This topic contains 41 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Goodsteel 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
     goody 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 74
    • Overall: 92

I hope none of us ever need this but I do wander what would I really need in a simple cast reload kit. Lee reloader kits are good for jacketed bullets but for oversize cast slugs no good. I often think of a loading tool for each gun and a mold for it for the given size of that guns throat and so on. I am tempted to try put my ideas to work. maybe taking a lee reloader if available and honing out the neck would be a start. A simple mold of correct size and you would be good to go keeping weight to a minimum. I am bored so I think!!

Anonymous
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 23
    • Overall: 24

I have never used the Lee loaders, but I have a long history with Lyman 310 tools, and that would be my choice. They are very cast friendly, and turn out excellent ammo. The only problem I see is finding dies for some of the more modern cartridges, however, I see lots of dies on Ebay from time to time. Add a set of Lee dippers and maybe a beam scale, bullet molds, push through sizers, stuff for pan lubing, good to go.

Dick 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 77
    • Overall: 87

Honestly, unless I bug in or something, reloading in a SHTF scenario isn’t really something I actively plan for. I have several guns in common calibers, and should be able to umm…acquire something to shoot out of them. I’d rather be checking trap lines, fish lines, etc than cranking a press handle. If I’m in large firefights, and I win, then I can probably pilfer from the losers, just saying.

All that said, something like what Randy offers is a great thing to have in the case of temporary travels or displacement from your primary reloading shack. Say weather evacuation or something. Maybe a good set of push through sizing dies with punches optimized for hammer use and some bottles of mulesnot would be good to have around.

dverna 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 81
    • Overall: 86

Putting reloading gear in a BOB is a poor idea. Weight is your enemy. My ammo load out would be about 200 rounds of .223 and 100 rounds of 9 mm. Common calibers for which ammo can be “liberated”. You should be doing a lot more running away than fighting.

dragon813gt 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 79
    • Overall: 84

This is one discussion I never understand. I want loaded ammo and lots of it in this scenario. Like Dick said, if firefights happen you take supplies from the losers. Toting around all types of tools and components is foolish. You want a place to store them and at this point you should have all your tools as well. I have a few Lee loaders that I keep at my place in the Poconos. They are in case something happens to my hunting ammo. Keeping a small amount of brass, primers, powder and bullets there is no big deal.

goody 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Well, I really wasn’t thinking of firefights or that kinda sceneria but more of a relocate for whatever reason and need to keep only the simple what works tools. I like your press Randy but I want to work more with the Lee type of loaders. I find the more I go along in life the less I want around to worry about. I rally like the loading tools in a bag idea.

Wright Arms 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 130
    • Overall: 138

There is no preparation for this type of situation. It’s all minute by minute. And the sad reality is, if you are strong then you’re gonna take what you need from those who are weaker than you are.

There is no moral high ground here. That’s what the others are trying to tell you.

Dick 
    Participant
    • Bronze

goody;n5025 wrote: Well, I really wasn’t thinking of firefights or that kinda sceneria but more of a relocate for whatever reason and need to keep only the simple what works tools. I like your press Randy but I want to work more with the Lee type of loaders. I find the more I go along in life the less I want around to worry about. I rally like the loading tools in a bag idea.

I guess everybody has a different definition for SHTF, lol. Based off of additional info from post #7 then a small bag or a plastic pelican case/tote/etc will cover your needs nicely. Especially if you have a vehicle to help tote it.

A lb of something like Unique will cover most anything you want to load, a couple hundred primers are light and easy to pack, maybe a 50 pack of brass for the cartridges you want to load, a mallet, maybe a 3X3 inch hardwood or aluminum block and you’d be set with your lee loaders with casting accoutrement.

dverna 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 81
    • Overall: 86

If you want to throw some reloading things in a bag and put that bag in your vehicle then do what you think is right for you. But if you have to abandon your vehicle your reloading bag is a poor choice to take with you. Once on foot, you need other things that are far more important than the ability to make ammunition.

