This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jniedbalski 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
     Milkman 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 24
    • Overall: 28

I picked up a, what I think, is pretty nice Savage 99 in 300 Sav. last year.  I think it is a 1950’s model, but it is not d&t so it has been a closet queen so far.  I couldn’t decide whether to have Tim drill it, get a barrel mounted aperture sight, a Lyman tang sight, a Marbles tang sight, or just go blind and forget it.  I knew for sure that my ancient old eyes could not even start to resolve the irons on the rifle now.

I have loved the lines of that rifle since the first one I saw as a kid, and I finally decided I wanted a Marbles tang sight to preserve those lines, so at least that much is resolved.  Lee dies and a partial box of ammo came with the rifle and I have the mold for the 30XCB so I had a head start on shooting it.  I have a few extra 308 cases so I decided to form them rather than buying new.  Everything went well till I tried to chamber one.  It stuck before the bolt fully closed.  It could be forced closed but not satisfactory.  After some reading on another site, I planed a few thousandths off the shell holder, took all the play out of the press linkages and everything works now.

It will probably be after the holidays before I head to the range but my hopes are high!

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

I recently put a XSsights ghost ring on a mauser, I like it.

Maybe they got one for the 99

Milkman 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 24
    • Overall: 28

Kens, I really like the look of the old large dish tang sights.  Also it will give me a little more sight radius so I am pretty well set on my choice.  I also like the look of the Skinner sights but that would involve playing with the dovetail where with the tang sight there are only 2 screws.  I can do screws.  lefty loosy righty tighty

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

It is so good to see a post by you sir!

Your expectations should indeed be high. The Savage 99 is one of the finest lever actions ever made.

You should swing by sometime and let me fondle…….that is, render a professional opinion of the rifle. LOL!

There was a fabulous Lyman tang sight made for these that I still see on them occasionally, which has a little lever to lock the sight in the upright position. Very good quality. You might be able to find one of them on ebay or some such place.

Congratulations on a fabulous rifle!

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 203
    • Overall: 226

The savage 99 to me was always a beautiful gun. You hardly ever see them around here. Almost never

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.