Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

I see that both the .308 and .338 Federal are rated at 62,000 psi and the .358 is at 52,000 psi. Why would that be?

badbob454
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 46
      • Overall: 59

possibly less brass at the base ? i would follow reccomendations and be on the safe side , possibly 308 resized to a 358 may handle more pressure , ill back out and let someone answer that knows better than me

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

The 358 Win psi is based on SAAMI C.U.P. measurement as they have not updated that cartridge to peizo-transducer psi measurement. The .308W C.U.P. psi is also 52,000 psi. Ergo the peizo-transducer psi for the 358 Winchester is also 62,000. Just a matter of comparing apples to oranges makes the “difference”.

Bottom line; there is no difference in the acceptable MAP between the .308W and the 358 Winchester.

Larry Gibson

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks Larry. That makes sense

Don

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 7
      • Overall: 7

Larry: Clearly some of the hottest 358 handloads are getting pretty warm, yet still not hot as for a bolt action 700. Do you know of any reliable but not official peizo tests for top 358 loads

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

dverna;n3729 wrote: I see that both the .308 and .338 Federal are rated at 62,000 psi and the .358 is at 52,000 psi. Why would that be?

I would say it is because of the difference in bore size. Bigger bore + same available powder capacity = less pressure.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

Waksupi;n4429 wrote:

I would say it is because of the difference in bore size. Bigger bore + same available powder capacity = less pressure.

Bigger bore + same available powder capacity = faster powder to keep the same pressures. 😉

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Great discussion. You guys are spot on.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze

It would seem that bore has little to do with it. The force on the locking lugs will be a product of the area of the bolt face and maximum chamber pressure. I think Larry is correct. Or am I missing something?

I can see a lower pressure rating if the brass is the weak link, but they both use the same parent case.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

dverna;n4719 wrote: It would seem that bore has little to do with it. The force on the locking lugs will be a product of the area of the bolt face and maximum chamber pressure. I think Larry is correct. Or am I missing something?

I can see a lower pressure rating if the brass is the weak link, but they both use the same parent case.

He is spot on. As usual.
      Take it from me: 99% of the time, the only good reason for disagreeing with Larry Gibson is if you want to learn something fast.
      LOL!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.