Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

It could be a wild goose chase, but my curiosity has been aroused. I am a member in a hunting lease (or at least a very enjoyable repeat visitor) and I get along real well with the fellow that owns the lease. He has mentioned to me on several occasions that he used to shoot the 220 Remington Core-lokt ammunition in his 30-06 rifle. He describes magnificent bullet performance and he would use nothing else. (this would not be my personal choice (kinda like using a sledge hammer for a fly swatter) but hey, whatever.)

He said that recently (he guessed in the last 10-15 years or so) it seems that remington changed their bullet construction and made them tougher. He went from dropping everything he shot in it’s tracks (or very close to it) to tracking every deer that was shot due to a bullet that would not expand properly. He has now sworn off using Remington ammunition, and has tried many different brands and styles but has never found a cartridge that scratches that itch like the old 220 Core-lokt.

I first heard him mention this a couple years ago, and I didn’t think much of it, but he brought it up agian, and now I’m curious.

What’s needed here is a good old fashioned test!!!!

I see Remington still offers 220 grain Core-loct ammunition (which according to this gentleman is inferior) so all I have to do is scrounge up an OLD box of the same thing. I looked on gunbroker, and struck out.

First of all: Does anyone have any additional information pertaining to this situation?

Second: does anyone know where I might obtain the old ammunition for my test?

Thanks!

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

All I have is some Hornady bullets in 220.

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 222
      • Overall: 265

I checked my old stash and only found some 180 PSP Corelokts and some 220 Silvertips.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

This was not the .30 caliber core-lokt but the 185 grain 8mm version.I remember reading when first started loading for 8×57 that this bullet was designed specifically for the 8mm magnum but would work ok in 8×57 for hunting at closer ranges.After killing a few hogs with them I believe this to be true.I never recovered a bullet because they always exited but the exit hole was a snug fit for a finger to go in.I’d suggest the 220 grain 30’s are designed for the .300 magnum crowd and a bit too tough for proper expansion in 30-06.The old ones were maybe too soft for the magnums or more likely intended for 30-06 velocities.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That’s my theory too chutsnreloads. This fellow has described bullet expansion from a 30-06 Remington 742 gas operated rifle, that I’m sure would have gotten Remington a bad rap from the magnum crowd. If what he says is true, then they would be far too violent to make clean kills on moose, elk and bear. It could very well be that they toughened up the bullet design 10-15 years ago to satisfy the big game hunters, but in so doing, threw the deer hunters under the bus.

I suppose the question that I need to be asking is if a 220 grain 30 caliber bullet exists that will mushroom out to magnificent breadth when impacting deer at about 2000 FPS…

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

Why would you need a 220gr .30-06 for a lowly whitetail? why that much horsepower for such a thin skinned animal?

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Need is not the issue

A friend had confidence in the load,

the load seems to have changed

Confidence has been lost !

What next?  Thank you Tim for being his friend and

trying to figure out  “What next”

Me?  I would use a 30-06 with Speer Hot Core Spitzer in 150 grain

and about 58+ grains of 4350. One sweet deer getting load.

Mike

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That is my thoughts, just drop back to a 30-06, 150gr bullet.

Another good deer load is to take .30-30 bullets and load them to 30-30+P velocity in a .308 case, or, 30-06 case.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I have an 06′ barrel that was probably special ordered for the super heavies and I think was fed a steady diet of 220s maybe 250s although those would have been all but gone shortly after the rifle was built .

Confidence in a load/bullet to do what it’s always done is 90% of shooting well and successful hunting .

There’s a chance someone has a bunch horded away somewhere .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’m a big fan of 165 grain bullets (SGK or SST) for whitetail. I’m just trying to help a friend be comfortable in the woods with what he likes. Thanks for the help gents. I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

It is good for us to help the guy be comfortable with his equipment. But the truth is, his favorite ‘soft’ bullets are not here anymore, just spilled milk, they are over.

The awful truth is that he is hunting Bambi with a Moose load.

A great many people (that I have talked to) want those big heavy horsepower loads for deer; but they dont really see that a full broadside to a deer is about 1 foot or so of penetration, and if you hit lungs, that is mostly air. My own favorite deer bullet is a big fat round soft nose, like 30-30 style or 35Rem. I want them to already be expanded when it is only halfway through the boiler room, that means the other half of boiler room is getting the full mushroom. the mushroom coming out the opposite side is what gives you your blood trail, (if needed at all)

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Tim,

I just can’t help thinking how close your friend is to coming over to the dark side of reloading by casting for his 30’06. All he needs is a chamber cast of his rifle, mold and handles, pot, lube, lubersizer tool, sizing die(s), gas checks, case expander die, a source of lead and a little nudge from you.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I doubt that uber7mm. This feller is a deer hunter. He called ammunition “bullets”. I think it’s a bridge too far in this case. LOL!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.