Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 4
      • Overall: 5

I need some advice on barrel that has lost accuracy.

I have owned this rifle since 2005, love the rifle, worked up a load using 53gr SMK and 25.5 gr Varget and one with 69 SMK that both shot 1/4″ + groups @ 100 pretty easy.

I have around 3500 rounds shot thru it and the last 100 or so rounds I’ve noticed accuracy has went to around 1″ moa, give or take.

I called Savage and all they said was send it to them and they will let me know what the found, I wanted an approx cost if they had to replace the barrel and was told they would have to inspect first.

What has been your experience, what was the cost to re-barrel or could this be cut and saved… I’m assuming the lead is “burnt” out ???

Is this pretty common for 3500 rds thru it ?

Perhaps a different barrel mfg. or replace with stock Savage? ?

Help me with your suggestions on this.

Thanks for your help/suggestions/comments

Dave

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 77
      • Overall: 87

I didn’t see a caliber mentioned in your post, but based off of bullet weight and charge, I will assume a .223. If so, 3500 is as pretty good round count running them fast. You got good use out of that barrel and if Savage will rebarrel for a decent price, then I’d opt for the new barrel over a setback if it is within your finances.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

With those loads at 3500 rounds it should hold “match” accuracy for another 3500 rounds. If you want to hold BR accuracy then it’s way past time for a set back and rechamber. I’d pull the barrel and send it to goodsteel. He can bore scope it and advise best course of action.

Larry Gibson

rhbrink
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 23

I would J-B bore clean the heck out it and shoot again.

RB

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

You were lucky to get a factory barrel that shot that well. It may happen again if you replace it but do not count on it.

DaveInGA
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 44
      • Overall: 50

I totally agree with what Larry Gibson is saying. Send it to Goodsteel and let him do a set back and rechamber.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Good morning all

Appreciate the comments

Any approximate cost for a setback, etc ?

How about a new barrel and labor from Savage or an aftermarket one and labor from Goodsteel ?

As for doing it myself, where and how much for the tools needed ?

What barrel would you go with ?

Thanks all for the help 🙂

Dave

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

rhbrink;n4414 wrote: I would J-B bore clean the heck out it and shoot again.

RB

I agree with this. Use an abrasive-type bore cleaner and concentrate mostly on the area right in front of the throat. Also, have you adjusted your loads? If the throat has lengthened, simply adjusting the loads could get it back in tune. Otherwise, reset or re-barrel.

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

I also agree with Larry on letting Goodsteel take a look and then choose a coarse of action.

Ken

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Thanks for more replies, sorry… yes .223

I guess being lucky is a good thing…. kinda new to me but I’m grateful 🙂

A friend has one of these rifles, it was the first I ever shot and his was just as accurate…. this guy “forced” me to buy one of my own !

I have adjusted the oal for this very reason, really did not see any improvement

I also used JB polish a few times !

Any answers to the cost questions would be helpful

Dave

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Good to talk to you this evening sir.
      To reiterate and add to our discussion:

1. Change your scope to something else of known quality. Shoot and see what you get.

If that doesn’t change anything in a positive way, and you see no obvious crown damage:

2. Get the copper out of it. a good session with Sweets 7.62 will do. I usually hesitate to recommend this course of action as it often does more harm than good, but since you mention that you have maintained control of your copper fowling till recently, I do recommend that you try taking a more aggressive approach. Shoot and see what you get.

If that doesn’t change anything in a positive way:

3. Shoot a full course of Tubbs bore lapping bullets through your rifle. Follow the instructions exactly. Shoot and see what you get.

If that doesn’t change anything in a positive way:

4. Send the rifle to me, and let me set it back or correct what issues I find.

I will shoot the rifle and see if the change is positive enough for you. (usually my chambers are a step up in the accuracy dept. as a matter of course, due to the fact that they are both very tight, very smooth, and VERY concentric to the bore).

If you are still not happy with the accuracy I demonstrate:

5. Order a Krieger barrel and have me fit it to the rifle. This is almost guaranteed match grade accuracy the likes of which you will not find in a factory rifle. A build like this is capable of winning competitions at the highest level if you were so inclined to pursue it.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Thanks Tim for the chat we had, very kind of you

As we discussed, I used some Sweets and was surprised how much more copper came out !

My plan was to shoot it at my neighbors yesterday but the guy’s were into shooting their pistols first and because I had an engagement planned I had to leave early and never got to shoot it, hopefully in the next few days I’ll see what happens.

A friend has a bore scope, he is going to be in my neck of the woods Wed. so he is to come buy and will look “inside” !

I’m thinking now to purchase a barrel and the tools and attempt to change it out my self !, figure it would be a good thing to learn !

I’ll update as what we find sometime next week

Thanks again to all

Dave

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.