Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 81

Had a few members ask me to make standard shellholder adapters for their Big Max. They only had the universal shell holders which in theory should be great, but they just don’t always work well. So, 4 down, 2 more to make. One change I did make was I made the body of the adapter about 25 thousandths longer so you don’t have to raise the ram a bit to get the shell holder out.

Here is a link to the original thread that got this all started… http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show…apter-Drawings

Tim, if a link to this site is unacceptable, please delete it. Thanks!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

One change I did make was I made the body of the adapter about 25 thousandths longer so you don’t have to raise the ram a bit to get the shell holder out.

Well now, that is a welcome change. I always wondered why they did it that way. Good call!

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze

Yeah, I guess they didn’t want the shell holder to pop out at the bottom of the ram stroke LOL!

I bet it was just a mistake on the initial design. Maybe shell holders slid in and out BEFORE the primer and paint????

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Either that, or they went with a different mold for the linkage below. It would only take a small change there to shortstroke the ram.

So what ya charging for these fine specimens of machine shop mastery?

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze

Machine shop mastery….LMAO!!!!! Yeah right! The hardest part is that pesky little spring steel clip that holds the shell holder in. I make those on the lathe on a mandrel, but they need a bit of tweaking to fit properly. I made these 4 out of 1144 stressproof (and am hoping that they hold up). It has great compressive strength and should have plenty enough toughness. We shall see. I was trying to avoid having to heat treat anything.

If you want one Tim, shoot me a PM and we can discuss. Thanks!

Oh, by the way, if you want to make one for yourself and want a copy of the drawing, shoot me a PM. I can get you that and answer any questions on tooling or making these.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That should work perfectly. Those will ignore any sort of sizing operation and probably all but the most difficult swaging operations. If you wanted to make them totally bullet proof, send them to Coleman heat treating. They have superb facilities and atmospherically controlled ovens, and they only charge $75 for runs of less than 50 parts IIRC. I use them all the time.
      That said, you’d be gaining just a little bit of an edge by doing that. These parts are designed to be structurally sound under compression and you picked the right material for the job.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze

Decided to just post them here for anyone interested in making their own.

1Bigasstxn
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 1
      • Overall: 1

Have you a redesigned handle?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.