Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I feel the need for a DA revolver, because I am tired of chasing brass from auto pistols, and my SA .45 is too slow to reload. I want something that I can catch all my brass and keep on pinging steel gongs with gusto. I think DA revolver is the answer.
      What can you guys tell me about Rossi & Taurus quality? Are they any good?
      Im banging steel here, not looking for a race gun, nor high end target. Just want something reliable in a revolver such as mauser is reliable in a rifle.
      As an analogy, Remington & Winchester rifles have better resale than military mausers, but the mauser will get my job done just as well on less money.
      Do the Rossi & Taurus revolvers possess similar mauser attributes?

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

You can not run fast enough to give me a Taurus. They come pre-broke from the factory, and go downhill from there. Reliable? Brahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

From what I have been seeing neither is worth what it would cost to find out.

Rossi still has some dedicated lever action fans.

My advice, buy the most gun you can afford. It will hold its value better.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

The Rossi DA revolvers are good enough to get the job done, but they are far from quality. I see them as an expensive throwaway to keep in the truck, or in an ankle holster (with two fired chambers if ya know what I mean).
      You would be far better off to buy a S&W. Yeah, they’re expensive. Yeah, they’re worth it.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Many yr ago I had a 66 in 357. This was before my cast enlightenment . It would shoot all the 38s but cross the threshold from +P to 357 and big groups opened up . In reflection I suspect mismatched throats or a 9mm bbl .
      It ran fine . It didn’t like Blue Dot at all , I didn’t know you could stick a start load that tight .
      In about 2000 I picked up a Security 6 Stainless steel 6″ for the same price as retail ads for a 4″ blue . If memory serves me it was only $75 more than the 66 Taurus had been .

I picked up a mangled 1917 (I can’t even call what was done Bubba’d in good conscience) for $300 . Apparently the 3″ chop and cut in target sight are a popular conversion. That is about as good as not chasing brass gets .

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 73
      • Overall: 86

Have you looked at the Ruger GP100 38/357
      I just bought one waiting for it to show up:)

Wright Arms
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 130
      • Overall: 138

As it appears you are asking for opinions, then in my opinion, I would NOT choose either of the brands you have asked about. I have owned a couple of Taurus pistols in the past, and once I became educated enough to evaluate what I had, I sold them all.

At this time, I have Rugers and S&Ws, and am quite happy with both.

And this opinion is worth exactly what it cost you. Good luck in your search, whatever you choose.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

Yaaa, I been surfing the web about the Ruger 6 shot .357 (GP100?)
      That seems to be the next price step from the Taurus/Rossi.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I have a Taurus Raging Bull 6.5″ in 454 and like it. It did come from the factory broke 😉 Factory ammo fired in it would stick the cases in the chambers. They would move about 1/8″ freely and then get stuck. The chambers had a bit of a belley in them. I sent it back and they sent it back with a new cylinder in about 2 weeks. They also did an action job on it for free. It has a really smooth double action and very crisp trigger in single action.
      Mine likes 320-250gn LFN style bullets at 1350fps. At 50 yds it will stack 3 in a clover leaf and the other 2 open up the group to about 1.5″. It does have a scope on it.
      I bought mine about 12-15years ago and all the internet talk was that they would blow up with 454 ammo and may not even hold up to ruger level 45 Colt loads… I had some 458-405’s sized down to .452″ and thought they might be fun to play with in the 454. The bullets tumbled so I thought I’d turn up the velocity some and see if I could get them to stabilize. I got them to 1550fps with a compressed load of 296 and started sticking brass, but they never would stabilize. I didn’t have Quickload at the time, but looking at it now, the loads must have been around 80k ish. I do try to keep things abit more moderate these days.

A friend bought one of the small 5 shot 357 Taurus revolvers with the 2 1/4″ bbl. It really wasn’t too bad to shoot with 125gn 357s. You could hit soda cans with it at about 15yds, but the fixed sights and short barrel kind of limited it to be a short range item.

So with my sample set of 2, I say they are not too bad for the money.

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 92

back in about 1988 I bought a Taurus 357 with 6 inch barrel brand new, my wife did not care for the 44 mags so after a security six that got stolen and a Dan Wesson I ended up with this gun. I took it apart and polished every thing that moved or rubbed and boy is this thing slick or what! I had some law men shoot it and they could not believe how smooth it is. And from a rest with hot 357 158 gr it makes nice tight groubs at 75 yards. This is not an expensive gun but it looks and handles nice and might fall apart the next time I shoot it but till then I am happy. Walked in a gun shop and saw a Taurus identical to mine but a 22 and it followed me home. That needed some work but now it is rock steady reliable. Saw another one one identical in 44 special and the funds just were not there and I still lament that one that got away. Local pawn had a brandnew refurbished (reblued was the story) Rossi snub, no hammer spur in 357 and for 275 dollars I have it. This thing is very accurate with 38’s and is very controllable in rapid fire. Might fall apart tomorrow but what the heck its working for me and my fixed incomes! I would love to have better guns but the better guns would not shoot better than these for me so why should I feel cheap and I don’t!

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

I own both Rossi and Taurus Revolvers, all 3 were purchased of Gun Broker years ago. 2 – 4″ 38s and a 6″ 357 mag

Rossi 841, 38 Spec, fixed sights, 4″ barrel, full barrel lug, imported by CAI. This revolver was most likely imported from a South American countries police department, Only God knows how many rounds it has fired. I run everything from LEE 105s to NOE 160 gr FNs threw it. It runs flawlesly. Less than 150 when purchase including shipping. I have popped several K of primers with it, fun hammer to have with me. It even has a lanyard loop on bottom of grip that could be removed but hasn’t been in the way yet.

Taurus 726 (Old Taurus emblem, Bulls horns are straight out not turned down)) 4″, 38 Spec, adjustable sights, runs flawlessly, Fun to set on back porch with along with some friends and a big coffee can of loaded rounds. If rainy day, then covered front porch and let the fun happen.

Taurus, Mod 66 I think thats the model, 357 Mag, 6″ barrel, NICE adjustable sights , Tight, very accurate, with any cast from 105 LEEs to 180 NOEs. Never a problem with it, Bought used 15 years ago, Been a good reliable 6 gun.

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

My son stopped by yesterday and I verified his Taurus is a 6.5″ tracker in 357 mag. we ran over 100 primers threw it yesterday and had a great time. this is another trouble free Taurus.

Ken

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Well sure, if you’re only popping primers………
      LOL!

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 124

This is my Mod 60 +P I picked up at a Pawnshop refurb this is my alternate carry gun
      My Daily is a Taurus PT 740 slim I bought it because of the mag capacity (6 Rounds) I am legal to carry in all 50 States but must comply with mag capacity restrictions for each state and this was one of the reasons I went with the Taurus. I have had it for about 3 years and ran 500 – 1K through it factory and reloads have not had any issues But I do have a soft spot for S&W Revolvers
      Tony

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

I carry a 5-shot Taurus Tracker in 44 Mag when hunting, fishing and hiking in Alaska. With the 4 inch barrel it’s very light, and I’ve plinked well over 1,000 rounds through it so far without any issues. The gun stays up there at the cabin; saves me the hassle of checking it as baggage every time I travel.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.