People rationalize all sorts of stuff.

Try this. Take your BOB and your reloading bag of goodies and go for a 15 mile hike in the woods and spend a couple of days in the woods. Then think about how bad it will be with a bunch of other people doing the same thing who will not hesitate to kill you for what you may have. Remember the first word in SHTF.

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

I am 63, coming up on 64, with health issues. No way I can put enough of what I have stashed in a bag and walk off with it. One caliber,sure. 1,000 primers, pound of powder, mold, lead, dies, hand primer. It would be heavy but could be done. Enough at least to reload some brass as needed.

But it is one caliber, and probably not .308 and larger. .223 or a 30 caliber like .30-30 or 7.62×39 could be done.
    Pistol ammo I think you would for a while be better off trading/scrounging for it.

Or, you have the option of bugging in, making your house look already looted. Then when the crazy times are over and you are ready to rebuild you have the tools to do so.

Tough call, but speaking just for me, I will stand my ground. Come what may.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

The whole concept of “bugging out” is a hollywood pipe dream IMHO. People do not live apart from society, they just survive for a while till they either die or create a better society that lets life begin fresh. I don’t know about other parts of the country, but here in the south, in a “SHTF scenario” you’re going to be bumping into rambo wannabes every 10 yards or so starting fires, setting snares, and trying so hard to bug out its pathetic. Some of them might even be pretty good too, but the fact is that if every tom dick and harry who says they have a bugout bag ready to go does exactly that, the woods are going to get very very crowded, very very quick. Any of you fellers ever hunt on public land? What’s it like on opening day? That’s the real bugout situation X5 you need to be planning for.

Here’s my big question: You’ve got all these armed, free thinking American people piled up in the woods together trying to “Bug out”. Why in the world (these being Americans and all) don’t they organize themselves so life is better out there in bugout land?

Here’s an even better question: Why in the world didn’t they plan on organizing with other people rather than planning only on what gun they have and how to feed it and being the only guy in the woods “living off the fat of the land”?

Here’s an even bigger question: If these guys had organized and worked as hard at preserving what we have NOW and reclaiming this country and traditional values that built it as they intend to just to survive and eat in bugout land, would there ever be a SHTF scenario at all?

Look, I’m a second generation prepper. My parents were prepping before I was born and had barrels of rice, beans, honey and molasses stashed. They also had a community unit and a regular village in the wilderness set up to be self sustaining. There were at least 5 FAMILIES (yes I said families including kids and womenfolks ) What, you think women and kids just disappear in a SHTF scenario? At least try to take care of them too.
    You see, my folks had a plan for LIFE in the bugout which wasn’t very rambo-like, but made a whole lot more sense than heading for the woods with nothing but a napsack and a rifle to keep you warm, and betting on the idea that the wife and kids got zorched by the badguys.

You say “yeah but goodsteel, I aint got a wife!”. To you I would say: In that situation, get one. Women make life better no matter how hard it is. You can’t really call it living if you don’t have the second half of your team on board. Any of you fellers ever watched Jeremiah Johnson? That’s a pretty good movie by my estimation.

It’s not that I’m against prepping fellers but honestly, why not spend time talking about REAL prepping? (sorry goody, you said reality SHTF. Should have just said SHTF. LOL! )

So, what reloader to use? What caliber?
    I recommend a Dillon 1050 or three, in every caliber preppers talk about all the time. Better yet, just buy ammo in bulk and stock it in a big 4WD van painted camouflage with big white letters on the side: “SHTF ammo depot. We trade for milk, butter, eggs and toilet paper”
    LOL!

OK, seriously, if you want something to put in your “bugout bag” a Lee Loader is really hard to beat. Love those little loaders.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Fellers, this thread has made me realize we do not have a prepping forum! I have made a new category to the off topic section of the forum, and I’m moving this there to be the first post.
    Thanks.

goody 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Talk about getting more than you bargained for!! Ha Ha this is really funny because I was raised in a menonite family and they could be the original preppers!! Rest assured I jumped the fence as soon as I got my license to drive.

