This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Goodsteel 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author
     redriverhunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 21
    • Overall: 42

I have been wanting to get a 300 win mag for a long time and it seems that this itch will not go until I get one.  I like the heavy barrels as much as I hate to admit it but I shoot them better. I found the Remington 85508 700 5-R Bolt 300 win mag and it seems like it has what I am looking for heavy barrel at a good price. The rifle will be used for long range target shooting and some hunting not so long range. My only concern is I have heard that Remington has gone down hill. I would like some opinions about this rifle good or bad.

thanks rrh

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2394
    • Overall: 2592

I’m familiar with this rifle.

Remington has stepped up their game in the last few years to remain competitive with Ruger and Savage, and I give them a double thumbs up. The trigger is safe, but usually atrocious and you first priority should be to add it to your tackle box for the next time you need to make sure metal shit still sinks and replace it with a Jewel.

I also recommend you tap the receiver holes out to 8-40 threads, use a one peice 20-40MOA pic-rail and a quality scope from Leupold or Vortex. Use steel, fully encapsulating rings by Leupold, Vortex, Badger Ordinence, or Warne.

Before you shoot it, push 100 dry patches through the barrel.

I recommend you start with either the Hornady 178 ELD MATCH, or the 180 grain Sierra SMK over a medium charge of H4350. Give it a .010 jump to the lands.

I have no doubt that you will get sub MOA groups right off the bat. Both the bullets I recommended will make you competitive and lethal to game (yes, with the match bullets. Use the ELD-X if you want to, but it’s not necessary) out to 1000 yards. If you want to shoot past 1000, you will need to step up to the 200+ grain bullets.

Understand that barrel life is an issue with this caliber (yeah, the 5R doesn’t really help much) so you have 1500 shots at optimum accuracy and then its going to start opening up. Therefore, lean on what you know of reloading, don’t hot dog it, find your sub MOA load and get to work putting them in the air. Don’t burn your barrel looking for a small 100 yard group. Get that rifle pointed at something 400 yards and further and use the performance to do what you bought it to do. That’s the biggest mistake people make with long range guns and I’ve got the T-shirt as well.

I hope this helps.

redriverhunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze

thank you for the reply rrh

redriverhunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I have finally got the rifle purchased, the scope is a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25×50 30 mm. I would like for some advice on a one piece pic-rail and rings. I have used ewg aluminum base and swfa rings https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-tac-30mm-1-rings-6.html. I do not want to purchase sub par stuff nor do i wish to over pay.  I would like some suggestions please.

goodsteel you recommended to tap the receiver holes out to 8-40 threads, is this something that can be done by running 8-40 tap down the existing hole or does it need to be drilled to open them up thanks rrh

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 283
    • Overall: 297

6-48 NS: #31 drill (.1200″)

8-40 NS: #28 drill (.1405″)

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2394
    • Overall: 2592

It definitely needs to be predrilled before tapping.

I reccommend a good quality steel rail, and steel rings. Warne is a great source for both of these.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us