Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

I have been looking at the Ruger Predator in 223 for a fun pinking gun with cast. Any reports, good or bad, would be valuable in my decision making. Scope? Maybe Redfield?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

If you buy that rifle and it does close to MOA, then drop another Benjamin and get a Boyde’s laminated stock (I believe the Axis stocks fit). Bed it with 10-110, and you should cut your groups noticeably. That would be a coyote buster from hell.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Looked up Boyle’s site and they list a laminate for the predator and the Ruger American classic. Look good! $144 plus shipping. After getting the predator I will check it out thoroughly and if happy with it I’ll order up a stock. Pictures make it hard to see the colors but the Nutmeg finish seems to stike me as the best choice. Opinions? Thanks, Jay

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Personally, the nutmeg just wishes so bad it was walnut, but it falls short. If you’re going to be “not walnut” then don’t apologize for it, and don’t compromise.
      In my opinion, the pepper laminate is the go-to color, and you just can’t beat it with a wet squirrel. If I want something sharp looking, I have a weakness for the Sky Laminate.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Tim,
      Thanks for the comeback. After looking more and dreaming I think I might step up to the Ruger Hawkeye Standard with walnut stock. The rail on the American Predator is a bit ugly in my opinion. And the Hawkeye comes with the standard Ruger mount and rings. Factoring in the cost of stock and rings, the price goes up enough that I may as well upgrade. Opinions?

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Also thinking of topping it off with a Leupold FX-II 6x33mm

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

I like your Idea with the FX II 6x36mm good scope for all around field usage
      https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/fixed-power-riflescopes/fx-ii-6x36mm/
      the 64 MOA adjustments is a definite plus.
      Eye relief is a little shorter than most Leupolds

One of the other fixed powers from Leupold I was considering is the FX3 25x40mm ( https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/competition-riflescopes/fx-3-silhouette-25x40mm-adj-obj-silhouette/ )
      Not as much MOA adjustments as your selection, but my purpose is for a straight bench gun and not Varmit or any hunting the 25 power would be a hindrance in the field.

I stuck this one on my Grendel so Far has been pretty good so far, I’ll play with it more before I really make a decision if it is really something to brag about. I’m sure it will be a solid scope.

the 3-9 power range should be a decent choice for the field 10 power is a bit much for shorter ranges (less than 200yds)

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Decided to go with the walnut Hawkeye Standard and the Leupold 6x. Now I wait…….

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

I bought a Mossberg MVP patrol in 223, and now it is my new 22. Using the Lee Bator and 2.3 grains of Unique it clocks at 990 fps and through a suppressor is as quiet as a low power air rifle. Nice.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I built a custom Mossberg MVP for bjornb chambered in 6X45 with a Krieger matchgrade barrel. Pretty sexy little package if I do say so myself!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

Goodsteel;n500 wrote: I built a custom Mossberg MVP for bjornb chambered in 6X45 with a Krieger matchgrade barrel. Pretty sexy little package if I do say so myself!

No kidding. It’s a beauty, and a tack driver to boot. The 1:8 twist makes it better for jacketed than cast, and as the winter progresses I’ll post some shooting here.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Nice LeBlond. OH, and nice rifle also!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yeah. Perfect balance.
      Old “Neck Bone” (the LeBlond) is my pride and joy.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

My .22 replacements for fun/plinking are .38 Spl’s. Cases are straight wall for easy loading and with 2.7 gr of almost any fast powder they last a long time . The only upside I see for the .223 is that it uses less lead but I find the larger bullets are easier to cast. Most of my shooting is on my own range so I hope to reclaim most of the lead.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 20

I think about any deer rifle can be used to shoot cast with a little work. I’ve been messing around with 4 grs. of bullseye and a 270 Winchester. I haven’t got the best load yet but it is fun.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

GaryN;n1614 wrote: I think about any deer rifle can be used to shoot cast with a little work. I’ve been messing around with 4 grs. of bullseye and a 270 Winchester. I haven’t got the best load yet but it is fun.

Ranch Dog 165pb, 45-45-10, 30-06, 14gn WC820, end of a 100 round string.

Newt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 40
      • Overall: 43

My .223 has become my new 22LR for sure. Except it has way more capability than my 22LR. Once I got it dialed in I was “hunting” squirrels from my shooting bench. Taken quite a few at the 150-160 yard range. Something I would have never attempted with standard 22LR. And the total cost of a loaded round is right at 10 cents.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I’ve a 222 in a Savage 340 . It comes closer to $6 / 100

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.