Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Tonight, I crowned a barrel for a Ruger #1 in 22 Hornet and finished the breachface. This one’s almost ready to dip in the tanks.
      I just love a pretty crown don’t you?

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

Looks nice Tim!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Thanks! It will be!!!!
      This is a project for a member here that has been inordinately delayed. I had to learn how to build up the Ruger #1 extractor with a TIG welder and mill a new hand on it (and let me tell you: that little trick is a LOT more difficult than you would think it is!!!). However, all’s well that ends well. The new extractor seems to be cut correctly (and since I now have a fixture, the next one won’t be near so difficult!) and I’m back on track, and cooking with gas.

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 24
      • Overall: 26

OMG !!!! That’s my gun !!!!!
      Guys, Tim has been an absolute professional on this build !
      We had a deal : I supply the gun, bbl, and most importantly the correct extractor for the build.
      Well, Numrich SAID it was a 223 extractor – it wasn’t.
      Tim and I still continue to comb the net for that extractor.
      As Tim said above, learning to Tig up a #1 extractor ?????? Yikes !!!!
      He has gone so far and above, I just can’t say enough.
      This has been my dream gun for decades, Tim’s making it happen !

Thanks my friend

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 129

Very nice work! Should be something special when you get done with it.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 14
      • Overall: 15

Tim, what’s your opinion of the Brownell’s 11 degree crowning tool? I’ve used one with what seems to be good results on about a half dozen rifles so far using their brass pilots and lots of oil. One rifle I crowned recently shot a hair over 11″ at 1313 yards today. Prior to the recrowning it was throwing a flier in every group with every bullet tried. (Browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. Cut about 3/16 off to clean up the factory crown. Fliers ceased immediately.) It’s just so much quicker and easier than dialing a barrel in on the lathe.

David

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

David2011;n1218 wrote: Tim, what’s your opinion of the Brownell’s 11 degree crowning tool? I’ve used one with what seems to be good results on about a half dozen rifles so far using their brass pilots and lots of oil. One rifle I crowned recently shot a hair over 11″ at 1313 yards today. Prior to the recrowning it was throwing a flier in every group with every bullet tried. (Browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. Cut about 3/16 off to clean up the factory crown. Fliers ceased immediately.) It’s just so much quicker and easier than dialing a barrel in on the lathe.

David

I have one, and they have their place. I always use the lathe whenever possible because then I can dress a true recessed target crown and break the edge of the rifling slightly on 45 degrees as well as all the other junctions which makes a clean professional job of it.
      However, sometimes the barrel is not easily removed, and in that case, this tool is valuable. That’s a rare occurrence though.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 14
      • Overall: 15

Recessed crown. Good point. This rifle had a factory compensator installed so I didn’t worry about it. Thanks.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.