Dick 
    Participant
    • Bronze

My SHTF kit is good for both bugging in and out. A handle of Jack Daniels and a Colt Series 70 with elephant Ivory. Come the end of the world, I’m going to die drunk and with style!!

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

Well mine is in refinement but amounts to a moderate truck with too much tire and a ride like a brick and a month of groceries with suitable equipment for unorganized rogues to get me to the rally point family encampment. Otherwise I’m staying put until I get my rally pick ups my salvation is in 50,000 miles of unprotecteable back roads for the first 1500 miles. . Mad Max boys …..now where’d I put the keys for the blown Cudda’ interceptor. ….. 🙂

Dick 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Lord willing, when it’s my turn to be called home, I hope my family will be standing around saying “He was to old to be hiking the Sierras and fist fighting bears.”

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 256
    • Overall: 296

You are so so and I do mean SO true.
    Be it a EMP or heaven forbid, something worse the only thing you are going to be able to count on is not only yourself but your family, friends and neighbors. Make these bonds now and keep them. The mere thought of trying to head out into almost unknown territory and survive on little is only putting you and your family in worse circumstances than you might be in to begin with. Many around here say they will head up into the mountains. Have you ever been in the mountains in the dead of winter ? Even the old timers were smarter than that, thats why they came down into Denver, Greeley and a few other towns to get out of the cold and find something to eat. Some say they will head out on the plains. Catch you squatting on my place munching on one of my calf’s and you will find out about frontier justice real quick !!
    The reality is one running from the big city may only make it a couple of miles and the traffic jam will stop them probably with no way to return home. As far as walking goes, how far can one make it with only what they have on their back especially if you have the wife and kids along?
    Only a fool will not plan for the future and to be sure some of our future right now is clouded but do the planning in a world of reality. Family ,friends, neighbors, your church, get a discussion going if you want. You can lean on each other and with a bit of planning and forethought hopefully you can make the future a bit better and even if nothing serious happens it will only make your life richer for it.

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 256
    • Overall: 296

I think you have something going there, might trade the Colt for a Smith M-29 but nothing wrong with the Jack at all !!!

VANN 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 123
    • Overall: 134

I guess I look at things a bit differently. I live in a secluded area far enough off the road that most people that live in this area always say that they never knew that there was a house back there.

My loading room is far enough away from, and behind the house where it can’t be easily seen and is completely invisible from the air, I can’t see it at all on Google Earth.

If I had to I’d leave the house and stay in my loading room until I had to leave. I have a Rossi youth gun with a 308 and a 20 GA barrel, an AR 10, and a Daewoo 223 rifle that would go with me along with a 9mm for everyone, my fall back guns are 3 45 Colt rifles and 3 45 Colt Ruger pistols. I figure at least that way when I can’t feed the semi autos anymore, at least I can make homemade BP and keep something running.

Guess after that I’ll be looking for a flintlock and making my own bows.

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

LOL well I reckon I’m a prepper too. Sitting on 2 cases of Ewan Williams bourbon. Tastes like Jack but smoother in my opinion. Price was half of Jack and buying it in bulk lowered it even more.

I figure if that brown smelly stuff ever did hit the rotating air moving device folks would be needing a drink. And I will be needing milk, eggs, cheese, fresh greens.

Keep a couple thousand rounds of ammo on hand for trading stock also. I figure when the AR boys blow through their stash that .223 factory ammo might be as good as gold. The big pile of 7.62×39 ammo does double duty of feeding my Yugo SKS and trading stock.
    And I recently added a 1000 rounds of Federal 9mm Luger to the pile. Just cause it seemed like a smart move.

Been on a “hand tools” and ” things it would be dang hard to make” kick. New set of files fits both sides, 9″ draw knife might be handy, stainless steel containers.

