Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I started with about 5 gallons worth. Polishing took some time even with my large tumbler from Harbor Freight. Resizing and depriming? Thank the Lord I purchased a RCBS Supreme press. It would have been much more arduous with the old RCBS Rockchucker Jr I purchased in 1975. For the last three nights I’ve been using a K&M flash hole uniformer tool in a small electric drill to ensure no burrs would plug the hole when removing the military crimp that way too may companies seem to add to their brass. A small blister is forming on my left pointer finger where the brass spins when I hit a stubborn spot. I believe I’m close to half way through the tub with this step of prep. I hope I can produce ammo that equals factory stuff. Sure is a lot more work than .45-70 or .45 Colt.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I have done what you are doing, but I have found I only do small batch’s. I will work through 100 rounds, deprime, citric acid wash, dry, clean primer pockets, reprime, charge and seat boolits. After I have done a hundred rounds I find I do not want to see those .223’s for about a year.

But I am not trying to feed an AR either. My .223 is a H&R Handi rifle single shot. So a couple hundred rounds would last me a long long time.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I did 1000 last fall for prep I got about 250 loaded and lost my drive .

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

If there wasn’t snow on the benches and mud out to the targets, I’d likely be losing drive. Right now, it keeps me busy and from going insane. Definitely a “winter project”.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Finished sizing and depriming last weekend, and now have finished deburring and uniforming flash holes. Next comes either trimming or removing primer crimps.

Attached is a photo of my left hand upon finishing the flash hole deburring. I don’t think the indent in the thumb will be permanent. What was starting as a blister on my pointer finger has turned into a callous.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

Fortunately, once done and that’s it other than the normal reloading steps.

I generally only do a hundred or so at a time as needed. With the upcoming NM shooting season coming up, I’m going to have to inventory my supply and probably process another hundred or so.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

I hate processing this brass. Every time I do so I’m tempted to buy a Super 1050 so I can do it all in one pass. It’s the price tag that prevents me from doing so 🙁

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Get RCBS regular X die to FL size for gas guns and your hard work won’t be in vain as they’ll last for many, many firings.

Larry Gibson

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That is the die set I used. I’m glad I made the correct choice when purchasing. Sometimes even I get lucky.

tomme boy
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 41
      • Overall: 42

All of my 5.56 brass goes to the scrap yard. Not worth my time as I have access to thousands of rounds of commercial cases. I even sell the commercial once in a while as I get too many. I tried to sell the 556 brass but no one wanted it so the scrapyard is giving $1.78/lb right now. Soooooo

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

tomme boy;n14772 wrote: All of my 5.56 brass goes to the scrap yard. Not worth my time as I have access to thousands of rounds of commercial cases. I even sell the commercial once in a while as I get too many. I tried to sell the 556 brass but no one wanted it so the scrapyard is giving $1.78/lb right now. Soooooo

I’m surprised you cannot sell the 5.56 brass. Brownell’s currently is offering BRASS GUYS – 5.56MM NATO REMANUFACTURED BRASS at $149.99/m. It is listed as having been cleaned, deprimed, sized, primer pockets swaged, and trimmed to length.

BTW, my OP was to offer some humor into an arduous task, and has brought the added benefit of several knowledgeable members offering suggestions on how to make the task more efficient. The cost of the brass has not been an issue as it has been collected over a decade of picking up at the range. I now have over 4K in the batch. I would still like to accumulate more large batches of a single brand/lot etc. Please post in the General Store forum what you would be willing to sell some as described. I am interested.

bullet maker
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 76
      • Overall: 88

The RCBS X dies work very well.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I use the Lee trim die as a holder to save my hands. You could probably use it to deburr the flash holes as well. Didn’t have much use for it as a trim die, as I could get no consistency in length with it when used as intended with their steering wheel knob driven cutter, but it works like gang busters as a brass holder.
      i put a short pistol cleaning rod through it to push the brass out when I’m reaming the primer pockets, but you could do the same with the drill. Just let off the trigger and push. Out she comes.
      it just uses O rings to hold the brass. Works real well as a hand tool.

tomme boy
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 41
      • Overall: 42

Most what I find is the FC 556. And LC. We have a huge commercial loader here and he uses whatever brass he gets. It is all run through a swager. I look for silver primers in the 556 and that is usually a reload. They still go right to the scrap bucket. Been finding lots of winchester lately. For the longest time it was Remington. Heck I auctioned off a large flat rate box one time over at the other site. I had too many at the time. I have right about a 5 gal bucket of 1x fired commercial right now. I been slowly working on it.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.