- April 27, 2016 at 12:59 pm #27384
1. Finish the Remington 721 in 30-06 aka Mo’ Chuslia
2. Rebarrel the Remington 722 in 6mm Remington aka 244 Remington, thinking of a Shilen or a Brux (#17 – 30in) in the 1-12 twist.
3. Rebarrel 1903A3 Remington (thanks to CADude I have one to flip over to that is marked close to what she is wearing), while she is down, i’ll need to bed the fiberglass stock she is in, this will be the quickest to do. Action wrench will be needed.
4. Maybe locate a cheap donor short action to build a 6×45, could do this on on the AR platform
5. Rebarrel the Remington 700 in 7mm Remington Magnum, part of me says to flip her to a 300, the other was to keep the 7mm, twist well if I stay 7mm 1-9 , in a 30 caliber lean toward the 1-12 in a heavy varmit contour.
This was bought as a loaner rifle so the priority is lower than the others.
Got a feeler out for a 7mm barrel, although I could order a new bolt from PTG in .222/.223 bolt face and build the 6×45 off the magnum.
Pro’s of keeping in a 6mm or 30 cal bore, reduces the gathering of components down to shared family.
6. bloop tube SS with .812″ id for 6″ unvented.
7. Do a 22LR centerfire Rifle leaning hard toward the 5.7×28, was thinking of a Rem 540 family or the the Win 121 as the basis will be a pipe dream maybe never be built.
What is keeping all of this from coming together is disposable $$$$$$$ LOL not complaining about it I like the challenge of getting these done with a restriction.
- April 27, 2016 at 2:55 pm #27386HarterParticipant
- Posts: 76
- Comments: 807
- Overall: 883
I’d like to find a 540 and do a 25 acp in place of 22RF.
8 have a half dozen wishbook projects but a 460S&W repeating rifle is high on that list if it were chamber ered with a cylinder reamer the true beauty of a 7 cartridge bolt gun could be fully used . ACP RB for porch possum and and a 45-60 535 at 40 kpsi just in case I need to stop a charging Freightliner. Or dislocate something.
Go with the 300 WM if you’re going to go 30 caliber in a magnum, the other just burn more powder w/o gains unless you get more barrel the WM is old school but then the 06′ is no spring chicken. About the only way to get any more out of it would be a 416 Rigby (WSM parent right ?)and neck it down to a 2.5″ 30 cal but rhen you have to mess with custom tools . I’ve come to a place where if I were to build a generational rifle I would do a 250 Savage in a long action. Then when that got sloppy it could be reamed to 257 Roberts then 25-06′.or 7.. 08,7×57 AI and 280 AI or 300 Savage 308 and 06′ AI or skip the 308. If I did a Mag 30 WSM and 300WM would be compatible probably of course in a magnum action a 300WM could go to 300 H&H AI other Weatherby or RUM and I forgot about fitting the SAUM in there.
A reamer and head space gauge is cheaper and overall less risky than barrel swaps down the road.
- April 27, 2016 at 11:17 pm #27401ArtfulParticipant
- Posts: 187
- Comments: 428
- Overall: 615
Let’s see, I want to build a rifle suppressor, Get thread adapter for FAL LH to 5/8×24 RH for two FAL’s and get a couple of gas plugs re-ported to go along with ’em, I want an Adapter from 12mm metric to 1/2×28 for my CZ-52, I need to order a .35 cal barrel and have chambered and threaded to go on my swap barrel so I can use my XCB mold. I might think about restocking my my post-64 model 70 Winchester swap barrel. Oh man, I’m getting tired just thinking about all the stuff still on the burner.
- April 28, 2016 at 12:52 am #27402chutesnreloadsParticipant
- Posts: 4
- Comments: 161
- Overall: 165
Don’t just need another burner…..I need another stove
- April 28, 2016 at 1:54 am #27405
Mounts up don’t it Art?
The Suppressor would be a interesting build once you get the round to it ya need to post pics and a tutorial. What I’m waiting on is some chicken little to say OMG that is illegal LMAO as WE (those that know you online) know it would be done in the confines of the law. On the FAL if you can find a Commonwealth (Brit, Aussie, or Canadian) barrel the threads are RH (9/16-24) versus the LH (9/16-24) on the Euro /South Africa/ South American/ Israeli versions. I want to say the late model US barrels are RH as well. But you may already know this………………………………… If I recall correctly I gave Tim a action wrench for a FAL if you have to rebarrel. Be sure to stock up on locking shoulders I suspect that will soon be harder to find.