Anyone else like that new Ozark Trail 3 piece cooking set at walmart for 10$?
    Firesteels,aka Ferro rods,

VANN 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 123
    • Overall: 134

I figure after a few months toilet paper will be worth twice it’s weight in gold.

Smoke4320 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 140
    • Overall: 151

Also being in the country . I am a shelter in place kind of guy.. I will defend mine and those around me..
    Someone asked me once how much ammo I had in a SHTF situation ..
    answered back enough to shoot
    the intruders take their guns and ammo and use it… rinse and repeat

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

Bug OUT – really?
    I’m too old to want to walk, I’d drive out if I have too,
    but I only know a few friends in places that would be better than where I currently live
    within one tankful of gas travel range.
    – So I’ll plan on staying put.

But here in desert country the big issue is water.
    Once the electric goes so does your water – not good
    – There are lakes around here but so many people it would be a mad house.

Speaking of mad houses which SHTF are we talking about?
    – I’ve lived thru Power Outages, Snow Storms, House Fire, Flood, Forest Fire, Wind Storm,
    Loss of Community Service (Police, Fire, Etc – only things left going were water and waste)
    Is it a Black Lives Matter Mob or Muslim Jihad? What you got in mind?

Anonymous
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 23
    • Overall: 24

Artful and Smoke, I hear you. At 78 years I’m not going anywhere. We live in the country,( SW NM) have our well, large water storage tank, generator for emergency use, wood burning heat. We will hunker down and see what happens.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

After reading some of this:
    Points to consider:

Vehicle:
    Bugging out will more than likely be a one-time proposition dependent upon several factors. Fall of the economy, natural disaster, etc etc. Multiple types of transportations such as ATV’s, mopeds, bicycles, or horseback may be needed to complete the journey to your site (s). Fact is you will way more than likely have dead batteries charging system failure, strike a deer damaging the radiator, break the tire bead or puncture the tire or even injuries while enroute. Full size spares are way nicer than that donot tire that the manufacture provides. Major roadways will be congested, routes and alternate routes will need to be considered. OR, you may very well plan to sit it out where you are by developing plan to secure and maintain your domicile until better arrangements are made. Such as family members or others (no I’m not referring to any Govt type agencies, as in the scenario that most portray, or plan for those people will be concerned about their own families) assist in your evacuation procedures. That is unless a great quantity of neighbors’ band together to provide common resources and security.
    Now is a good time to evaluate your vehicle, before any emergency happens. Here are some considerations:
    Number of people riding with you.
    Trunk/storage space
    Gas mileage
    Ability to drive in flooding and rough terrain
    Height of the car
    Condition of the car
    How much supplies do you want to take with you? You’ll need to be choosy about what will go into your vehicle. Many favor “bugging in” instead of driving out. I can understand it is much easier to shelter in place. But everyone needs a “Plan B” in case you have to flee an immediate danger in your location. You will need essentials such as water, food, shelter (tents etc), as well as what you consider important (bear in mind barter). If you have pets you will also need space for them and their supplies. You may also need a gas can or two, depending on the situation.

Old versus new:
    With EMP (natural or manmade, intensity dependant) the advantage goes to the older vehicles provided that their reliability is not compromised because of age, usage, or poor maintenance. Safety, fuel mileage, availability of consumables, (Tires, Oil, coolant) the newer cars beat the older cars/trucks here. Also newer cars are less likely to have issues as the time between maintenance is greater, pre 1990s service records was service the ignition system about every 5,000 miles todays cars can go as great as 100,000 miles before being needed.

2WD, FWD, 4WD, AWD fuel economy:
    The choice will be dependent upon your plan, location, and alternate location and those routes to get there. The use of 2WD and FWD will enhance your ability to consume less fuel while not involving more wear and tear on additional components.
    Engines burn fuel in gallons per hour, not miles per gallon, ask a pilot. Put a transfer case in low range and run at a constant 2000 rpm (figuring 20 to 25 mph) then compare to high range again restrict to 2000 rpm (again figuring a ground speed of 45 to 50 mph). The gear ratios will net you double the range with the same fuel consumption in that same hour. Off roading /trail blazing will consume two to four times as much fuel as opposed to just driving to your site, and or alternate site (s). Think cache or buy a bigger tank, but because it is extra weight expect higher fuel consumption.

