Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

Tim, you might know the answer to this one.

I have one of the Martini shotguns ( 12 /14 ga.) that was around a number of yeas ago but now seem to be hard to find. Condition is about what one would expect .
      Thinking of offering it here first but want to find out if it can be shipped as a antique, that is it would not have to go to a FFL or C&R.

Seems like I have seen them sold both ways but want to make sure I don’t get in trouble on this.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Is there a year stamped on the side of the action? This one is now a 444 Marlin πŸ™‚

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME πŸ™‚ unless you use a chamber insert
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhcd_iqthE

Perhaps these could be modified
      http://littleskeeters.com/products.htm

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

“I don’t know”

and by that I mean:
      1. How the heck would anybody know?
      2. Why would you want to take the chance if there’s any question at all?
      3. Why would the guy getting it care one way or the other?
      4.I actually don’t know which it is.

Personally, I don’t have this issue much. I receive all sorts of firearms from all kinds of places, and when I’m done, I send them right back where they came from in better shape than they arrived, and the only FFL involved is my own.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…

I would think that your point number 2 is perhaps the point to consider.
      Will do some more research.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Reg I would guess only be a issue if the guy buying it had a C&R (unless met Antique defintion, then a copy of DL of buyer could work).
      Personally I would not be put out if it went through a normal FFL if I was the buyer.
      I as a buyer have no problem with filling out a 4473 for a gun regardless of age or condition.

But to answer your question:
      “Antique’ firearms need not be shipped to a licensed dealer. These can be shipped directly to the buyer. An antique firearm is a firearm built in or before 1898, or a replica thereof. The exact ATF definition of an antique firearm is:

Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

yeah clear as mud…. an example would be a 14 ga that uses a centerfire would be covered as the ammunition is not readily available.
      but say the same thing in 12 ga well that ammo is available and would not be applicable but could be sold under a C&R (provided old enough) or through a FFL.
      BTW the 12/14 ga greener cartridge can be had at one place and at $85 yeahh

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I believe there is a clause about shipping a long gun in the same state. A shotgun or rifle can be shipped person to person in the same state if you have previously met the person face to face.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Glenn might be I just don’t know.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Reg, you still have not told us the year of record on the action
      Is it before 1898??
      Mike

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…

Sorry, got side tracked with canning.
      Looked at the old gal and it is a Greener and no date is stamped on it. Has the usual British markings and also I think it is called Cyrillic markings like you would see from Egypt or Turkey. It is just typical of the large Martini’s that were brought in by the crate load back in the 70’s. I would call the condition as about normal, Smooth clean metal, solid wood ( small chip in extreme upper left forearm) no blueing left but not all pitted up or rusted either. NOT a Kyber pass but a real Brit.
      Am thinking it might be best to sell through a FFl considering the current political climate we live in.
      Will need a bit of time to sit down, take pics, etc and will put it up for sale. Bought it years ago to make into a 45-70 but now have a Marlin that shoots better than I am capable of holding and really do not have any other project in mind. Also times and taste change and a big single shot no longer seems as interesting. Am thinking of selling this and trying to pick up a Dago copy of a SAA in 44-40. No doubt will have to add a few dollars but that would be no problem.
      Might also consider a trade for some other interesting whatever that catches my eye or even cash, junk silver but no chickens, postage stamps or barn cats.
      Thanks for your patience.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β© 2017Β Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.