This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  GhostHawk 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
     Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

Trying to cut your Carbs – swearing off rice?
    This is the answer

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

What the heck – let us try it in words instead of video

Mushroom Risotto with Cauliflower Rice

Ingredients
    1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
    1 T coconut oil or other healthy oil
    1 large yellow onion, diced
    2 large garlic cloves, minced
    ¾ lb mushrooms, thinly sliced (I run my thru the egg slicer)
    ½ cup beef stock (Vegan? use Veggie stock)
    Fresh parsley, chopped fine for garnish
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions
    Cut the cauliflower into small florets, then wash and dry them with paper towels.

Process the cauliflower florets in small batches in a food processor or blender until you get a rice-like texture.

Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the onions until they are tender and caramelized (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and stir until it is fragrant. Add the mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are brown on both sides.

Add the cauliflower rice and beef stock and bring heat down to low. Allow the cauliflower rice to absorb the beef stock until it is tender but not mushy (about 10 minutes).

Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley before dividing it into bowls and serving.

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

OK if you can stand calliflower – or brussel sprouts or any such  thing.  Smell when Mom did it keeps me away from that stuff forever.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I love brussel sprouts and asparagus, but I can only do cauliflower so much and I prefer it fresh and crunchy when I do have it. These diets that call for cauliflower to replace every carb are not my cup of tea. That said, it can make a very nice meal in moderation and is a very versatile veggie.

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

We got one of those new Instant pots for christmas. One of the recipes I kept running into was a potato and cauliflower soup. So I tried it.

One whole head of califlower broken up into small florets, 2 potatoes peeled and diced, some chicken stock, an onion diced and saute’d and 3 slices of bacon cut up and fried lightly crispy. Their recipe called for all chicken stock and heavy cream. I did not have the cream but plenty of milk so I used that. Pressure cooked about 10 minutes, let it cool.  Before I put the stick blender to it I added some shredded smoked gouda and mild cheddar cheese.

It was to die for. Crunchy flavorful bits of onion, the cheeses set it off perfectly, it was thick, rich, awesome.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.