Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

The rifle is a Hartford 92 in 45 colt. Did you know they used a 3/4″ major diameter, but cit the threads with a pitch of 1.0mm????

Janky schmucks.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’ve ordered new barrels for both rifles, so I can correct the errors ever so present on these rifles. Shoddyest excuses for barrels I’ve ever seen on a lever gun. Almost as bad as Henry. LOL!

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I have a couple I’ll bring by after we get settled . Then you’ll have a new base line for bad .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well right now, Green Mountain has 1-16 twist 24″ long barrel blanks in there gunsmith edition raw blanks section for $57.95 which is what I bought. If I were you, I’d take a good hard, and regular look at that spot if you think you might need me to swap one out for you one day……

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The temptation is strong .

They are magnum action Rosschesters . The 20″ pre-safety isn’t bad except for.the famous chamber , the 2013 would make grown men cringe ….. At least they have all the rifling .

If we do the short one I have better sights although not in any way period . It of course would demand the carbine magazine stay but that the barrel hang on out from 16.000001″ to a nice 20″ .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I can cut the barrel any length Harter.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I kind of thought so . 🙂 I bet I could even have a non-standard taper or an octagonal fitted with a target crown . 🙂

Nope . We’ll just stick to fixing what’s not right . 🙂

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I could mill you a pic-rail into the top, render an integral front sight ramp, half octagon with a wedding band?

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I could trade you steel pic rail blank

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Ok first there was giddiness as the vision of this milled rail on a 92’went through my mind’s eye . With a nice flip up ranged sight set ……….45 Colts brush gun …….. More like a BPS rib and bead with the world famous MBT 96′ bolt mount peep .

I’m the work horse guy .
      Cool is barely a factor ….. Who doesn’t love an octagonal barrel on a lever gun . Nope . Still have 2 fall in mud kids to get through .

The 16 twist would fix all of the peeves .

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I have a Hawkin style rifle with a Siler lock that is already a nice rifle I might even have some marketable skills .
      I recently acquired 3 sets of Williams peep sights one set is the target knob sight and I believe they are specific to the Mauser right side mount but 1 of them , it’s so cute it’s in a box that calls it The 5 Dollar Sight , is a flat side mount .

Really a milled in ramp ………shivers …..maybe just like the bolt peep/ghost and 6″ of rail ….. You know for when I get old and blind and have to have a scope to see the point of impact . 🙂

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

You exaggerated …….. if you buy 2 they’re $55.27 shipped .
      Look I saved $4 !!!! (Where’s the emoji guy rolling on the floor in hysterical laughter ?)

So give me an image of the 1913 rail as part of the octagonal . I’m envisioning a rail section that butts right to the receiver with the actual rails all but matching the receiver conture or as a worst case the flat between the rails at the receiver top .
      On the band would that be a turned in place or a sweat/shrink part ……..as I wrote that down I can see a whole blevy of problems being generated that may mean zip or could be enough to get me sternly corrected . A simple I’ll turn it as part of the barrel will do , or not .

I see this 66′ Chevy Suburban press car morphing into 327 4V , T400 +2 speed , Correnthian leather Escalade 8 door .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well the new barrels arrived yesterday, and they do not disappoint. Green Mountain really makes a decent pipe. Lots of work will be done to make them play right, but having the right barrel in the first place is a pretty big deal.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

How heavy of a bullet will the 1:16 twist stabilize?

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Heavier than you want to shoot in any ACP,Colts or 454 . I’ve shot up to a long 350 in an 17″ 1-16 . I will be replacing a 1-32 that falls on its face if the load goes supersonic . Lots of testing a few witnesses .

A guy did some work with an adjustable Money style mould and got up to like 800 gr in 458 1-16 . More than I want to shoot .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Like Harter says: Anything you want to shoot through it. But there is no reason to go slow with it IMHO (maybe Larry has a different opinion) because there is no way I’m going to come anywhere close to the RPMTH, and outside of that, I generally think that more twist is better (within reason). All the revolvers have fast twist barrels in spite of the fact that the speed is slightly reduced. If you wonder who I would rather trust to know what the hell they are doing with twist selection, I’d take Colt and S&W over Rossi and Marlin any old day of the week!!!

Now that said, if I were to pick the twist rate for this project and just throw money at a barrel maker, I’d have Brux cut it 1 in 22-28 twist. That would seem perfect to me for 150 yards and closer with any normal sized (350 grains or less) bullet I might desire to shoot. But since that would be nearly $400, and Green Mountain was selling these for $55,

1-16 it is!!!!!

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The decision making process on this actually started when the 45 ACP High Point out shot the Colts Rossi with the same bullets at more or less the same MV . The twist difference is the only way to account for the Rossi to throw 8′ high and left with a 1200 fps 454424 and the ACP at whatever it’s doing (875 in a 5″ revolver) to hit a 12×18 plate 4/10 at 167 yd .
      Had to do something to get all I could get which was to start fast enough to stay supersonic to 100 or start subsonic with a freight train . In the 32″ twist my .1″ longer 350 makes oval holes while the 458-340 Lee makes round hole. The Mountain Moulds calculation shows 1-29.5″ for my bullet …….. Sure enough .

As to a “special” twist I think that 24-26″ would handle everything that could be chambered in a Colts and probably even a 45 Raptor or 460 S&W (rimmed and rimless sisters) . That is what the 350 is for ……..yeah um , a 7# rifle always sounds like a good idea but not so much with a 1700 fps 350 that’s not yet in the 30-32 kpsi powder curve yet ……. Stops being fun . Neat handy little rifle . Cool test bed too . Possibly a waste of time but a ready filler between breaking stuff Colts and the 45-70 .
      Derailment .

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Goodsteel has already done the math on a 1.25″ blank to a 1″ octagonal barrel with a 1913/Weaver rail cut in as part of the barrel conture ………. The base , check my math just in case I missed major , only needs to extend .1 above the octagonal 1″ flat to make the 45° shoulder and the .487 width between rail points , +0 -.005 . That tenth could be removed , leaving just the diamonds or more precisely rhombuses of the clamp rail outside of the receiver line .
      Lesson learned 5″ is a minimum rail length for a reasonable scope mount .

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

1:16 seems good in this case. It will keep the RPMs up for stability even as velocity is not high. It makes sense with what Tim says about the twist rates in revolver barrels. From my experience with .45 cal bullets in the 350 gr range in my 1895 Marlin Cowboy, even while in the trapdoor loadings, things can get to where it is not fun to shoot. Cimarron Arms uses 1;16 for .44 Colt & .45 Colt. FYI, the do use 1:20 for .45-70 and .44 spl, even .44-40.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.