Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 95

Today I acquired off an online auction a used but in excellent condition RCBS Lube Sizer for a good price. It comes with 431, 430, 357, 358, 359, 452. sizing dies and some top punches not sure how many or what number top punches will come with it,the gentlemen was going to throw in what he had. I’m going to have to acquire a .311″ & .314″ sizer as well as a couple top punches, I can get the top punch from NOE on the .314″ mould I have.

I’m pretty sure I read that the Lyman sizer as well as the top punches will interchange in the RCBS Lube Sizer is this correct and if so is there any advantage to using one brand of die over the other. I did notice the Lyman sizer die has quiet a few more holes for lube flow.

Also a couple of the bullets I want to use with the RCBS are the Lee 150 & 170 gr. RNFP. The cross reference chart on castpics.net shows a #8 or #402 top punch for the 150 gr. Lee bullet,will that punch also work for the 170 gr. RNFP as well.

Thanks
      Ron

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Not having ever used the RCBS, I can’t answer your questions definitively, but I will say congratulations!!!!

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

RCBS and Lyman sizer dies ARE compatible. I use both with my Lyman 450.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Yep – I have a Lyman 450 and RCBS first model LAM – the sizer dies and top punches work with either one.
      One thing you can do about top punches is use a little epoxy on a spare top punch and wax the top of a boolit
      insert in the die to get the nose into the punch – then you get a custom form fitting top punch which you can
      redo at any time by just knocking out the epoxy.

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

Another tip is to let the top punch sort of float in the ram by using a dab of boolit lube on it’s stem to hold it into the ram. I removed the set screw in the ram years ago and have used the Boolit lube to stick the punch in place. this is a “Frank Marshal” tip I picked up years ago.

Ken

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

For pistol bullets with a wide flat nose, you can use a flat nose punch. I’ve got a 35 cal one that I use for all of my large pistol bullets.
      http://www.accuratemolds.com/order.php

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks for all the responses Gentlemen. Most all my pistol as well as rifle bullets except for a couple are flat nose an the others are custom NOE moulds that came with punches. lar45 I placed an order with you this morning for some 2500+,already have some of your CR on my shelf.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

Thanks, we appreciate your business. Carnauba Red and 2500+ are both great lubes and should handle pretty much anything that you can think of, except black powder maybe. We do have a good BP lube if you should ever need some.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Does anyone know what “H & I” means when referring to Lyman luber/sizer dies?

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I used to, but am blank at the moment.

Ken

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

It is coming back, that was the parts designation ( parts H and Part I ) on the parts diagram of the early lube sizers. they are sold in pairs, part #H includes part #I.

I knew it was simple, just had to sip some more coffee and think on it for a few.

Ken

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks Ken, I’ve been wondering about that designation for a while now…

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Of the two manufacturers, I prefer the RCBS lube groove design better. However, price and availability are overriding factors.

Kevin S
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 58
      • Overall: 72

For those that PC some of there bullets. You can convert a normal Lyman or RCBS lube sizer to a push through sizer in about 4 minutes of work. But the wonderfull part is that the sizer can be converted back to the normal configuration just as quickly. Unless you have misplaced the parts you took out of the sizer. Don’t ask.
      All that a person has to do it take off all of the threaded parts below the sizer die & take off the plate and pin that pushes the bullet back up and out of the sizer
      Reinstall the sizer die like normal ( without the center pin) An you are done. Bullets can be pushed through the die nose first or base first. Whichever your druthers are.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks for the suggestion Kevin. I pretty much already have every Lee push through sizer I need for everything I cast and use those with my PC bullets as well. I”ve always wanted a lube sizer so I could apply some better quality high speed lubes to those bullets I cast that have regular lube grooves an apply gas check at the same time. I’ve never had any issue using tumble lube on any of my bullets but I haven’t pushed the envelope per say either but I haven’t found the same accuracy potential with PC’ed rifle bullets as I have using TL or pan lubing. The lube sizer should make that task much easier.

9w1911
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 6
      • Overall: 9

lar45;n7125 wrote: For pistol bullets with a wide flat nose, you can use a flat nose punch. I’ve got a 35 cal one that I use for all of my large pistol bullets.
      http://www.accuratemolds.com/order.php

I cannot stress enough how well this works.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

I’ll probably be using that technique as well. The RCBS came in the mail yesterday at my brothers house so when I go down to visit tomorrow I’ll be picking it up and get it home cleaned up and ready to go. Got my order for a .311 & .314 sizer die today. I threw in a cheap Sea to Summit dry bag with free shipping so the dies get shipped free as well.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

Picked up the Lube A Matic from my brother last weekend an spend the last couple evenings taking everything apart,cleaning everything up and looking for any damaged or parts that needed replacing,after getting everything cleaned up an reassembled all I really needed was some new O-rings for the lube reservoir and sizing dies an RCBS was more than happy to send me a bunch free of charge.

I got those in the mail on Tuesday got those installed a lubed about 100 bullets last night. Took me about 10 bullets to get the proper depth set to just put lube in the groove and figure out the amount of adjustment to keep the lube flowing properly. Tonight I did 100 each of 2 different rifle bullets with gas check and everything just fell right into place like I had been doing it for years. The top punches that came with the sizing dies seem to work just fine with all the bullets I will be lubing and the 2500+ lube flows great,I’ll be stocking up on more of that soon.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Congratulations! You can’t go wrong with 2500+ lube my friend. I just quit messing around with the sticks and told Glenn to sell me some bricks of that and 2700+.
      I actually like 2700+ better because it’s not as messy in storage as the 2500+ and looks purdy, but they are both the finest lubes ever made IMHO.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

I have one (RCBS LAM) and prefer it to the Lyman hands down. built like a tank, easy peasy to use stuff breaks parts are free
      Interchange yep dies and top punches..

The Lyman dies with more holes allows a shorter stroke to size versus the RCBS. What makes the true difference is which one is produces more uniform roundness. I personally don’t buy one over the other in the dies as they are fully interchangeable. If it sizes round it stays if not new home time.

You will like the LAM a lot the LAM II is pretty good too one cannot complain

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.