Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 157
      • Overall: 169

I’m looking for a used rear bag for bench shooting. I like the Bumble-bee bag with the short ears, but I’m open to most any solid leather bag…………..if I can afford it. Do you have one in the closet you haven’t used in a long time?

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

Sorry Chris. My leather bag with the ears and filled with sand is in constant use when testing loads and rifles. Can’t imagine life without it! πŸ™‚

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Protektor-Model-14-Leather-Bunny-Ear-Rear-Shooting-Rest-Bag-Made-in-USA-/232103452189?hash=item360a719e1d:g:2w0AAOSwTA9X9CeF

Figured I would find one for practically nothing which as evidenced from the above link nope I struck out.
      I’m not sure if I have a spare old one or not, but I will look around and see if so I’ll PM you.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…

I’m looking for something that will hold butt of my rifle at lease 4″ high and I need short ears (I think) because my cheek rest comes pretty low on the stock. That’s why I was thinking along the lines of the Bumble-bee bag with short ears. I’ve absolutely no experience with one, so not really sure what I need. Heck, I’ve never even seen one in real life!:o

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…

Since I’ve admitted how very little I know about commercial leather rear bags I think it would be wise of me to ask what size ears my rifle would need.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

Chirs that’s a nice looking piece of wood. Is it Maple?

Looks like you’ll want to look for something with pretty short ears. I generally, depending on the bench or the rifle, place the bag pretty far back under the stock so that I can move it forward and backward to adjust the angle of the muzzle to the target in order to refine my elevation.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…

Yes, it’s Curly Maple.

I figured I’d need short ears, but not sure what people consider “short”. Bunny ears, maybe?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Chris, if I were you, I’d just make one. ‘Taint rocket surgery.
      Personally, I like the Pro-Tek-Tor standard rear bag. It’s worked for darn near ‘er thang I drop in it.
      A shooters rear bag is a very personal thing. It’s the most important part of a bench shooters set up. It’s a lifetime purchase, and it only gets better with time. Definitely worth saving up for.
      In your situation, I would buy the same bag I use, and just pack the ears tight with sand so they can’t wrap around the stock much. should give you a perfect perch for that stock.

To get you by till then, any small bag filled with sand will do for general shooting and target work. There was a time when I tested every rifle with a 25lb front machine rest, and my rear bag, but once I figured out what a good shot feels like, I find I can make do with just about anything and make a good showing for myself.
      For instance: One of the range officers at the public range asked me to shoot his rifle and give my opinion of it. His front rest was a rubber block with a sandbag on top, and the rear bag was an army OD green sock filled with airsoft BBs. I tucked in and got the feel of it, then reproduced the same groups that he had. Now, my front rest is a stack of huge sandbags made of my old jeans legs filled with sand and zip tied on both ends, but I won’t give up my rear bag. It makes a difference when I do not have it. It’s like a touchstone. Everything else can change, but when I wrap my hand around my Pro-tek-tor, it’s GAME ON.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…

Well, I’ve been saving my money for a Protektor Bumble-bee, but my question was about your sand. You say it’s”black volcanic”. Is that what they call “heavy sand”, like this: http://www.bullets.com/products/Heavy-Sand-15-lb-Bag/BL11180 ? At this point, I have sand bags front and rear made out of blue-jean legs like you mentioned.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…

I’ve been saving for a Protector Bumble-bee bag. Right now I’m using two blue-jean sand bags much like you recommend.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Don’t have cheek rests on my stocks but the leather bunny ear will eventually conform to about anything. I dumped a lot of the ‘fake’ sand to get it to settle where I want.The ‘ears’ work but I’m not sure how/why.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

Tim, is the one you have the #12 Standard rear bag?

Jay

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…

retread;n13826 wrote: Tim, is the one you have the #12 Standard rear bag?

Jay

I believe mine is the #14A

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Tim, please post a photo of your setup. At one point you posted a photo an adjustable front rest too, but I can’t find it.

If you were going to buy a complete outfit from Protecktor, what would you get?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…

Here ya go.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…

Ò€‹

Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…

Here’s another view

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Thanks Tim.

Anyone else got photos of their favorite setup to help us still trying to find one that works well?

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β© 2017Β Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.