Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      goody
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 92

I was bored and wanted to do something that was under 5 bucks and found this spray can of PlastiKote in different colors. So I grapped a black can and thought of a old ramline stock I had laying in a corner for almost 30 years because it was to loud, cold and ugly. I sprayed 2 light coats on the stock and it looked good but was not durable. So I sprayed the whole can on the stock and by golly I like it. I am sure it is no where near the durability of a commercial rubber covered stock but hey, for less than 5 bucks whats to argue. I left it cure a week (has very sticky like grip) so I took the sweepings from my wood shop and rubbed them on stock and now I like it. This stuff works on wood so that old milsurp stock I believe could get some new life it you wanted to use it.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

Pics? We need Pics 🙂

Kevin S
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 58
      • Overall: 72

On CB there is a thread on just this subject. I have tried it on a mugly 10/22 stock. The system they described was simple and quick. I will go through my projects folder and try to post it.

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze

sorry about no pictures but I don’t know how to post them. Things changed at castboolits some time ago and my pictures would not post so I don’t know what to do. I think my kids are tired of helping me with the modern technology! I sure used them a lot and they are patient with me. We will try to learn the picture thing as they show up in the near future. My daughter told me to use the phone instead of computer.

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze

I am so impressed with the original stock I sprayed, I decided to do another one from my savage 111 LH. Choate doesn’t accommodate the left handed hunters so this is the best way for me. The original stock is that oversize beech wood so I slimed it sown and sprayed a heavy layer on this one. The original has really got really tuff not as soft as choate but I am well pleased. It is a warm feel compared to the fiberglass and it is quiet.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.