Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Of course it has a couple of bugs but new builds will do that.
      It’s in 358 Win with a throat/leade ideal to the 35 XCB so there’s also significant space in the magazine well and that inside the trigger bow floor plate release does under recoil to often. These are small things I can fix without too much heart burn .
      I formed the brass from some rejects of 06′ length ,20 that matched . Formed and trimed to match an existing case now I have 3 of the 20 that are way long like .1 by eye . HPX brass hasn’t done that before . This brass was HPX 30-06′ then mashed to 280 AI and annealed. It had possibly 5 shots but more like 3 . I Know but the goal was matching brass to get started with and this was handy and not for a current chambering . They formed nice and fire formed well , but the stretch , holy cow.
      I didn’t start with a lite load in fact I just stepped to the plate and letter’ rip . The groups show promise ,the barrel is promised to be good, I’m confident in the headspace and chamber . I guess I’ve never made brass that much shorter before so it may be not abnormal.

Another point of interest is that none of my books have a 220-230 gr bullet listed nor do enough of them list what I have on hand so for those running a 358 where do you find the numbers ? Only the Hogdon book shows H322 and none for the slower powders. Even the Lyman CBH doesn’t show up the weights . So do you do better with mid to slow (as listed) or mid to fast powders.

I have 2 dozen loads with H322 and 2 bullets down and it’s safe to say that I’m at the “this isn’t fun anymore threshold ” . I have a good amount of 4350 and W857 . I may try those just to take it down a notch and keep a full case .

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

You’ll find that IMR 3031 is your friend in the 358 Win. It can handle being loaded down, and you can go with a full case without pressure problems. The RCBS/NOE 200 FN works fabulously in the cartridge, and the 35 XCB should also shoot well (never tried it in a 358 Win, only in the 35 XCB). I have plenty of both and I’ll be happy to send you a few handfuls to try out.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Thanks I have 100 or so of the XCB to mess with and 50 or so of the other one I expect to to get the Lee 6C 358-200 and the NOE XCB once the May hog hunt is in the books . I think I will be able to get it close enough for for hunting with 322 . The great 10 powder durth is letting up some but it’s not good yet I’ll see if I can track down some 3031. .

What about the case stretch?

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

If the stretch happened after just forming the cases and firing them once (fire forming) I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ll be willing to bet that if you now trim them back to specs, they won’t stretch much on the next firing. As an aside, I always made my .358 cases from .308 brass; that gave me cases that were slightly short and that wouldn’t need trimming for several firings. Remember, when forming a new shoulder and neck there’s an awful lot of brass that’s being bent into shape. It will always stretch some before settling down.

I hope to see some target pictures; I love those 35-cal cartridges!

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That won’t happen for some time the T post scope isn’t really conducive to little bit groups and I have a lot of ground to cover before I get really excited about 8 touching.as a goal I’ll take a 3″ ctc for 5 at this point .
      It turns out the long case wasn’tnearly as long but that most of the rest are short .
      I have a pile of as cast 124 , 125 and 158s to shoot for getting a handle on bugs and a slew of 7 to 10 each mismatched brass from 243 to 06′ that came in a box of stuff I bought for something else in the box.

In the mean time I have a 257 Roberts to get going because it’s to easy to take rifles we already have worked out to chase hogs .
      I guess 1 of the 162 gr 358-158 RNFP would probably layout a hog as good at 2000 fps out of a 358 as it does at 1400 from a 357 carbine. …. nah we can’t take the easy way out..

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Bjornb is correct on the cases.
      My opinion of HXP brass is pretty low. I’ve found from forming it to 35XCB, 30XCB, and 358WCF that it’s all over the place in it’s physical size. The brass itself is fairly good quality, but the QC is very low. The extractor cuts are all over the place, the wall thickness varies considerably lot to lot, and the primer pockets do too. If you can get a batch actually formed and trimmed and annealed, it will give you quite a few firings, but in my case, accuracy was better with any other brand I have used except S&B.
      I think the best place for HXP brass is in it’s original 30-06 condition.
      Over all, my favorite brass to make things from is Federal. Good stuff there. You have to anneal it, but they hold pretty good QC across the board, from lot to lot, and they are accurate. YMMV.

BTW, use the RCBS 35-200-FN, form your cases from LC MATCH, use a case full of IMR3031, and a federal primer. Use an alloy that’s about 14BHN. Use a Hornady GC seated with a push through .360 die, and FWFL lube.
      If that barrel does not deliver ten shot groups under 2″ at 100 yards, you have a harmonic problem and need to check your bedding. That said, I expect you will see 1-1.5″ groups all day long.
      I had a great time with that barrel, and enjoyed it very much. Took a deer with it too!

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I do have some others orphan lots to work with . Not much federal to work with , but I do have a fair quantity of 80s WW . I may have to break down and buy some brass ..

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.