Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

Does anybody have any experience with the Remington 700 Police DM? I just took some in on trade from a sheriffs department. I’m going to put a scope on one and shoot it to see if I like it.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

308 version is 5 R rifling 1-12 twist whom actually made the barrel is subjective to dates of manufacture.

Stock usually HS Precision .  depending on manufacture date will dictate if roll mark shows 700P or 700 .

Accuracy is usually excellent  Remington 308 match (168 Sierria bullet)  is the ticket in my experience in factory ammo.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

These were made in 1996 and do have the HS Precision stocks. I’ve got some 168 match Black Hills I’m going to try.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Yes, the stock is HS precision with an aluminum bedding block. The barrel is capable of true sub MOA with proper loads.

If you end up reloading, I recommend 44 grains of Varget with a 178 ELDX or A-max bullets. Lapua brass, CCI 200 primers. Assemble to standard 2.800″ OAL using the Forster inline seating die, or one of the other BR seating dies on the market, be it Redding, RCBS, etc etc etc.

This load has proven to be a plug and play <3/4MOA solution in many factory and custom rifles that have been dialed in here at MBT custom rifles.

The only things you need to do to inhance the precision of this rifle are as follows:

Install a Timney Calvin Elite, or Jewel match grade trigger

Have the rifle stress free bedded by a professional with metal filled bedding compound such as Devcon 10-110 or Marine-tex. It’s true the rifle has a bedding block, but that is no substitute for proper bedding.

Use a one piece steel rail and steel, fully encapsulating rings.

The choice of optics has a big effect. If you are on a budget, I recomend the Vortex Viper 6.5-20×50, or the SWFA 10X. If you want the same the civilian sniper teams use, get a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15×50 or similar.

Harris bipod is a good idea.

If your scope choice raises the line of sight too much, use a Kevlar saddle cheekrest such as is offered by Karsten.

This all equates to a very serviceable mid range precision rifle. The local swat team uses these (at least they did 10 years ago) and the snipers were expected to cover 5 shots with a dime at 100 yards, shooting from a bipod.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks Tim. These are a local SWAT teams old rifles. If I end up keeping one I’ll send it to you for a tune up.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I also got a couple of mid 80’s 700 Varmint Specials in 308. Would they be expected to perform like the DM’s after undergoing the same treatment?

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

They will run close to the 700P version. Remington took quite a few of the M24s back in when the Army upgraded. They have rebuilt them and are trying to sell them. just FYI .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The varmint rifles were (for the most part) fairly precise shooters from the outset. Many were chambered in 243, 22-250, 223, 222 etc etc etc and as such were very pleasurable and precise, as well as low recoiling and the result is lots and lots of shot out rifles. The 308 is an excellent find, both because it’s more expensive to shoot, recoil is stiffer, and the cartridge is not ovebore and 3000+ round burnout is common. Thus, many of these rifles are in great shape.

If you have a borescope, or access to one, scope the throat and look for gator checking. If you find one that has a concentric throat that still exhibits tooling marks from the reamer, it’s a very good chance it will shoot very well, and probably better than the Police rifles because while the VP may have been shot a lot, the police rifles are almost guaranteed to have been shot a lot, and often.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I found a local guy with a bore scope. I’m going to try and get them looked at this week.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Update?

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

YES, and My 700 BDL Varmint in 308 is a wonderful cast bullet shooter

Mike

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That sure looks like a fabulous rifle alright!

If she spits lead that straight, then I would expect phenomenal results with jacketed.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

A customer walked in and made me an offer on all five rifles I couldn’t refuse.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Hey, that’s business!

Looks like you got 90% of the fun out of it anyway.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I have learned over the years that I can’t keep everything.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yeah. I’m at a point where I don’t hold onto anything unless it’s something special. I’ll play with a mediocre firearm from time to time, but it’ll have to pull a rabbit out of it’s hat to earn a place in the safe.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.