This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  kens 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

I often go trolling offshore by myself. I can pull 4 lines comfortably. 5 lines on a good day.
    One day in particular, I was pulling 5 lines, some of the lures I had rigged up my self, and one lure was a brand new bait shop exclusive type lure. It sure was shiny & purdy.
    I had got several strikes but no hook ups. Enough strikes were out there to keep my interest up all day, but darn it, no hook ups.
    that brand new lure sure was getting hit a lot, but no hook ups. I pulled it in several times to make sure it wasn’t tangled nor twisted up. It was running fine and getting hits.
    I assumed there a just too many small spanish mackerel (or small somethings) out there to get the 5/0 hook in its mouth.
    Late in the day after getting sun burned, tired & hungry, I called it quits with a empty cooler and empty gas.
    As I pulled in my lines to stow it all, I then realized that my brand-new $25 exclusive lure was chewed all to smithereens, (with the plastic safety tip) still on the tip of the hook!!!!!!!!!

timspawn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 137
    • Overall: 166

Ouch! I bought a bunch of vertical jigs and almost made the same mistake.

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 124

There ought to be a law against them using the clear tubing LOL
    Tony

Anonymous
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 73
    • Overall: 86

Have you heard of ” Catch and Release “

1johnlb 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 13
    • Overall: 15

Been a long time since I’ve been offshore trolling, when I was a boy with my dad. Prolly the most productive day we had trolling for spanish was one October morning we found them chasing up shade and started trolling through them filling up all 5 rods each pass. Within 5 mins I think every boat in the Ocean that day was on top of us and I had to work the rods while dad navigated. I just reeled up to the leader and snatched them in the boat reeling up all 5 before setting them back out and before I could get the third one back out the first had Spanish back on. I’d picked fish up so I could walk cause they had stopped thrashing and put them in the cooler. By then all 5 rods had fish on again and the process started over. I done that for just a little under an hour had a little under 60 spanish, 54 or 56 I think. We trolled the rest of the day and never caught another, but we did change over to trolling for kings. When we got back to the dock the boat and my legs had blood allover them that I thought was the fishes but ended up most of it was mine for them razors they have. I loved every minute of it,especially the eating.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

Sometimes I fished off of Stuart, FL. In the fall, schools of Spanish Macks would come in, you could troll little mylar jigs, or simply find where they were busting the surface and cast into them, and get a hookup on every cast. A ball of fun. There is a lure called a Mackeral tree, it is 2 or 3 of those little jigs on 1 rig.
    You could cast that and get two at a time.
    Some folks turn their nose up at mackeral, but I will eat all that I can catch.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.