Engine Fuel type:
    Old surplus 2.5 Ton military truck have a multifuel type engine they will run on gas, diesel, kerosene, certain aviation fuels, pretty anything as long as it burns, it runs. In order to run pure gas (or alcohol) a little waste oil must be mixed in to lubricate the injector pump or failure will occur. this beast will climb anything and go just about anywhere it’s load rating of 2.5 tons is cross country (read that as NO road), on the road she will double her load carrying capcity with ease.

In its pure military configuration, draw backs ( low granny gearing throughout the drive train example the rear axle is 6.7 to 1) 5 gallons per hour (at hiway speed 50 mph equals 10mpg this is at best). Parts availability while rugged they do wear out parts and consumables this engine takes 1.25 gallon at an oil change. Another concern is the front knuckle boots major pain to fix and again parts availability. Does not commonly share tires with much. 24volt starting system hence a bit stronger battery system than normal cars and trucks.
    Older diesel such as the Mercedes 300D like the Multifuel can be setup to run biodiesel easily the added ability to haul more than three people is a plus.
    Older gas engines will net a better advantage outside the flex fuel type engine as they can be setup to run wood gas (that is not a typo, think 1940’s during WWII many farmers did this as gas was in short supply) see here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator).

Other considerations:
    Bumper Guard, winches, additional fuel bladders, trailers, Rooftop carriers, matching tires to multiple road conditions for better wear. Siphon hoses and extra fuel transfer cans. Communication plan (ability) for traveling and once at your chosen site(s). Observation points along the route. Binoculars are invaluable. Vegetable seeds, cane sugar, etc etc even those type of food you would not normally eat. Livestock can be domesticated then fed from such sources, garden implements , still making materials for making grain alcohol for energy source, Barter, or own usage just leave the sugars out for the stuff you plan to run through an engine or lamps for lights. Coffee and ground flour/wheat, toilet paper will be at a premium.
    Conflict avoidance is paramount along the route to your location(s)

your BUGOUT maybe to a person that is Buggin in location, as security will be a major concern, many hands make light work.

Reloading and Firearms:

The ability to reload mainstream military calibers old and current as well as those calibers you stock will be a requirement. As those types of weapons will probably be in abundance. Like it or not those mouse guns and AK calibers will be primo. The ability to barter ammo is a nice ability, hence the wide caliber ability, or use discarded weapons for protection will be needed.

What will drive your choices more than anything is powder versatility across several calibers as well as a powder that utilizes the least amount for a given desired effect. Top velocity will not be the rule, rather what provides the acceptable accuracy within a lower than normal velocity that nets game. Be prepared to make or shift to holy black at some point. Soap and oil will be your friend here. As well as being able to load for barter and or addition of a assault rifle for protection.

Snares and trapping skills will have to be added as a needed skill in conjuction of the ability in rounding up game for consumption. Live traps will also be needed as domestication of certain wild species will be needed such as wild pigs or bovine for example. Use your Firearms and reloading supplies sparingly trap or use crossbow / bows much as possible. Learn alternate methods of game getting. expend no more energy than the game offers. Use of natural and man made obstacle for security purposes will be needed. Pickup a manual on field fortifications in your obstacle plan show only one entrance yet build hidden multiple avenues of egress if marauders should show a presence and a overrun is evident.

Game calibers, the 22 hornet will regin supreme here as it will serve as a small game load, the 308, 30/06 would be the intermediate to big game caliber a good fouling piece will be needed.

Military calibers the 30/06, 308 win, 7.62×39, .223 would be useful

Side arms the 45 caliber in ACP or Colt will be useful. Next runner up would be the 9mm , and the 38 spl as there is a ton of .357 and 38 out there.

