Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Today I’m sorting brass from my shop range. I’d say its about 6 months worth. Basically one and a half five gallon buckets of whatever has been shot on my range in the course of business.

I found the results interesting, because even though some calibers are more memorable, the fact is the brass bucket doesn’t lie about what’s actually being shot.

What I found is that for rifle, 308 and 30-06 are by far the champions of the range (some things just don’t change).

Pistol is interesting because I’m finding the most common cases are 45acp and 38 special! 44 magnum is a close runner up followed by 380acp and 10mm and 9mm, but the 38 special is king, which is strange because I don’t own one and this is all a product of testing customer revolvers.

Interesting (to me at least).

Anybody else experienced a surprising result like this?

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I pick up range brass, and look at them also. Similar calibers as you are finding.

At the public ranges I’m surprised how much .30-30 and .270Win that I see.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Picking up brass at the range is an addiction. It doesn’t matter if you already have 5 gallons of 9mm, I can’t pass one up. I have hundreds of casings I don’t reload for, and can’t find anyone to give it to. Guess I should post here. Brass addiction. Yeah, I got it.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I still find uses for the oddball casings.

The big fat loudenboomer magnums can make a powder trickler, just put about half full of powder, then roll it in your fingers and trickle some out.

Cut off cases at the shoulder, solder on a wire handle, and you got a powder dipper, file & trim size to the weighted charge you want. I got bunches of brass powder dippers in my stuff, sized for loading 9mm up to 30-06.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

For pistol, I find 40S&W on the ground the most, then 9mm followed by 45ACP.  In rifle calibers, it’s 223/5.56NATO by far.  Bernand primed 7.62×39 is next.  The steel stuff is all over the place.  Lots of 223 in steal as well.  I do find brass 308 or 30’06 occasionally.  There used to be a lot more brass on the ground ten years ago, than now.  I think shooters realize how expensive shooting has become, and tend to save their brass.  (What they don’t realize is the initial expense of getting into reloading.)

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 95

The old public range I used to visit was a treasure trove of brass especially if you got there early. I pretty much set myself, family and friends up for life in common rifle and pistol calibers over a couple years time.  I ended up converting some of the 9 MM to 9 x 18 MAK and 308 Win. or 7.62 NATO brass too 300 Sav. as I had so much of the stuff.

Two calibers I shoot quite often 7.62 x 54r and 7.62 x 39 were usually a bust as mostly only spent steel cases were found, But I lucked up and found a local guy that sold assorted brass in those two caliber he got  from several local indoor ranges so I got plenty of once fired stuff for ten cents a case.

I also bought out a guy on the net that had multiple calibers of new brass, mostly PPU and Starline.  I sold off all the oddball stuff or what I couldn’t use at 60% of new cost and still made enough money to pay for the investment and pocket all this for about $15.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.