Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Saturday morning, I had a client come over to pick up a rifle I had fitted a muzzle break to for him. In tow, he had a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM. He bragged about its amazing pin point clover leafing precision, and asked if I would like to shoot it. Of course I accepted. I tucked in behind the RPR and sent 5 careful shots into my 100 yard target. I was perplexed by the 1.75″ group produced. I told him to “have a look” in the spotting scope. He did and I asked him if that was what he was used to seeing. He said absolutely, its amazing………..

Oooooooh Kaaaaaaayyyyy.

That was using ammunition loaded with Hornady Match bullets. After shooting he was good enough to let me clean his barrel and look down it with my bore scope. What I saw and felt was inconclusive. There were tooling marks in the rifling like I would expect to see out of any factory barrel, and the throat was concentrically cut.
      I will say this, there’s a whole lot of fairly good quality parts on that rifle, and I did enjoy everything about it except the bolt lift which felt a little junky (but that could be fixed) and the lackluster precision.

Anybody else have any real range reports on this rifle? (Please. No three shot leprechauns).
      In all honesty, I did see a guy at the public rifle range shooting one in 308 that seemed to be stacking them close to MOA, but I didn’t get a chance to ask him what he was doing. I just took note of the 5 shot groups on his bench.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I am a boating kind of guy, and I see similarities of boats and shooting.
      there is a great many boat guys that contend to have, say, 30mph boat offshore in blue water.
      I have had the 30mph guys running next to me, then later comment how I was hauling azz; I must have been doin’ 40 !!
      no, in fact I was running 20knots (23mph), which equates to 3000rpm on the tachometer, and 20knots per digital GPS.

Kinda like the sub moa guys at the range. A lot of guys can talk 1moa, and a lot of guys talk fast boats.
      Just as few guys can really get 1moa, just as there are few guys that can make 20knots in blue water, even less can make 30.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

I’ve had a bit of experience with one shooting out to 1000 yards. Belongs to a friend here in town. He was having problems getting the scope mounted correctly so the 200 yard zero was at the bottom end of the scopes elevation adjustment. Has a Vortex 6×24 PST (?) on it….nice scope and the rifle for all intents being a factory rifle appeared ok. When we went to the range I also was a bit disappointed with the 140 gr Hornaday Match factory ammo. However, the Hornaday 129 ELD factory ammo was indeed shooting right at 1/2 moa. We zeroed him at 200 yards and I set the elevation stop on the Vortex. A few days later we went out to a place in the desert to shoot 1000 yards as he’d never shot past 300 yards before. I’d ran a ballistics drop chart for his load so it didn’t take but a few shots and he was on the steel plate (15×24″) we had at 1000 yards. It was a hit with every shot. I’d found a golf ball out there (go figure!) and had set it on a rock at 995 yards. While we didn’t hit it before he ran out of the 129 gr ELDs we hit with in inches of it…one shot the rock splatter knocked it off the rock.

I was over in Prescott and ran into a Ruger engineer at a local gunshop (J & G) and asked him why they put a 20″ barrel .308W with a 10″ twist on the Precision Rifle. He said because that’s what sells…..I told him not to me it didn’t. Told him they should have an option of a 26″ 13″ twist barrel and he agreed. Said if Bill Ruger was still around that probably would have been the standard .308W barrel on it……..oh well…….

Precision rifle is on the right;

My M70 is aimed at 1000 steel plate. Elarge pic a bit and an arrow points at it.

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well, Larry I may buy one just to get the chassis. I was quite impressed with the balance and weight of the rifle, and the focus of the rifle. There was nothing that bothered me except the muzzle break which I would remove. If it shoots like you describe with the factory barrel I observed, then it sure as hell won’t do worse with a Broughton.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Wellll if you liked the chassis of the Ruger give this a look over Tim

https://xlrindustries.com/collections/chassis

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Sgt. Mike;n14227 wrote: Wellll if you liked the chassis of the Ruger give this a look over Tim

https://xlrindustries.com/collections/chassis

I’ve seen those. Lot’s of people ask me my opinion of them, and my answer is always the same: “Its a great way to hold a premium barrel” and I believe that. However, I think if somebody wanted a chassis on the cheap, the RPR is head and shoulders above the XLR. The hinged butt stock is great, and for just a little more money you get a triple lugged action with the stock, and a barrel that can be burned by a newb learning to read wind etc.

tomme boy
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 41
      • Overall: 42

There are a bunch of prefit barrels out for this rifle. But I know you would want to make your own. Especially what they cost.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

OK, I give up. I need help.
      What is the RPR and XLR?
      Are those a bolt action upper, for a AR lower?
      or for a AR-10?

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

kens;n14271 wrote: OK, I give up. I need help.
      What is the RPR and XLR?
      Are those a bolt action upper, for a AR lower?
      or for a AR-10?

RPR is short for Ruger Precision Rifle

XLR is a chassis stock that is makes a bolt action have ergonomics of the AR 10 /15 Platform ( https://xlrindustries.com/)

Cadex is another Chassis stock (https://www.cadexdefence.com/products/chassis/)

Accurate is another (http://accurate-mag.com/chassis/)

KRG Kinetic Research Group (https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/whiskey-3-chassis/)

McreesPrecision (http://shop.mcreesprecision.net/)
      that is really the tip of the iceburg on the offerings

rockrat
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 23
      • Overall: 26

Know a couple of guys at the range that have 243’s. One of them, he can pretty well call shots on our 500 meter gong, the other fellow is lucky to hit the 300 yard gong after 3 shots. First three are pretty good, but the next rounds will wander up to about 8″ from previous. He send it back to Ruger and told them to shoot 21 shots on one target, so they shot 7 groups of 3!! He is so disgusted with the gun and I think he called Ruger and reamed them a new one. No one has a 6.5cr and everyone dislikes the 20″ barrel on the 308.

I think I will keep my AR30

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

If I bought one, I would be buying it for the chassis. I’d hope for a good barrel, and have a Krieger waiting in the wings.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I though about one, but have decided that I can take my Savage Model 12 BVSS,and put a Krieger barrel on it and have a better shooting rifle with less money tied up.
      I would want it in .308 or 260 rem..

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

A wise man talking.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.