Harter sounds like you have some interesting thoughts on the plate the 25 ACP is a idea in lieu of the 22LR
Thought further on Project 5, To do a 300 Win Mag in the 155 grs versus the 30-06 is a nothing gain, the ought six will keep up with the 300 WM in the 155gr family, Only when the bullet goes to 175gr plus does the 300 WM start to pull away from the ought six in velocity. Hmmm further thought needed.
Chutes that is a good one ,,,,, need another stove LOL
Update 30 April 2016) ………………..
Larry Gibson and I held something like a 45 minute conversation about possible calibres for the 700 Magnum action. He mentioned the 308 Norma Mag as a possible candidate. I looked further at this and it would be a good choice over the 300 Win Mag for the bullet weights I’m planning to fire.
The other thought is maybe just do a TRUE cast only proposition rifle 1-16 twist in the 30-06 calibre. Which will require a bolt change.
(some will notice that I removed the reamer prints I posted earlier they have be moved to Gunsmithing section)
- May 7, 2016 at 9:03 pm #27659MTtimberlineParticipant
- Posts: 3
- Comments: 37
- Overall: 40
My list is ever changing and the time line is sure to stretch past the two year mark. For my shooting interests, my list looks something like this at the moment.
1. Build a dedicated cast custom rifle with a slower twist for my 30xcb to carry out my own research and experiences with higher velocity cast. For this I haven’t decided to use one of the Remington 700 LA ADL donor rifles I picked up for what I thought to be a good price, or a find a Mauser action. The details keep going back and forth for this one. The only thing I have decided for sure is who I want to build this rifle…MBT!
2. Building a couple of AR rifles myself. Thinking a .223 rifle in something along the lines of A4 or mk12 type build and a .300 blackout carbine.
3. Modify my Mosin or obtain another to modify for a receiver mount scope. I already have invested in the brass, mould and different dies for this. It has been fun and proved good results but I think the open sights are limiting the potential for the accuracy results I am really wanting. Starting to realize that getting older is a reality that sucks with iron sights and eye sight.
4. A 6.5 creedmoore rifle but is farther down the list. Started out as a 6.5-284 idea which is what the Remington 700 LA were intended for, but the creedmoore has caught my attention.
5. Investing in a progressive setup for pistol and potentionally small rifle applications if there are AR additions. I’m not sure if it will be blue or the new green. My wife has taken up interest in shooting pistols with me and has pretty much claimed my beloved Sig. She has good taste. Do not need to go into detail about how hard it can be to keep up with the loading demands with a single stage press.
- June 16, 2016 at 12:39 am #28467
- June 16, 2016 at 5:35 am #28475ScharfschuetzeParticipant
- Posts: 3
- Comments: 190
- Overall: 193
I’ve got to get busy and rebarrel a Colt HBAR for match shooting.
I’m also in the process of refinishing a 20 gauge Remington 870 before pheasant season. Unlike the HBAR, it’s almost finishes.
- June 17, 2016 at 1:05 am #28487
Which Twist 1-9 or 1-8 ?
- June 24, 2016 at 1:05 am #28592ScharfschuetzeParticipant
- Posts: 3
- Comments: 190
- Overall: 193
1 in 8 I think. The 1 in 9 twist on my .223 bolt match rifle won’t quite stabilize the plastic tip 75 grain Hornady match bullets that I like for the longer ranges. It shouldn’t over stabilize the lighter bullets too badly.
- June 25, 2016 at 3:23 am #28598jwtParticipant
- Posts: 2
- Comments: 18
- Overall: 20
1. Achieve HV with lead in my 270Win model 1950 Steyr Mannlicher.
This is what is should look like after assembly.
3. Build a Mueller single shot in 38-55.
4. Build maple end tables.
5. Build oak library shelves.
6. Build maple living room shelves.
7. Find a rolling block action to build a custom rifle. Caliber TBD.
I’m going to need more time….. :rolleyes:
- June 25, 2016 at 7:09 pm #28603Rattlesnake CharlieParticipant
- Posts: 152
- Comments: 679
- Overall: 831
Getting my 1948 Chevrolet 1.5 ton farm truck on the road again. She ain’t been tagged for close to 30 years. I’m the 3rd owner. She got her nose bent in the tornado in early May, but looks pretty good otherwise. At least in my eyes. I probably drove that truck 50 miles in first (granny) gear before I got my license at 14. By then, I could see over the steering wheel. It never had the power to move a 5 ton load of wheat in the soft field in 2nd.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.