This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rattlesnake Charlie 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Last Saturday afternoon I at the range for a little practice with my .44 mag revolver I will use for deer hunting this year. The bullet is from a MP 432-640, plain based, solid, with Carnuba Red, 270 gr with my alloy. 19.0 gr of 2400 along with a Federal large pistol primer. I did a little tweaking on the rear sight to get it where I wanted, about two inches high at 25 yards. I then decided to try a cylinder full at the 200 yd gong at the range, which is about the size of a dinner plate. From the bench, I fired a couple that were actually close. There were some comments from a couple of benches down about how silly it was to shoot at that range with a revolver. On the 4th shot I rang the gong. I packed up and left.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Funny. LOL!

Good shooting!

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 859

I shot a paper patched 260-120 in a 264 WM over unique first 3 shots dinged a 22″ plate at 400 paces , I called it a day too .

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 529
    • Overall: 584

I think pistols especially (and other guns) are under-rated at times.

we all have read the stories about Elmer Keith and his adventures with pistols.

I happen to have the Marlin camp carbine in .45acp. It is fun no doubt.

I found myself clanging steel at 50 yds with it. .45acp.

Then I got brave and tried 100yd gong. I dialed it in and started banging it.

the part that surprised me was the (lack of) hold over. I was totally surprised how little hold over was needed.

Granted it was one of those man-sized silouette steel gongs, but I clanged it nonetheless, and with my regular sights, not some uber long range affair. Keep in mind this is 45acp, NOT some sort of Elmer Keith uber brass stretcher.

After the fun of that wore off, I just had to try it with the same 45acp ammo except in the 1911 concept.

Yep, sure enough, I banged it. Not a lot, but I hit it. I hit it 2 times with a full mag of 1911.

and, all the rest of them would damn sure keep the head down on a bad guy out there………

Now that I KNOW THIS…………would you think the common bad guy knows this as well ???

I guess my point is that with all the talk of flat shooting calibers, uber cartridges, and so on, at the end of the day there just isnt a whole lot of drop out to 100 yards. I mean gosh, I’m talking about 45acp here……..and muzzleloaders.

Now, if you were to enter the Elmer Keith uber brass stretcher calibers, then by golly yeah, 200yards becomes a piece of cake.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 503
    • Overall: 553
    • Gold

One time up at Tacoma Rifle and Pistol Club in Washington I was shooting my new 50th Anniversary Ruger BH flat top 44 Magnum with the RCBS 44-250-K loaded over 22 gr 2400.  I had just got it (was my present to myself after my tour in Iraq) and had it zeroed 2″ high at 25 yards.  A guy there had a 6″ 100 yard bull up at 100 yards and said all that Elmer Keith crap was just that….crap.  Off hand I aimed just above 6 o’clock on the bullet and fired.  The bullet pin wheeled the “X” in the center of the bull.

The guy’s jaw was still dropped as I packed up and left leaving him with…….maybe Elmer knew what he was talking about.   I learned a long time ago when to hold’em and when to fold’em………

Larry Gibson

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

“I learned a long time ago when to hold’em and when to fold’em………”

Good line, Larry!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us