Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 82
      • Overall: 90

Edit, I’m sorry, I put what I loaded in the past but not what I’m working with now. I am currently working with 125g XTP bullets. My bad, didn’t realize I did that.

Ok, I haven’t loaded any 357 magnum rounds in close to 15 years and they were 158g XTP bullets.
      Now I’m looking thru my books and I see Win 231 at loads from 7.3g to 8.5g, I drop a few charges of 7.9 and 8 grains and that looks like a 1/4 gap between the bullet and powder. This also lends the thought to me that this could cause the primer to flash over the charge instead of into it. I then start searching the net and see that many folks don’t think that 231 is a good powder for 357 mag loads because it’s too fast of a powder, insert confused face because the info is published in several books.

I then look to my supply of H110 and my load book shows 21g start to 22g max and not to drop less than 3% on that powder, upon dropping some charges of 21g the powder it right up to the bullet depth if not a little above, not compressed but right there so to speak.
      So off to the net again for some research and a lot of the info I’m finding is from 14.3g to 18g which is far below the published 3% under starting load in my book.

Guys any input on the flash over if that’s what it’s called or loads you use would be a great help, I have a Dan Wesson, Ruger GP and a Smith and the last thing I want to do is ruin one.
      Also my H110 is at least 15 years old but I trust it, it has been climate controlled all it’s life so to speak, should I stay with my load book from that era? I feel goofy asking these questions but it isn’t something I have loaded a lot of and it been a few moons back.
      Also I see people using Unique and it not in my books as an optional powder?

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 73
      • Overall: 86

W231 is one of those powders that you can load low- med-hot and it does not matter — stick to loading data or very close to it
      it does not matter about a air gap —but it does work better with smaller air gap

When a powder company tell you not to drop less than 3% on that powder it –is VERY dependent on (pressure) = small air gap to burn well

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze

What triggered the air gap concern was my loading cast in rifle shells and using a little Dacron to keep the powder back against the primer. The published amount of 231 and my guess to the level of powder in a shell showed the primer over the powder when in the horizontal position.
      I think I will go with the published amount of H110 in this case.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

I load and shoot at least a thousand 231 (or HP38) loads in the 357 Magnum a year. My loads are pretty moderate though as I find that a 146 to 158 grain cast bullet is all I need to shoot out to 200 yards or so with my S&W revolvers. Recoil is mild in a K or N frame revolver and report is noticeable, but not in the maximum load category.

My favorite plinking load in the 357 is:

147 grain truncated nose (9mm design) sized to .358″ and roll crimped over the beginning of the ogive
      Any 357 case. I do keep the various brands segrated for uniformity while shooting
      CCI 500 SP primers
      6.0 grains of Winchester 231 or its stable mate, HP38

Velocity from a 6″ barrel is: 991 fps with very good ballistic uniformity

On cloudy days, there is quite a muzzle flash with this load. I’m not sure why as I though that 231 had a flash deterant, but I could be wrong.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

My favorite load in my old Python was the RCBS 162 gr GC bullet and 13 grs of 2400 with a standard small pistol primer.
      I believe I chronographed the load from a 6″ barrel at around 1200fps.

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze

I’m sorry, I edited the original post to show that I am currently using the 125g XTP bullet. The 158 that I started the post with was what I had prior experience with.
      That makes a big difference, my bad.

Does the burn rate of the 231 make the air gap not important in the instance of a flashover, like in a reduced load for say a round that guys use a filler?

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

I’ve been partial to the Hornady 125 XTP in the 357 Magnum for many years. I developed my load using Blue Dot after the usual suspects (H110, 2400 and H4227 failed to give performance equal to Winchester’s 125 gr HP factory load. I used the load data in older Lyman manuals pre peizo-transducer pressure measuring. Thus I worked up to 16.4 gr Blue Dot under the 125 XTP in Winchester cases. Went along fat dumb and happy with excellent accuracy out of my 10″ Contender and 6″ Ruger Security Six. Never a problem in either hand gun. Velocity was 2000+ fps out of the Contender and 1650 fps out of the Ruger. Then a few years back I got an Oehler M43 enabling me to measure pressures. Testing in a Contender barrel quickly demonstrated that load is way over SAMMI spec at 42,000 psi.

I see why the 49th Lyman Reloading Handbook now lists the max load of Blue Dot under a 125 XTP at 13.3 gr. That probably is really about max for the smaller and somewhat weaker framed 357s. However, the Ruger Security Six is hell for stout and will take a steady diet of top end 357 magnum loads. I now load 15.5 gr Blue Dot under the 125 XTP which is at the top end of SAAMI’s MAP for the 357 Magnum as measured with the M43 out of my Contender barrel . I suggest not exceeding the current Lyman listed Max load. However, to each his own. I am only saying what I load so if you choose to follow suit I really suggest 15.5 as a max load for use only in larger framed revolvers, Contenders and M92/M94 style lever guns.

Larry Gibson

BTW; Never had a single measured “pressure spike” with Blue Dot in the 357, 41 and 44 Magnums.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.