Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Four Remington 700s. All blueprinted. All lapped. All ready to go.

If I was a bettin man, I’d put money behind every one of these. Each one is a custom build in progress, and they’re all going to shoot like gangbusters.

MTtimberline
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 37
      • Overall: 40

Very nice work. What do you charge for the Remington action work?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

$175 for the action. Includes truing the face of the receiver, and recutting the threads concentric to the CL.
      $150 for the bolt. Includes dressing the bolt face, nose, and front’s of the lugs.
      $50 for lapping the bolt to the lugs
      $75 for my 3/8″ thick precision recoil lug.
      $75 for threading the bolt knob
      Custom bolt knobs on a case by case basis.

I’ll be posting groups from each of these rifles in the coming months as they are completed. The one I’m most interested in is that SS LA. That one is for a man who is almost totally handicapped. He has just enough strength to lift the bolt if I make a long extension.
      Here’s the unstoppable man of steel himself. I was describing what I could do for him and the leverage advantage I could give him with a longer bolt handle. I grabbed my Remington, and did some quick rigging to give him an idea of what is possible. Turns out I was right, and he could manipulate it perfectly. He pulls the trigger on the rifle by biting a fob he puts in his mouth. Pretty awesome if you ask me!

Another of those is going to be a 30XCB for a member here. Here I am inletting the stock by smoking the barreled action to find the high spots;

JRR
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 84
      • Overall: 107

Hi Tim,
      What calibers and barrels will the other three use? Interested in what others desire in their customs.
      Jeff

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 110
      • Overall: 114

There are only two rifles in the world, the Model 1898 Mauser (unmodified by “good” ideas) and the Remington 700. I’m very interested in seeing how these turn out.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

You forgot the Winchester M70. I’d take that over the other two any day of the week. There’s only one rifle I’ve built that delivered 4.5" groups at 1000 yards and that was an FN M70 with a Krieger barrel.
      Just saying.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

JRR;n6641 wrote: Hi Tim,
      What calibers and barrels will the other three use? Interested in what others desire in their customs.
      Jeff

The SS for the disabled gentleman is a 6.5X284 on my recommendation. The man will not be shooting a lot and he wants to knock over antelope at 800 yards. That has 6.5X284 written all over it IMHO. I recommended a Krieger, but he insisted on Bartlein. The stock is a laminated Richards Microfit Precision, and will be shaped to his specific shooting style by hand.

One of the Blue LA is going to be a 30XCB with a Krieger barrel, Timney trigger, and a Bell and Carlson fiberglass stock.

The other will be a 30-06 with a Broughton barrel, Timney trigger, and a Choate precision stock (on my recommendation)

The Blue SA will be a precision 222 Remington Match with a Krieger barrel, Timney post trigger, and a Bell and Carlson tactical stock.

All four will be bedded with 10-110 compound as per my usual style.

Pretty straight forward builds. Keep it simple, build it right, and do what works=tiny groups.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

Awesome, that will be great to get that old shooter back in the saddle again. 🙂

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I didn’t forget it. In fact I specifically had it in mind when writing my comment. The M70 is a modified Springfield which is a modified 1898. I’ll take a 1909 Argentine if the game may bite or stomp me. For everything else, it’s a 700. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

MTtimberline
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 37
      • Overall: 40

What twist and length will the Krieger on the 30xcb be?

tomme boy
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 41
      • Overall: 42

Tim, is there anything special about the 700x receivers? Or are they the same thing?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

26.5 inches long. Twist is standard 1-14.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

tomme boy;n6694 wrote: Tim, is there anything special about the 700x receivers? Or are they the same thing?

I’m not sure I understand what you are asking. They are all made by Remington. All different years. All different calibers. All with non-concentric threads, bolt noses, and chambers. So there was nothing special about them when they came here, but I hope they will all be very special when I’m done building them into complete rifles.
      I was just excited that there were four of them going on at once is all. Its like a Remington 700 smorgasbord.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Wait, I’ve got it. It’s the way I worded the thread.
      It’s not a 700X
      It’s 700 X 4
      Like TIMES FOUR. There’s four of them.

tomme boy
      Participant
      • Bronze

Right, but Remington makes a 700x gun that comes from their custom shop. I was wondering if you ever got ahold of one and checked to see what was different between them?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Not yet Tommy. I’ve been around some XP-100s but haven’t built on one yet. Don’t forget, its always the barrel that makes a rifle shoot. The action doesn’t really matter till you get down below .5 MOA.
      Like Larry has said many times: It only matters if you have a rifle that can tell the difference.

tomme boy
      Participant
      • Bronze

Well the man putting it together helps too!:cool:

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

If you mean the 40X they are made in a different facility than the regular 700. They are not “blueprinted”, just made right from the start. 700’s aren’t bad either. I’m a fan. YMMV

Edited to add: All 40X actions are short, even the ones chambered in “long” cartridges.

tomme boy
      Participant
      • Bronze

Maybe it is a 40x

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Call the custom shop, they will be happy to build one for you.

tomme boy
      Participant
      • Bronze

If I wanted a custom gun done, Remington would be the last place I would have build one. When you can look down the chamber end of a barrel and see the chamber is off center, that shows how bad they really are. Just ask Tim how bad they really are. From what I have been reading the past few days it looks like they just put a better barrel on it and thats it.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.