thinking……………if I fill a 50 gallon drum with water and shoot the rounds into the water, the lead won’t be destroyed and I’ll be getting rid of the powder and primers and saving the lead and brass. Is there an easier way? I’ve got a bullet trap on my range, but it vaporizes much of the lead. I’d hate to lose that much lead when I already have it in hand to add to my stash. Any thoughts?

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

If I am not concerned about using bullets you can in some cases run the case up into your press with no die in it. grab the bullet with pliers, or diagonal cutters, run the press down. Bullet normally pops out, lets you dump powder, use or not use primer as you please. Faster than an impact hammer by a factor of 5 or more.

Otherwise, yes, I think I’d shoot them where I could reclaim the lead.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Good idea, thanks.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

Yep, pull the bullets as suggested.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Will do, guys, thanks. Never thought of that.

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

Wrong time of year for it, but I like to shoot into a pile of snow to recover bullets when possible.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Ha-ha. I live in Oklahoma……………seldom snow deep enough for that.;)

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Well, I bought a #6 shell holder today and dropped it into a Rock Chucker Harter sold me (which just arrived) and started pulling some lead. Works great and I thank you guys for the suggestion. Do wish I had some needle nosed Vise Grips, though. Kind of hard with regular ones to get down into the hole to grab the lead……….but it works 99% of the time.

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

Might look at an extended shell holder .. would solve that problem

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Hmmmmm…………..didn’t know they made such. Live and learn.

Kevin S
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 58
      • Overall: 72

Another helping hand,
      Get a piece of pipe (any kind PVC, steel, copper) with an inside dia. just larger than the ram on your press, and about 1/2″ longer than the full length cartridge you want to take apart. Get an electricians wire stripper ( the tool that has the different size holes to cut and strip the coating off of wires.
      Put the pipe over the ram in your press. It never gets moved. Raise the ram just high enough to put the shell case into the shell holder. Open the jaws of the stripper and grab the bullet above the case top to be pulled in any of the teeth of the stripper, and hold with a lot of force on the stripper. Lower the ram so the stripper makes contact with the pipe. Give the handle on the press a sharp fast blow to pull the bullet.
      On some very tight necks. it could take 4 or 5 repatitions to break the bullet free. But it will come.
      With rifle bullets I just use the top of the press like the top of the pipe.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Good tip………….thanks.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.