Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

I picked up a Rem 722 in 257 Roberts. Ejection was weak with loaded rounds but good with empties. I had the ejector, spring and retaining pin replaced but ejection is still very weak with a loaded round. Thoughts?

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

One thought, the 257 Roberts is a bit long for the 722 action, and the loaded round holds the cartridge in the action longer and lets the angle move more
      slowly so it does not FLIP out of the action. Should not pose a hunting issue as you would not normally eject loaded rounds while in the heat of the hunt.
      Mike

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

These rifles are dirt simple. If you have weak ejection, then you have a weak ejector spring, or somebody sprayed it with WD-40 and it got gummed up.
      Best to just hook an empty case in there to depress the ejector, use a 1/16″ punch to drift the keeper pin, then remove the ejector and ejector spring.
      Scrub the hole out with an old 22 brush.
      Replace the spring with a new one.
      Reassemble in reverse order.

Thats all it could be.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

yeah I have a thought send it to me :D:D:D:D
      ( check the ejector and spring by cleaning first if it doesn’t fix it replace the spring) CLP aka Breakfree or kroil is your friend as well as q-tips / pipe cleaners

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I think you have it nailed.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I have replaced the spring and ejector. No change.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

I have the 722 in 6mm Remington / .244 Remington which is slightly longer than the .257 Bob with loaded rounds (exact parent case just neck the bob down and its a 6mm Remington)). It extracts loaded round with authority.

The only other thing I can think of (IF the ejector hole drilled into the bolt is clean) is the extractor (think worn or spring set) not holding the rim far enough back against the bolt face in order to flip the cartridge with the ejector pushing.
      The 721 and 722 share this part, The 700 does if it is a early 1962-1964ish before the change. Remington has not made this part for a while and supplies are kinda dry. one is forced to use used parts.
      ( these guys might have one http://www.leesgunparts.com/)

If you can’t find one the bolt can be converted to a sako or m16 style extractor PTG has the extractors. you could talk to Dave Kiff at one time they made 721/722 bolts he might know a source.

once my extractor goes, I’ll convert to either the M16 style or sako whichever MBT advises for ease of converting the bolt. sorry about going off on a tangent.

(http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?81316-Remington-721-bolt-modification)

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Numrich has complete 722 bolts for $150 but I don’t know the condition of the extractor and there is the headspace issue. A 700 bolt will work (from what I’ve heard) with some minor stock modification, but there is still the headspace issue. I may just live with it as it is not a dangerous game rifle, or I may just get rid of the damn thing. I need to shoot it first and go from there.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.