Suppressors :

will be needed as to not spook game and or not revel your location will be prime,setup for the biggest caliber hence I personally would use a 30 cal can.

at Location of Bugout:

Small town and communities will likely band together creating a clan or tribe of sorts. The Rambo type will probably not survive on his own everyone would /will need to clan and or tribe in order to survive without the super markets and necessities that we have come to expect.

Farming skills will be paramount with the ability to hunt and domesticate wild game. Establishing or joining a tribe/clan in order to establish a form of civilization will be paramount to survival.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

Been watching the DNC on Fox …… Costa Rica is looking good right about now

I liked Dana Loesch NRA ad and how Fox interviewed her about the 2nd Amendment.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

Myself, and probably many others thought the beginning of SHTF scenario was going to be the election of Hillary for the 3rd term of Obama.
    Now that the heavy pressure is off due to election results, I think the bug out types will wither on the vine so to speak. It will be another generation before the dems get back as much control as they once had. In the last 8 years of Obama, the dems have lost over 1500 seats in senate, house, governors, and legislatures. It will be a generation before they recover, especially if Trump gets the economy & jobs moving on home soil.

With all this being said, “what are we gonna do with all the stuff we been hoarding these last 8 years” ??

Waksupi 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 106
    • Overall: 112

I bugged out years ago, been in this cabin for 30 years.
    I’ve said it before, if people “bug out” of urban areas to the mountains, we will look at you as invaders, and treat you as such.
    If you think the time may come, you better do it far before hand.
    As far as hauling reloading stuff around the mountains, if I was carrying everything, I don’t think bugging out for a half mile before being too crippled up to go further will be of much benefit.

skeettx 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 197
    • Overall: 213

I find it easier to have loaded ammo available and not a bunch of reloading weight.
    Just my opinion, the loading stuff is here to make the traveling stuff.

BUT I will be one of the first ones gone as I will be home defending my stuff
    I am TOO OLD to run and I know the local resources.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

I am too old to run, but I can sure as heck load magazines and pass them forward.

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Goodsteel nailed it IMO. And if I look back, well if you put it that way I come from a long long line of preppers.

Mom and dad raised 4 kids, were pillars of their community, a little village of 135 souls. Dad was a driving force on the volunteer fire department. When he heard his neighbor was running for the school board with the idea of shutting down our little school and moving the kids to a bigger town 8 miles away. Dad ran against him on a platform of lets NOT move, lets build, add on, add services and modernise. He won, overwhelmingly, he served for 22 years, was chairman for 8 years, and handed 3 of his 4 children their diploma’s.

They lived out of a big garden out back. Potatoes, carrots, corn, onions, green beans, spinach, brocholi, it was a long list and it kept getting longer.

They lived in a big old 3 story house and half the basement was full of canned, dry or stored food.

From the year I bought my house I was prepping and did not know they called it that. I still am.
    If you have extra you stash it away, hard days will come.

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

The whole concept of “bugging out” is a hollywood pipe dream IMHO Agree. There may be situations where an small stockpile of ammo would be helpful, Rread some history, even US, Only anti-gov. movements had any accumulation of ammo & weapons. Catastrophes – nope.

lar45 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 224
    • Overall: 245

A very interesting read here with many good points.
    I have a couple of thoughts, 22lr = lots of ammo for cheap-ish. They’d be perfect for small game and a soda can suppressor is pretty easy to build. Toss 1000 rounds in a bug out bag and you won’t complain about the weight too much.
    I have a 94 F350 4×4 crewcab with the 7.3 IDI turbo diesel. Riding on 35″ BFG mudders it’s a beast of a truck. I used to run it on used veggie oil in the summer. It has 2 tanks, I’d keep diesel in one and veggie oil in the other. Just start on diesel, let it warm up and switch tanks, then switch back to diesel before you shut it off. One year we did the whole loop in Yellowstone on used veggie oil from Dairy Queen.
    Grandpa used to tell about hunting during the war when you couldn’t buy ammo… He said that he’d carry a bag of what ever ammo he had and if he ran into another guy, they would pull out their bags and trade for calibers they could use.
    As far as a reloading kit to go, I think it’d be much more practical to settle on 1 caliber, 2 at most. As much as I like my big bore handguns, a smaller caliber like the 357 would be much more economical. The Lee new style 2 cavity molds might be a good choice(lightweight and cheap).
    I have a Lee hand press that I picked up for just this thought, but a Lee loader would probably be much more practical. Add in a brick of primers, a pound of powder, powder scoops and a ladle…

