Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Last Sunday afternoon I pulled out my Romanian Draco to check functioning of a new magazine I bought. I discovered that when I am wearing my glasses (which I got last summer) that the image in the EOTech 512 reflex sight is distorted to the point I cannot use it. Anyone else have the same problem?

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

When at the tender age of 40 I got my first pair I discovered all kinds of annoying things in sights . When the bifocals came along it got even worse .

The halo and halographic type sights at a minimum “feel” weird to my eyes and are actually hard for me to see . The dot sights are almost as bad .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I have found that any optic is effected by my glasses, and even irons are if I don’t hold my head right. I do not use them anymore. When I shoot, I use clear safety glasses (or I cheat and shoot with the naked eyeball, which I HIGHLY recommend against).

Funny thing is, it messes with the parallax settings on rifle scopes. I’ll have to dial on past the mark to remove the parallax.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Getting old sucks. I have a $500 optic that I can’t use with my glasses, and if I take my glasses off to see the dot and circle I can’t see the 100 yard target! I’m glad I told my middle son he could have my Trijicon ACOG. I don’t have much use for it now.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

That’s odd, or my experience is odd. One of the two.

I’ve worn glasses all my life and I’ve used the reflex sights ever since the Army adopted them. I’ve also used aperture sights on the M1, M14 and most of my sporting rifles without issue and scopes are no problem either.

I’m at a loss to the problem as I see people using all the various sights with glasses on all the time. Perhaps a visit to the optometrist would be helpful?

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Do you have progressive lenses?
      I would suggest you are on the incorrect length part for your sights
      Me also, gotta hold my head just right, or get a longer neck 🙂
      Mike

p.s. turn your glasses upside down and see what happens
      I know, sounds weird, but try

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

Shooting glasses will often have the focal point shifted from the center of the lens to the upper left quadrant of the lens (right handers) to help with head positioning. Again, the optometrist can sort you out. There are also shooting frames with an adjustable lens that you can shift left or right, up or down.

Mike F H
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 21
      • Overall: 21

Scharfschuetze;n15939 wrote: Shooting glasses will often have the focal point shifted from the center of the lens to the upper left quadrant of the lens (right handers) to help with head positioning. Again, the optometrist can sort you out. There are also shooting frames with an adjustable lens that you can shift left or right, up or down.

Years ago I thought I had good vision but age crept up and spectacles became part of my life,I shoot far better using my spectacles with the telescopic sights on my rifles,you would think with a 25 power scope that glasses wouldn’t be needed,but this is not the case.My advice would be to consult a good optometrist.Don’t try and fool yourself they won’t get better.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

No problems here, but I opted to not go for progressive lenses. I have the old fashioned lined bifocals.

I have been slowly switching everything over to either a 3-9 variable scope or Red Dot type sights. I still shoot some pistols at close range with irons, but what 3 years ago was 50 m max range is fast approaching 25 m.

My absolute favorite of them all. The Truglo 2x Red Dot. Built in 2 x optical magnification for those long targets, combined with quick target aquisition of a Red Dot. I have 2 and will be buying more. Would like to see a 3x in person to compare.

KYCaster
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 5
      • Overall: 6

Good luck finding an ophthalmologist who can help. You have to find one who’s a shooter, who understands what you’re talking about… most don’t have a clue. Best case is to find one who’ll let you bring your gun to his office.

For iron sights on handguns, I’ve settled on the cheap reading glasses at the local pharmacy. Find the one that will focus about a foot past your outstretched index finger. Do that with both eyes…you may have to buy two pair and swap out one lens cause both your eyes aren’t likely to need the same correction. If you can get a good sharp front sight and line it up in a slightly out-of-focus rear sight, then you can center it in that fuzzy blob out there.

Red dots/reflex sights are a whole nuther animal. My long distance lenses give me two separate dots, kinda attached at the hip. My reading/iron sight lenses give me a refracted, halo effect that obscures most of the target. On overcast, gloomy days I can turn the dot intensity down to reduce the halo effect and get decent results, but in bright light the best I can do is pick one of the dots and regulate the sight for that one. The two methods are not compatible. If you have a solution, please let me know.

Scopes………Unlike the red dots, most scopes allow you to focus the reticle. If I can get the cross hairs into sharp focus then my distance lenses do fine. Biggest problem I have with scopes is eye fatigue. The older I get the faster fatigue affects my sight picture. Used to be I could hold on a spot and wait for that squirrel or ground hog to poke his head out, but now, about two seconds is all I have to get the shot off before the sight picture goes completely bonkers. Good quality glass helps a lot, but gettin’ old just sux!

I may not be able to help, but I can sympathize.

Jerry

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

Tim, it sounds like you might have a astigmatism problem. I know very well how much of a problem it can be, my cylinder correction was 4.0 in my shooting eye and 4.25 in the non-shooting eye. If I even tilted my head slightly the distortion would be severe.Lens implants took care of that.

I suggest you look at glasses made for shooting such as these.

http://www.10pt9.com/jaggi-nova-shooting-glasses-frames

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

I’ve been fighting presbyopia for about ten years now.  I discovered that my groups tightened up when I wore my reading glasses.  It helps to see that front site.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Thanks for the tip Doc, and BTW, it’s really great to see you!!!

I don’t have an astigmatism (at least not yet). I have my eyes checked regularly and I pay dude extra to run me through the full gamut and check further than is common, and dial in my prescription as closely as possible. They even set my correction for the upper left corner of my field of view so I’m perfectly corrected when shooting. Unfortunately, after all that, I noticed that my glasses bend the light as a matter of course which means it is extremely important to have the glasses on my face exactly right etc etc etc in order to have repeatability. I also have to be careful to keep them clean. All things considered, it’s pretty much a wash as to weather I wear them or not, but there’s an added safety factor when I wear them, so I usually just get them clean, push them close to my face, and get after the trigger work.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

It was me. My fault. I caused the problem.

I have discovered that when shooting from the bench I was twisting my head to get alignment with the sights, be it open, reflex, or scope. I was going so far as to align my bifocals, the part designed to be used for reading close up. Once I corrected that, I have found that reflex sights work great.

The only good thing out of my starting this thread is that we are discussing challenges in seeing our targets and sights as we “age”, as in how a fine whiskey also “ages”.

I now enjoy my grandchildren and nephews/nieces shooting my firearms better than I do. They exhibit talent and enthusiasm that I remember fondly. It is our responsibility to pass on the joy of shooting, but don’t forget to slip in the responsibility that comes with it. Include politics. It does matter.

Just rambling on, Rattlesnake Charlie

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

No…..not rambling. You’re bringing up several intertwining points that are core for many of us. Fine whiskey for example: that needs its own thread. Perhaps its own subforum? LOL!

A agree wholeheartedly with everything you said there Charlie. We can’t pass it on if we don’t take the time to get things right for ourselves.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Fine Whiskey.

It sucks when you no longer have any friends to enjoy it with.

Goodsteel
        Keymaster
        • Gold
        • ★★★

That’s a fact jack. My buddy Jason used to come have a sip with me every now and then, and talk guns, science etc. I love that guy. He’s a PHD in chemistry and we have hammered out some interesting ideas.

Unfortunately he’s recently started building a house, and its consuming every last bit of his time. I have to sneak over there and put a gun in his hand and tell him to shoot it, just to keep him in trigger time. LOL!!!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.