Waksupi 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

If a person really worries about this stuff, they should learn how to pack horses and mules.

nagantguy 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 19
    • Overall: 23

Growing up country and a youth spent in the Corps I did manage to learn one thing besides being hard to kill, you can’t do it alone! Got a family of 4; well son that’s a fire team, or 2 gardeners, a wood splitter and a fire watch, or all those things and a fire watch! Got good neighbors? Well than move and find some, they have a family of 4, and your good brother and his wife and their kids come along and now you have a squad!! Now their is 12 people with skin in the game to gather wood cook gard n build things, fire watch, fight if need be! You can only be your own fire watch for about 18 hours, and that’s while doing nothing else!to me bug out time means bunker down and get the kith and kin close and break out the eurchre deck and anyone not playing can fire up the Dutch oven and load mags!

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

The roads will be plugged. There will way more rambo’s in the woods than edible game. Hunker down is the only option. Do at least some minor prep. If you can’t survive 24 hours without electricity (and for many this means no heat), you can’t even handle a good blizzard. Everyone should have a Rubbermaid tub with several pounds each of rice, beans, spam, vegetables, and fruit. Don’t go all dry goods and water will be critical. Store at least a gallon per person for each day you plan for. This is a minimum to just drink. Don’t forget about flushing the toilet. Someone already mentioned having toilet paper. Paper plates, plastic dinnerware, paper towels, etc. are also good to have. Don’t forget some good plastic trash bags. They can be used for much more than keeping the trash from stinking up the house. And don’t forget about keeping a low profile. A running generator will attract way more attention than you want. They will want what you have, and the longer things are bad the worse it will get. Same for woodsmoke, cooking smells, lights in the window, etc.

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

If the grid goes down I figure within 3 days most of the useable gasoline will be gone.

Can you figure out how to get gasoline out of a pump with no juice? You have 5 minutes and only the tools you have on you right now.

So my wife and I are sitting on a pair of 3 wheeled bicycles. I figure worst case scenario we do it like the VC did over in nam. Load up the bike and walk it down the trail.

I have no desire to go anywhere, I would end up having to walk away from 99% of my stuff. And some of my stuff is cool.

If I absolutely had to go, it would be by water. I have 2 kayaks, a 15 foot aluminum canoe and a 10 foot aluminum jon boat.

Wait until 3 am, load up the trailer, hitch it to the lawn mower, make the 3/4 mile drive down to the river and slip quietly away. I would lay up during the day, travel at night.

But I would much rather gather my neighbors and hold what we have.

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

Was reading some old history about the town my dad came from. Seems like a gal was watching over some kids when a few indians showed up. She imediately rounded them up and spread her apron over/around them for protection. Appears it worked. Folks there also had a Morman problem, malitia finally chased them out. SHTF is going to be more roving gangs. Now if you live below the Oroville dam or next to Yellowstone?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

GhostHawk;n14214 wrote:
    Can you figure out how to get gasoline out of a pump with no juice? You have 5 minutes and only the tools you have on you right now.

Take your tire iron and open the gas caps where they fill the tanks?

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

“Take your tire iron and open the gas caps where they fill the tanks?”

Thats a good start, now how do you lift the gasolene up from down there?

Waksupi 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Same way you get water from a well without power. Drop a PVC or other type tube, capped, on a rope into the liquid. Pull it up, and repeat.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Waksupi’s on the ball.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.